YES - GFTO, Tormato, Drama, Asia - Asia Update

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi everybody,

Last night I saw YES at Long Island NY and I met with the band after the show.

I spoke with Steve Howe and asked him if the multi-tracks exist for Going For the One and Tormato.
He said: "Yes, definitely". He said something about they could definitely do that in the future...
I told him that the five Steven Wilson remixes have given new life to YES music and I'm sure I made my point clear
that we want more 5.1 YES mixes. Steve Howe is so hard to read but he definitely got my point.

I asked Geoff Downes about the multi-tracks for Drama. He said they are lost and he also said the tapes for Asia - Asia are lost
and he reminded me of what we all know that "nobody back then really thought to keep those tapes..."

Having said all this: I met YES after the 1996 San Louis Obispo concert and I asked Chris Squire if that lineup would be playing any more shows.
He shook his head and waved his arms NO. Squire was adamant there would be no more. Well.. YES had two world tours with Wakeman and toured for 10 years with Chis, Alan ,Steve & Jon with another keyboardist...So even the artist doesn't always have the straight answers.

Fact is: Steve Howe said definitely yes, that the multi-tracks exist for Going For The One and Tormato. That's the positive news I can share
with all my mates here.

P.S. The show was fantastic, they were surprisingly tight and the two tracks from Tales were played with new life and vigor. In addition the entire Drama record was performed flawlessly. This is not the place to post negative shit about YES. If you have crap to say against the current lineup, please keep it to yourself and walk to the nearest mirror and feel free to play "Spot The Looney". (y)

Wow Dennis, that's great. We can but hope, I do like Going For The One.

You have hit the nail on the end with the remixes gives a new life to the music, I agree totally. Of all those albums I've had for years by various bands, its the 5.1 remixes I play the most now.

Hi everybody,

Last night I saw YES at Long Island NY and I met with the band after the show.

I spoke with Steve Howe and asked him if the multi-tracks exist for Going For the One and Tormato.
He said: "Yes, definitely". He said something about they could definitely do that in the future...
I told him that the five Steven Wilson remixes have given new life to YES music and I'm sure I made my point clear
that we want more 5.1 YES mixes. Steve Howe is so hard to read but he definitely got my point.

I asked Geoff Downes about the multi-tracks for Drama. He said they are lost and he also said the tapes for Asia - Asia are lost
and he reminded me of what we all know that "nobody back then really thought to keep those tapes..."

Having said all this: I met YES after the 1996 San Louis Obispo concert and I asked Chris Squire if that lineup would be playing any more shows.
He shook his head and waved his arms NO. Squire was adamant there would be no more. Well.. YES had two world tours with Wakeman and toured for 10 years with Chis, Alan ,Steve & Jon with another keyboardist...So even the artist doesn't always have the straight answers.

Fact is: Steve Howe said definitely yes, that the multi-tracks exist for Going For The One and Tormato. That's the positive news I can share
with all my mates here.

P.S. The show was fantastic, they were surprisingly tight and the two tracks from Tales were played with new life and vigor. In addition the entire Drama record was performed flawlessly. This is not the place to post negative shit about YES. If you have crap to say against the current lineup, please keep it to yourself
and walk to the nearest mirror and feel free to play "Spot The Looney". (y)

with all my mates here.

Wow, thanks for getting us that tidbit, DMJ!
So it looks like based on what Steve said about the multi-tracks for "Going for the One", when SW says they are 'unavailable', it doesn't mean they are missing.
What it probably means is there has been no agreement made (up till now) to remix and reissue that album.
So if you all want "Going for the One" to get remixed and released, go buy "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and all of the other Yes definitive editions!
As for "Tormato", no amount of remixing can save that record, so I really don't care if that one is ever remixed.

Yes yes yes to GftO......tormato, no thx agree with rt - even the sw magic won't help that one

Yes yes yes to GftO......tormato, no thx agree with rt - even the sw magic won't help that one

About Tormato. To rt & doppelbock: I truly have found peace with the concept that we all have different musical tastes. I don't need to push Tormato on anybody but...

I would say that the music itself stands up rather well.

