ABKCO Announces Rolling Stones Mono Albums in DSD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I wonder if ABKCO's upcoming Mono DSD Downloads will be from the 2002 Rolling Stones Remastered Series?
In 2002, the Vinyl LPs by the Stones were also created from the DSD transfers made at that time.

http://www.abkco.com/index.php/news/item/The-Rolling-Stones-in-Mono

From the linked page:

The Rolling Stones in Mono was mastered by acclaimed GRAMMY® award winning engineer Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering. For the project he utilized Direct Stream Digital (DSD) transfers from the original master recordings, with a sampling rate of 2,822,400.

Yes. And I wonder if these are the 2002 transfers used for the Stones SACDs. Or a new set?

Would they really use fifteen year old DSD transfers and serve them up again? I was under the impression that much of this material had not been made available in Mono in DSD before. Would they then use some of the old ones mixed in with some new ones?

Would they really use fifteen year old DSD transfers and serve them up again? I was under the impression that much of this material had not been made available in Mono in DSD before. Would they then use some of the old ones mixed in with some new ones?

They certainly could. The Rolling Stones DSD transfers from 2002 made some fine Stereo and Mono SACDs and LPs. :)

They certainly could. The Rolling Stones DSD transfers from 2002 made some fine Stereo and Mono SACDs and LPs. :)

Oh I don't deny that. What I'm concerned with is whether people will enjoy buying some of the same trasnfers again for a second or third time.

Oh I don't deny that. What I'm concerned with is whether people will enjoy buying some of the same trasnfers again for a second or third time.

It could be like the Creedence Clearwater Revival remastered series. It went out of print on SACD and LP for years.
And then came back on LP, SACD and DSD Download in 2013.

We will see.

Mono/Schmonno. Mono is a disease you get as a teenager after kissing a girl! When is someone going to get the green light to start mixing these titles into 5.1?

Anyway, I hope these mono SACDs turn out really well for those of you who are looking forward to them.

Mono/Schmonno. Mono is a disease you get as a teenager after kissing a girl! When is someone going to get the green light to start mixing these titles into 5.1?

Anyway, I hope these mono SACDs turn out really well for those of you who are looking forward to them.

Are these SACDS?? Thought they were straight cd and 180 LP..........

Know the ABKO Stereos were SACD but are they doing that again for Mono in the box........189 seems cheap if so :banana:

And DSD and FLAC Downloads. No SACDs. That's why the thread is in the DSD Download section of QQ.

Hmmm mono cds of Rolling Stones................Blah :rolleyes:

They are not the Beatles! Their early stuff is sheeeeeeet compared to the Beatles early stuff!

Mono LPs just maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but not at even close to grabbing at those prices :howl

I pre ordered this on amazon uk-
$133 with shipping include. great price. Amazon US wanted $189 plus $13 tax since they now have a store in Ohio.

I'm going to pass on these because there is just too much surround to enjoy at the moment. Besides I have all the early mono pressings in mint+ condition, so they will have to do.

I pre ordered this on amazon uk-
$133 with shipping include. great price. Amazon US wanted $189 plus $13 tax since they now have a store in Ohio.

Checked it last night and the price was as much as US Amazon.........at 133 or 8 bux a cd.........hmmm might be able to swing maaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Thanks Jasong :cool:

Hmmm mono cds of Rolling Stones................Blah :rolleyes:

They are not the Beatles! Their early stuff is sheeeeeeet compared to the Beatles early stuff!

Mono LPs just maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but not at even close to grabbing at those prices :howl

I love the Stones early stuff! Last Time, Satisfaction, Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Time is on My Side, Ruby Tuesday...ah there's so much. It was an amazing set of circumstances as to how the The Stones were the perfect antithesis to the Beatles back in the heyday of the British Invasion.

I love the Stones early stuff! Last Time, Satisfaction, Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Time is on My Side, Ruby Tuesday...ah there's so much. It was an amazing set of circumstances as to how the The Stones were the perfect antithesis to the Beatles back in the heyday of the British Invasion.

Nah don;t get Snood wrong they had some koo songs.......but a decent amount of the songs on early early albums were filler material and cover songs up until say Aftermath. An Ok listen if your in the mood, but not on par with The Beatles early material. Think right after Aftermath they hit their stride.

Well, about this, a few things from an ancient collector....:alienrob:

First, for those who want 5.1: anything recorded in 1963-64 in London was MONO ONLY. That's it, period. And even if stereo existed for anything before AFTERMATH, it wouldn't be worth the trouble in quad, let alone 5.1. In fact, if I were to guess, TSMR might be the place to start for even considering 5.1 (maybe).

AFAIK, the Stones first recorded in 3-track stereo at Chess Studios in Chicago in 1964, which is where the 5x5 is from, along with various single and Lp tracks thereafter, until....they began recording in L.A., which is where the erratic nature of Stones stereo really begins. Virtually everything they recorded *could* have been issued in stereo at the time, but wasn't--that is, until AFTERMATH, their first true stereo album (anywhere). This is where the mono on reissues is missing, from that album (US & UK editions) through LET IT BLEED. AFT, BTB, FLOWERS, TSMR, BB and LIB all had mono editions, but BB and LIB did not in the U.S.

As to the rest of the mono: most of it has been available on CD before, but there may be exceptions like "Down the Road Apiece," which was, as I remember, taken from the Mobile Fidelity vinyl box set (which also included such previously unreleased stereo mixes as "Satisfaction" and "Get Off of My Cloud," which were issued in 1984 during the first wave of Decca UK Stones reissues, which were imported to America).

Not that it has anything to do with the thread itself, I will note that the most recent Stones vinyl reissues don't necessarily match the CD editions. For instance, the SACD/CD version of 12 x 5 has half its songs (Chicago) in stereo, the other half mono. On the vinyl, it's all mono, FWIW.

Your Beatles & Stones fan forever,

ED :)

Back