Buying Multichannel SACDs - New Albums & Reissues - Get Them While You Can

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I'd wager it would never make it to the radar screen. Quad is archaic to industry people today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wager it would never make it to the radar screen. Quad is archaic to industry people today.

I suppose you're correct but ironically, BD~V/A does register as 5.1, 7.1 and as Auro 3D so one could only hope in the interest of accuracy, 4.0 could be included as well. Not holding my breath, though and in the grand scheme of things really doesn't make a difference as long as the player outputs the correct signals to the pre/pro ... which it does.

There is no equivalency; SACD is a 2003 format that is supported on universal players largely as a courtesy. Blu-ray is a current thriving format.

There is no equivalency; SACD is a 2003 format that is supported on universal players largely as a courtesy. Blu-ray is a current thriving format.

IMO, timbre4, BD A/V is THE finest CONSUMER format ever released. Ashame that BV~A isn't more widely utilized but of course it's that backward compatibility factor with RBCD players that the 'hybrid' SACD is more in favor. The Universal players excel at BD V/A playback more so than both DVD~A and SACD....and especially RBCD.

More like brand new in the sense that they had access to either the original analogue QUAD master versus a 16/44.1 ADAT master from which DTS Entertainment RBCD was minted. There is an effortless quality to the recording and the surrounds and fronts blend together in a seamless fashion, much the way the AF QUAD FULL SAIL flows.....in other words, non gimmicky.

A little pricey but compared to AmazonUS ($81), CDJapan does offer the best price (roughly $50 delivered). I'm normally opposed to fancy packaging which adds a premium to the price but SONY has created a very cool 'giftwrap' for BB&A.

I'm hoping that robust sales will spur SONY to release other QUAD/5.1 SACDs from their arsenals as it would be a cryin' shame to keep these treasures under wraps.

With Sony Japan doing the production and dist. of this effort (kind of in-house), and the higher than normal price point, they don't need as strong sales to make this a success, and worth continuing with more titles. It won't end up in the cutout bins so to speak.

I don't honestly know how large the quad / surround market is currently, but of course these Sony SACDs are not only for that market. Overall, it will sell out it's run, not driven by the surround market.

I might have to bite the bullet and buy this one, as it is 70s Jeff Beck, and it rocks.

I always knew that quad was coming back. I knew this in 1986 when CDs were heading for the stratosphere. I figured CDs would be the way quad could come out again in discreet form. I was sort of right.

But what I did not imagine is that it would take so many more years to get vintage quad in perfect sound reproduction like we have seen in very recent years. I guess the original Sony SACDs should count, because some very high quality vintage mixes did arrive back then 15 years ago.

It's been a long haul regardless. This year, and last seems like another breakthrough year to me. We finally got some deeper album titles excavated from the vaults. We got the attention of various other labels by demanding certain things. There is a domino effect that I saw happen, and it was not just in my head.

A reminder to everyone here. When you see Multichannel SACD titles - and reissues - that are of interest, be sure to get them early on.

Unlike the early days of SACD, the new releases and reissues today are being made in much smaller quantities than in the past.
Once the initial run of a Multichannel SACD sells out, another run may - or may not - be made by the record company, depending on sales.

Bottom Line: Best to get the Multichannel SACDs you want before they disappear.

I'd like to buy extras of the hottest ones while they are a available, and do trading later. I have my hunches on which titles will be the rarities in collectors circles. But all of them limited and all will be gone before we know it.

Back