Steven Wilson Tales From Topographic Oceans: your mix of "Revealing Science" with the cut intro?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoker

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hi Steven,

Was very pleased to hear the sampler of your mixes posted to SoundCloud today. Of course, it's only a sampler, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but... I noticed that the first sample from "The Revealing Science of God" started right from Jon Anderson's first vocal entrance ("Dawn of light..."), just as the original release starts and as I would expect the "default" version of your new mix to start. For those who have known the album from the beginning or at least since before 2003, I can only imagine that this would be their expectation, as well. However, having been first introduced to the album through the 2003 Rhino remaster, I've become accustomed to and fond of the intro that was originally cut for time, but restored for the Rhino release. According to Paul Sinclair, that intro will be present on the Blu-ray, at least in its original mix (and possibly using the same mastering as the 2003 Rhino CD). I also see references to your mix of an extended "Dance of the Dawn." What I'm wondering is this:

Is there a version of your mix—stereo, surround, or both—that includes the intro, with no other changes? Will it be a selectable "option" when playing the album proper?

Thanks,
- Rick

(P.S. I believe we both know David Earl, a.k.a. SFLogicNinja. He has been my Logic instructor here in San Francisco. I also just started mixing music in surround, albeit in Pro Tools... Fun times ahead!)

Last edited:
Back