Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin" & Return to Forever's "Musicmagic" (Oct 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HATE to be the bearer of BAD NEWS, but Marshall Blonstein emailed me back this afternoon and broke the news that both Tail Spinning and Musicmagic will be hybrid STEREO SACDs.

No one is MORE bummed out than I am since logically, they'd make SUPERB QUAD releases.

Drats! Well I guess this won't go up on eBay any time soon.

Attachments

• image-1703979607.jpg
    image-1703979607.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 230
The covers for these two stereo SACDs:

AFSA248-Large.jpg

AFSA250-Large.jpg

Boy, it really does hurt seeing these as Gold covers when they should have Silver covers… (n) :( :violin :mad: :confused:

Note that these have both been pushed back to Oct. 25th on Amazon, so the quad mixes can be added.

...just kidding about the last part, but I bet it got you excited, didn't it? ;) The release date change is true though.

Note that these have both been pushed back to Oct. 25th on Amazon, so the quad mixes can be added.

...just kidding about the last part, but I bet it got you excited, didn't it? ;) The release date change is true though.

Grrrrrrrrrrr Steely :howl lol

It would be sweet if Marshall and the entire team at AF decided that the quad mixes were just too important for these two releases, and they were able to negotiate new rate terms from the mastering team, and got them included on both, but decided to have it be a surprise, and tell us about it one week before release date. And so quad was included after all. :smokin

Boy, it really does hurt seeing these as Gold covers when they should have Silver covers… (n) :( :violin :mad: :confused:
Indeed, it's like a splash of astringent in the face, but not as refreshing. I think we are all wondering just how long it will be before we hear of another quad 4.0 from AF.

The Weather Report and Return to Forever Hybrid Stereo SACDs - Now In Stock at Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct.

Now In Stock - Oct 21 2016.jpg

Just received notification from Deep Discount that the AP SACD of MusicMagic has shipped ($17.18 delivered price). Will pretend it's multichannel. I can dream, can't I?:violin

I received both these discs yesterday and was able to listen to Return To Forever: Music Magic last night. This hybrid SACD stereo only disc is a sonic gem. Possibly one of the best wide stereo sound stages I have ever heard. The musical performance is a little weird, it has excellent musicians and band, top notch, but the vocals are not that good or I should say the vocalists are not that good, not my liking anyway. Would be great instrumental disc.

I received both these discs yesterday and was able to listen to Return To Forever: Music Magic last night. This hybrid SACD stereo only disc is a sonic gem. Possibly one of the best wide stereo sound stages I have ever heard. The musical performance is a little weird, it has excellent musicians and band, top notch, but the vocals are not that good or I should say the vocalists are not that good, not my liking anyway. Would be great instrumental disc.

I finally spun my copy tonight. I played it very loud and was amazed at the soundstage. I even employed my SUPER DSP mode on my Meridian pre/pro and it danced around the room. I do agree that the vocals do sound dated but Chick Corea always liked his vocals (Light As A Feather with vocalist Flora Purim comes to mind). Congrats to AF for another superb [but BLATANTLY multichannelless (n) ] SACD.

I was going to boycott Tail Spinning because of its lack of a surround mix but now it's a no brainer purchase. Maybe some day [we'll get both surround mixes on the FREDBLUE Label:)].

Back