On The Silent Wings of Freedom - One of the best songs YES ever did. The bass work just might even be Chris' best.
Future Times/Rejoice - Pure YES with all partners playing equal. A mini-Sound Chaser but with Wakeman on Keys
Release Release - A fantastic rocker a la YES
Madrigal - Simply elegant with a beautiful antique harpsicord, classical guitar & vocals.
Onward - Now that Chris is gone, this song is even more precious & poignant.
Arriving UFO - Bombastic

We all know that Eddie Offord left YES during the recording and that the master tape wasn't played back with the correct dolby setting, causing the 2.0 master to have a muddy sound. That is the problem with Tormato. Not the music. Rick Wakeman commented on how GFTO was mostly done by the time he arrived, but that Tormato was a true equal YES contribution. I think that shows.

I personally ask the group to support Tormato's 5.1 release(doesn't mean you have to buy the bloody thing!) for the furtherance of our wonderful hobby. I do think that a 5.1 remix from the multi-track with the correct noise reduction bias would be a revelation. Onward indeed!

@EdisonBaggins: GFTO always had a harsh & brittle sound to it. A dubious choice by the producer. I dream that a 5.1 remix will soften it up and make it more full sounding like CTTE or Tales.

Just as I would buy a surround mix of GFtO for Awaken, I would buy a Tormato surround mix for Silent Wings of Freedom. I believe that Steve's new mixes would help the other tracks to seduce me, as his work with KC has changed my opinion and pleasure-factor for several of their albums. I too hope for a less brittle GFtO and a less muddy Tormato, if these remixes come to pass.

About Tormato. To rt & doppelbock: I truly have found peace with the concept that we all have different musical tastes. I don't need to push Tormato on anybody but...

I would say that the music itself stands up rather well.

On The Silent Wings of Freedom - One of the best songs YES ever did. The bass work just might even be Chris' best.
Future Times/Rejoice - Pure YES with all partners playing equal. A mini-Sound Chaser but with Wakeman on Keys
Release Release - A fantastic rocker a la YES
Madrigal - Simply elegant with a beautiful antique harpsicord, classical guitar & vocals.
Onward - Now that Chris is gone, this song is even more precious & poignant.
Arriving UFO - Bombastic

We all know that Eddie Offord left YES during the recording and that the master tape wasn't played back with the correct dolby setting, causing the 2.0 master to have a muddy sound. That is the problem with Tormato. Not the music. Rick Wakeman commented on how GFTO was mostly done by the time he arrived, but that Tormato was a true equal YES contribution. I think that shows.

I personally ask the group to support Tormato's 5.1 release(doesn't mean you have to buy the bloody thing!) for the furtherance of our wonderful hobby. I do think that a 5.1 remix from the multi-track with the correct noise reduction bias would be a revelation. Onward indeed!

@EdisonBaggins: GFTO always had a harsh & brittle sound to it. A dubious choice by the producer. I dream that a 5.1 remix will soften it up and make it more full sounding like CTTE or Tales.

Well put, I would love to see Tormato done as well and as you put it would be a revelation if mixed properly in the hands of hopefully SW.
I like most of the songs on this album and would get it just for the song Onward.

Well put, I would love to see Tormato done as well and as you put it would be a revelation if mixed properly in the hands of hopefully SW.
I like most of the songs on this album and would get it just for the song Onward.

I've gotta say: I'm completely unfamiliar with Tormato, but well aware of it's reputation, probably why I've always avoided it. And "Tormato" is kind of a dumb name. But I'm giving it a first-time listen on youtube right now, about half way through, and... well... I'm really not understanding the hate this album receives.

While I haven't really heard anything outright amazing, like the first time I heard "And You And I", or "Close to the Edge", it's still very much Yes, and there's some serious potential here surround-wise.

Anyway, I'd buy.

I beg to differ. I have both the SACD and the 2003 Rhino release, and find the Rhino release sounds WAY better to my ears.. just my two cents.

To each his own, but I find the 2003 Rhino remasters to be compressed and super bright and prefer the natural sound of the Audio Fidelity SACD (NOT the Japanese "High Vibration" SACD, that's an abomination!).

Love or hate the song (and many people lean towards the latter), I think "Circus of Heaven" from Tormato would really benefit from a surround sound mix and be quite enjoyable that way.

Back