Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys: Machine Gun and People, Hell & Angels on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, it doesn't say in the press release though who is releasing the SACD. (It certainly can't be Sony themselves, my best guess is Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds)

The News Release says the album reissue, including SACD, is coming from Sony Music's Legacy Recordings label.

"Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, is home to the world's foremost library of historically significant commercial recordings, a peerless collection of works by the most important musical artists of the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Across a variety of platforms, the label offers contemporary music fans access to thousands of meticulously restored and remastered archival titles representing virtually every musical genre including popular, rock, jazz, blues, R&B, folk, country, gospel, Broadway musicals, movie soundtracks, rap/hip-hop, world music, classical, comedy and more."

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...gh-resolution-sacd-and-digital-300310765.html

The News Release says the album reissue, including SACD, is coming from Sony Music's Legacy Recordings label.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...gh-resolution-sacd-and-digital-300310765.html

I'll believe it when I see it.
Sony gave up on SACD over a decade ago.
Sure they are happy to license out their catalogue for release on SACD to other labels, and we do see SACD releases directly from them overseas, but domestically, SACD has been dead to Sony for too long.
I still think it will come from Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds in conjunction with Sony & Legacy.

Analogue Productions is not involved in this SACD release. It's from Sony Music US.

It DOES make perfect sense, Brian (and rt) as SONY LEGACY did release the remastered Hendrix albums on RBCD/DVD a few years ago which were sanctioned by the Hendrix family trust....under EXCLUSIVE license to SONY. This should be an important release and perhaps based on sales will augur the release of Hendrix's other albums on SACD as well.

And wouldn't it be a hoot if these SACDs were pressed in SONY's Terre Haute Indiana plant.....or am I getting ahead of myself?

Will this be a multichannel release? Release date: September 30th.

https://legacyrecordings.com/2016/0...released-in-its-entirety-for-first-time-ever/

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it.
Sony gave up on SACD over a decade ago.
Sure they are happy to license out their catalogue for release on SACD to other labels, and we do see SACD releases directly from them overseas, but domestically, SACD has been dead to Sony for too long.
I still think it will come from Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds in conjunction with Sony & Legacy.
The SACD format has been written off for dead several times. Last I heard the plant in Austria is backed up six months of pressing orders.

It is possible this could be multi Channel as there is some BOG songs on Hendrix DVDs in 5.1
Perhaps this is why it's coming on SACD?
Could this be the start of an exciting time for Hendrix fans ?

The SACD format has been written off for dead several times. Last I heard the plant in Austria is backed up six months of pressing orders.

The SACD pressing line in Japan is back on line after sometime where only the SACD pressing line in Austria was active.
Record labels now have a choice as to which of the two SACD pressing lines to use for their upcoming SACD releases.

It is possible this could be multi Channel as there is some BOG songs on Hendrix DVDs in 5.1
Perhaps this is why it's coming on SACD?
Could this be the start of an exciting time for Hendrix fans ?

Even if this was announced as MCH I would not be too excited. Eddie Kramer is mixing the project (has mixed, likely) and his other 5.1 mixes for Hendrix on the Woodstock video and others are underwhelming at best. With a live power trio the options are limited, but on the Woodstock performance there was plenty to work with assuming available multis, but the mix is not discrete.

Of course the studio LPs are ripe for surround treatment, again depending on what tracks are available. I doubt Are You Experienced has much to work with, for instance.

Band Of Gypsys was a three person lineup. It probably could be spread over the sound field better than just stereo, but nothing I have heard from Eddie Kramer suggests he is likely to put anything more than ambience in the rears.

And besides the SACDs released on independent reissue labels (like MOFI, AF, and AP) how many of those SACDs are released domestically in the US on major labels?

Even if this was announced as MCH I would not be too excited. Eddie Kramer is mixing the project (has mixed, likely) and his other 5.1 mixes for Hendrix on the Woodstock video and others are underwhelming at best. With a live power trio the options are limited, but on the Woodstock performance there was plenty to work with assuming available multis, but the mix is not discrete.

Of course the studio LPs are ripe for surround treatment, again depending on what tracks are available. I doubt Are You Experienced has much to work with, for instance.

Band Of Gypsys was a three person lineup. It probably could be spread over the sound field better than just stereo, but nothing I have heard from Eddie Kramer suggests he is likely to put anything more than ambience in the rears.

Eddie does not know how to mix in surround, he clearly does not get the format. The Wood stock performance could have had the percussion/ bongos mixed in stereo across back speakers, really filling the room and expanding the group sound. Why did Jimi bother having somebody play percussion if it was going to be mixed so low the sounds are not audible? There's not even any reverb or audience to make sound seem larger.

It is all about number of tracks. One drum set can me mixed in surround sublimely. There's also panning with the guitar which Jimi LOVED. For certain moments this would be appropriate since Jimi did it on studio version(Voodoo chile).

The Who Live at Isle of Man Blu Ray has a nice mix. Only 8 tracks I believe but Pete 'researcher' Townsend supervised 5.1 tracks and it is very clever.

Record labels now have a choice as to which of the two SACD pressing lines to use for their upcoming SACD releases.

The Arvato/Sonopress plant in Germany is up and running for SACD replication. However, if you are referring to plants owned by Sony, then it's just Japan and Austria.

Eddie does not know how to mix in surround, he clearly does not get the format. The Wood stock performance could have had the percussion/ bongos mixed in stereo across back speakers, really filling the room and expanding the group sound. Why did Jimi bother having somebody play percussion if it was going to be mixed so low the sounds are not audible? There's not even any reverb or audience to make sound seem larger.

It is all about number of tracks. One drum set can me mixed in surround sublimely. There's also panning with the guitar which Jimi LOVED. For certain moments this would be appropriate since Jimi did it on studio version(Voodoo chile).

The Who Live at Isle of Man Blu Ray has a nice mix. Only 8 tracks I believe but Pete 'researcher' Townsend supervised 5.1 tracks and it is very clever.

I should think that this release would generate MORE excitement for several reasons:

No one balked when Universal released the mch (?) BD~As of the Complete Allman Brothers Fillmore East Concerts with only audience applause/ambience in the rears discarding the ultra discrete [but flawed] DTS RBCD 2 disc set

Sony has NOT released a domestic SACD in years and we should applaud their efforts and hopefully look forward to more hi res SACD releases from the label as Audio Fidelity is curtailing their mch Quad releases.

Hendrix on SACD! A First and we should all be ecstatic. I was listening to the remastered SONY LEGACY Hendrix RBCDs on my system last night cranked up and they sound fantastic but imagine them on SACD?

IMO, this is a very important release and a number of FIRSTs........ Show some enthusiasm fellas:banana: and please, dispense with the petulant nitpicking:violin

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...ast_12311969_First_Show-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show 12/31/69 and People, Hell & Angels are being released the same day in SACD and high-resolution digital formats, the first-ever Jimi Hendrix hi-res digital releases! The SACDS will be issued by Analogue Productions.

Hah, I knew it! I knew Analogue Productions would be behind this SACD and not Sony themselves.
Props to yours truly for calling it! ;)

Hah, I knew it! I knew Analogue Productions would be behind this SACD and not Sony themselves.
Props to yours truly for calling it! ;)

You get awarded the silver star, rt. But I WAS hoping that SONY US would activate their SACD program stateside as they reneged on their BD~A launch....as we are all well aware. Still wonder whether it will be multichannel.

Back