Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin" & Return to Forever's "Musicmagic" (Oct 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Oh... WOW..!!!!! :yikes

YES PLEASE!! YES PLEASE!! YES PLEASE!! LET IT BE SO!!!

Ryan, may your hope spring eternal..!!

(these would be a dream come true for me if Audio Fidelity were to be releasing them on Surround SACD,
they are both Quad stunners in my humble opinion!)

Could these two titles be the next Multichannel SACD releases from Audio Fidelity?

"Tale Spinnin" by Weather Report: https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Spinnin-WEATHER-REPORT/dp/B01KA4MVYI/
"Musicmagic" by Return to Forever: https://www.amazon.com/Musicmagic-RETURN-FOREVER/dp/B01KA4MVZC/

Both of these albums were released with Quadraphonic mixes back in the 1970s, so Hope Springs Eternal, right?!
These releases are currently listed to be released on September 30th.

:)

GREAT catch, Ryan.

Based on the 'assumption' that Audio Fidelity's stereo SACDs are predominantly [like 99.9%] Rock/Pop Titles, can one 'safely assume' these will be multichannel?

I share fredblue's enthusiasm that both are stellar candidates for the multichannel AF treatment.(y)

Oh... WOW..!!!!! :yikes

YES PLEASE!! YES PLEASE!! YES PLEASE!! LET IT BE SO!!!

Ryan, may your hope spring eternal..!!

(these would be a dream come true for me if Audio Fidelity were to be releasing them on Surround SACD,
they are both Quad stunners in my humble opinion!)

I'm a little reluctant just cause it's Weather Report without Jaco and Return to Forever without White and Al DiMeola.....

"Stunners" though; has my attention....

I'm so in for Tale Spinnin' if the Quad mixes are indeed included. I love that album. I've never been a huge fan of Return to Forever, but I'm sure that plenty of people will be happy that this is being released on SACD.

Five Short Stories sound like an outtake from Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man soundtrack. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooood!

Jazz fusion must do well for AF, as they keep going back to the genre for new titles to issue. I wonder which will have a quad layer, or if both.

Jazz fusion must do well for AF, as they keep going back to the genre for new titles to issue. I wonder which will have a quad layer, or if both.

I just emailed AF's CEO Marshall Blonstein and inquired whether both Tail Spinning and MusicMagic will be QUAD SACDs? He usually responds VERY quickly.

I'm a little reluctant just cause it's Weather Report without Jaco and Return to Forever without White and Al DiMeola.....

"Stunners" though; has my attention....

If you're not familiar with those albums, just listen to sound clips either on iTunes on Youtube. You may be surprised by what you hear.

I'm so in for Tale Spinnin' if the Quad mixes are indeed included. I love that album. I've never been a huge fan of Return to Forever, but I'm sure that plenty of people will be happy that this is being released on SACD.

Five Short Stories sound like an outtake from Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man soundtrack. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooood!

Oh Tale Spinnin's just wonderful isn't it Simon! :upthumb

As soon as I started picking up Quad records, Tale Spinnin' was at the top of my list!
(could never find a conversion, was desperate to hear the Quad -- and it did not disappoint, it's incredible and easily one of my most played old Quads from SQ vinyl.).

Musicmagic strikes me a somewhat unusual album for RTF, they didn't really do anything else quite like it (some amazing musicianship on display, bass playing to die for.. all goes without saying I guess!) the Quad mix is lovely and discrete with sumptuous sound quality... musically it just has this trippy ethereal and yet heroically epic quality all at the same time, I love it!

Keeping everything crossed Audio Fidelity is doing these two in MultiChannel....!!! :cool:

Snood just paid off me Credit Cards now got these and the Hendrix coming out :howl but :banana: toooooooo

Label listing definitely says Audio Fidelity

Snood just paid off me Credit Cards now got these and the Hendrix coming out :howl but :banana: toooooooo

Label listing definitely says Audio Fidelity

C'mon.. you're Snood not Scrooge! :eek:
(Why not see it as an early Christmas present to yourself? One you actually want, instead of socks with comedy reindeer on them!) BAH HUMBUG! :D

I agree. This thread should be about Audio Fidelity releasing "Tale Spinnin" by Weather Report and "Musicmagic" by Return to Forever.
This Audio Fidelity SACD series continues to surprise all of us (me in particular) and for that we should do our best to support these two titles if they are indeed Multichannel and if they fit in with our own musical tastes and interests.
Wishing and speculation about future releases is fine, but I would rather discuss what is currently present to us, and if you ask me, this looks like a nice pair of some juicy jazz fusion! :)

The potential is all there for a juicy pair, indeed!
Juicier still in Surround of course.. :p

Have you heard these two albums in Quad before now Ryan?

The potential is all there for a juicy pair, indeed!
Juicier still in Surround of course.. :p

Have you heard these two albums in Quad before now Ryan?

I have not heard either of these albums at all until I listened to a brief sample of "Tale Spinnin" today in stereo, but they are intriguing enough that as long as they are Multichannel, I'm willing to dive into these and be pleasantly surprised by what these discs contain! :)

I have not heard either of these albums at all until I listened to a brief sample of "Tale Spinnin" today in stereo, but they are intriguing enough that as long as they are Multichannel, I'm willing to dive into these and be pleasantly surprised by what these discs contain! :)

Ooh.. how exciting! Get ready for a ride! :yikes

Tale Spinnin' is particularly good in all respects.. superb example of an old Columbia Quad imho.. and Musicmagic is batshit crazy, it's a load of navel-gazing twaddle about life, death and so long to the Mickey Mouse tune, laid over supremo Jazz Fusion noodling, it doesn't go anywhere particularly, the way Tale Spinnin takes you on a real journey.. but I love Musicmagic all the same, it really does what it says on the carton = it's magical music, nuff said! :D

Good choices.
Big fan of Tale Spinnin', it was my first Weather Report album (on vinyl) way back when. The CD on Iconoclassic is very good.
Don't have any RTF so really looking forward to that one

Jaco, White, and Di Meola are brilliant players and great writers, no doubt about it, but neither was the driving force behind these two bands. In fact, both started without them in it, respectively. Return To Forever is, chiefly, Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke, while Weather Report is Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter. If you like these bands and the music they play, you'll probably like these other albums without your favorite players.

From Return To Forever's second album (no White, no Di Meola):

[video=youtube;a_OEJ0wqt2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OEJ0wqt2g[/video]

Last edited:
From Weather Report's fourth album (no Jaco):

[video=youtube;bZ44_P6iM18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ44_P6iM18[/video]

Last edited:
I happened to really like the Herbie Hancock - Thrust SACD as a very out there fusion example of quad mixing at it's best. I'm guessing this stuff does alright for AF or they would not keep more coming.

And really looking forward to the Blue Oyster Cult quad SACD, just as Loggins and Messina "Full Sail" finished playing.

I think we are still in the "Golden Age of the 70s Quadraphonic mix revival". LOLOL Don't tell me, and I don't want to know nothing about any surround layer slow-down ok.

Yeah, now that's what I'm talkin' bout! Remember when Jazz and Rock went way out there and got progressive and adventurous?

That is what I hear on Alice Cooper's "Muscle of Love" as well. When you dig deep into that album, there is very progressive arrangements with synth and horns, keyboards, etc. It's oddly layered, kind of avant-garde and fascinating to me.

Return to Forever and Weather Report as well as Mahavishnu Orchestra were of this time in music when it was about expanding the limits of the form. Yes, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd were all doing it too.

It's cool and surprising that Audio Fidelity can do these kinds of albums, and if they can get the quad layers on them it will be mind blowing for sure.

Last edited:
Back