Ben Craven - Last Chance to Hear (BluRay Limited Release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll buy it :upthumb We at QQ must have bought quite a few of his only 5.1 release then!

From Ben Craven Facebook page:
Considering making life very difficult for myself and mixing the "Last Chance To Hear" album launch audio in 5.1 surround for a limited blu ray release. Heartened by the belated response to "Two False Idols" in surround!

https://www.facebook.com/BenCravenMusic/posts/10154293487032435

Special mention to Adams Bandcamp page which made all the difference!(y)

Thanks for the link to his facebook page. Just sent him an encouraging blurb. And it should sound great (Last Chance To Hear) in BD~A as Two False Idols sounded glorious in lossy DTS. I also told him he's a pro at surround mixing which is NO SMALL FEAT.

Hi everyone - thank you so much for all the feedback and the unexpected interest in "Two False Idols" that has come from this forum over the last few weeks! I really appreciate it.

It's fair to say my surround release hardly made a splash at all ten years ago (and helped me decide to stick to stereo for the next two albums). It's a wonderful surprise that people are finding out about it now.

Just to clarify my FB post quoted above .. I held an album launch for "Last Chance To Hear" in April, which we captured on a couple of cameras and recorded isolated guitar and vocals. That's what I'm mixing at the moment and planning for some sort of blu-ray release.

But thanks to the feedback I've had from this forum I've decided to mix it in 5.1. And you guys have given me the excuse I need to go back and mix/remix the actual albums in surround, offer lossless 5.1 download options, etc.

(The way the music business is going, I'd like to give my catalogue a high-resolution spring clean anyway to offer a valid alternative to streaming!)

Hi everyone - thank you so much for all the feedback and the unexpected interest in "Two False Idols" that has come from this forum over the last few weeks! I really appreciate it.

It's fair to say my surround release hardly made a splash at all ten years ago (and helped me decide to stick to stereo for the next two albums). It's a wonderful surprise that people are finding out about it now.

Just to clarify my FB post quoted above .. I held an album launch for "Last Chance To Hear" in April, which we captured on a couple of cameras and recorded isolated guitar and vocals. That's what I'm mixing at the moment and planning for some sort of blu-ray release.

But thanks to the feedback I've had from this forum I've decided to mix it in 5.1. And you guys have given me the excuse I need to go back and mix/remix the actual albums in surround, offer lossless 5.1 download options, etc.

(The way the music business is going, I'd like to give my catalogue a high-resolution spring clean anyway to offer a valid alternative to streaming!)

Great to hear Ben. Thank you.

:cool: More :51banana: That's great to hear, keep us posted.

While looking up some Ben Craven interviews on the net came across this nice one:

http://www.mwe3.com/reviews/BenCravenTFI/

AS I just got "Two False Idols" which I really like, here was what Ben said were his influences for that album:

"My main influences on Two False Idols were Pink Floyd, John Lennon, David Bowie, even Sheryl Crow’s The Globe Sessions, and good old honest classic rock. "Enough About You", for instance, was an attempt to create a Chuck Berry-Beach Boys-country hybrid. On the other hand, to completely contradict myself, "Golden Band" might have been a pop song written by Bernard Hermann."

After listening to it, do hear some of those influences for sure but all in a good way as Ben has cleverly made a album all his own, its not a copy/cat of his influences.
For sure will be getting any more surround albums from Ben as his music is very good and his mixing skills in surround are very good as well. Nice discreet mix and nice dynamics.

peter

Hi everyone - I've had several requests now for lossless surround downloads for Two False Idols. I've tracked down the original discrete WAV files from 2006 and want to make them available. 16/48 only, sorry!

My question to the forum - what is your preferred file format/container?

My apologies if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has. I have searched around a bit, but not found a definitive answer. I'm assuming 5.1 FLAC is the main way to go. Do people prefer individual song files, or one large FLAC and a CUE sheet? (I'll probably do both anyway.) MKV? MP4?

Thank you very much for your help!

(Now I still want to remix my catalogue into 5.1, starting this year. But given how long that might take, there's really no sense in not making this mix available in the meantime. And, obviously, anyone who already purchased the DTS CD from Bandcamp will get a free download.)

Hi everyone - I've had several requests now for lossless surround downloads for Two False Idols. I've tracked down the original discrete WAV files from 2006 and want to make them available. 16/48 only, sorry!

My apologies if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has. I have searched around a bit, but not found a definitive answer. I'm assuming 5.1 FLAC is the main way to go. Do people prefer individual song files, or one large FLAC and a CUE sheet? (I'll probably do both anyway.) MKV? MP4?

(Now I still want to remix my catalogue into 5.1, starting this year. But given how long that might take, there's really no sense in not making this mix available in the meantime. And, obviously, anyone who already purchased the DTS CD from Bandcamp will get a free download.)

I just played your DTS Two False Idols disc the other night and I must say it's superb both musically and sonically.

I'm still old fashioned and don't download music at all but since you asked, if you embark on the VERY arduous task of remixing the entirety of your back catalog into 5.1, why not consider blu ray audio [BD~A] as the carrier. I'm sure all your albums could comfortably fit on a single blu ray audio disc in LOSSLESS [96/24] surround and you could charge accordingly for your efforts.

As an example, independent musician BARTMAN has released four of his albums remixed into surround as a single BD~A release (as well as downloads and individually as DVD~Audio discs): For reference: http://www.bartman-music.de/shop.htm

Hi Ben, thanks for getting back to us.

For me individual flac files work the best. Great that you will make them available for free for the bandcamp purchasers of the DTS CD.

Looking forward to the rest in 5.1 :)

Individual flac is best for me! I may still buy the standalone DTS as well, so free flacs with purchase is appealing!

I would like it as flac too! - Converting my other stuff to flac.... Looking forward to hear it i 5.1. Have heard some of your tracks on youtube and it's sounds nice!:)

Ben, whatever you decide, I'm in as getting your dtscd of 'Two False Idols' is easily in my top 10 surround purchases from last year, really enjoy that album and can play it in the car as well as my car audio does dvd audio and dtscd.
Thanks for sharing your music with us.

peter

Hi Ben,

FLAC 5.1 is ideal. Will newer albums be 24-bit/96kHz?

And thanks, its a nice surprise to know I'll get a free download as I've purchased the DTS album.

Cheers

Duncan

Back