What are your most played surround titles?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sleep you say?
Oh.. Little.. and often! I do some of my best posting here while asleep at the keyboard! :ugham:

Yours insomniacally,
Count (I Can't Count Beyond 5.1) Fredula of Quadsylvania :p

It's after 2 a.m. there, you need some high quality REM sleep. May I suggest "it's the end of the world as we know it." :zzzzz :ugham:

I made a list of ten but now I realize the list is of five so I will accept:\
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Nightfly: Dan Fagen: DVDA
Planets: Ultimate Edition: Tomita: SACD
In TheFlesh: Roger Waters: Disc one only: SACD
Hiromi: Hiromi's Sonicbloom: SACD
Live Anthology: Tom Petty: BDA: Tracks 23 to 37

1. Elton John - GYBR
2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
3. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
4. Elton John - Captain Fantastic
5. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

If I had the Eagles - Hotel California, it would be #2.

I keep going back to my Marillion discs hoping that I can tweak my system into making these discs sound good. Not to be.

Otherwise:
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun & Signify (I like that era best).
Roxy Music - Avalon
Pink Floyd - All of them!
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (DVDA)
Van - Moondance

Santana- Abraxas (SQ or DTS)
Santana III (Q8 Conversion)
Eagles- Hotel California (DVD-A)
Aerosmith- Toys In The Attic (Q8 Conversion)
Doobies- Captain and Me (CD-4/Q4)
Crowded House (DVD-A)
Chicago IX Greatest Hits (SQ or BD-A)
Best Of The Doors (CD-4 or SACD)

There are obviously many more but DTS conversions of these are frequently playing in my ELS system.

I keep going back to my Marillion discs hoping that I can tweak my system into making these discs sound good. Not to be.

Otherwise:
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun & Signify (I like that era best).
Roxy Music - Avalon
Pink Floyd - All of them!
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (DVDA)
Van - Moondance
Signify in surround?? Also Marillion? What did I miss? :)

Hey Jon;

Agree with your analysis; 3 additional thoughts
My original "bootleg" copy of DSOTM, is still my go to demo disc
The reps from Goldmund, the super high end Hardware firm, flipped when they heard it
Never ceases to amaze me, the look on people's faces when they hear Money, & Us & Them
The DTS version of "Gaucho" may be better than the DVD/A; IMHO
Also, the Staples Singers singing "The Weight" on The Last Waltz, DVD/A, is surreal
In my Acura, it sounds like they're in the car

ELP BSS DVD-A The End of KE9 #rd Imp will demo your surroundness
Steely Dan Gaucho DTS
Doors All 0f them DVD-A /SACD
DSOTM DTS
Tull Aqualung (locmotive Breath)
Metallica ST Wherever I may Roam and Enter Sandman will test those SUBs!!!!

I am wondering about the DSOTM - what is the story about it? If it's OK to talk about a real thing. I was told it was from the vaults of Alan Parsons. But he only did a Quad Mix 4.0 - Right? So who made it into a perfect 5.1 disc? "Allaround Surround"?
On the label which is first rate and the CD ITSELF IS BEAUTIFULLY SILK SCREENED - The label has "5.1 Quadraphonic DTS Digital Surround"
and underneath the the triangle/pyramid DSOTMLogo it says "Allaround Surround d.t.s. Conversion"
underneath that it says "PURE DIGITAL DISCREET" and DTS digital surround in the corner
On the CD itself it says "STUDIO MASTER 5.1 Allaround Surround d.t.s. Conversion"
I just want to know the facts on how /who made this fabulous disc.

WHY?

Because truly for the first time since I have been doing surround even from the days of Dolby surround (1984) and Pro-Matrix (1987?) and thought I arrived in 2001 with DVD-As/DTS/SACD - and now BluRay.

But I have finally entered musical Nirvana last week. After decades now of listening to a thousands of discs (music and movie soundtracks) in multiple surround modes and methodologies. I heard the aforementioned DTS 5.1 DSOTM via my Pioneer's SC-95 in DTS-X/Neural-X mode blasting through my 5.2.4 (7.2.2 as Poineer calls it) speaker setup. I was not being blasted at by a center speaker there or a left channel there or R surround there - I was truly in a dome -a cloud - of sound - Sounds were above me in front of me so close I could almost touch the sound - it was transformative. And it was this disc in this mode. DTS=X/Neural-X is the only wasy to go forme. After that hour of bliss and wonder I went to my next go to DTS disc and that's GAUCHO and THAT was pretty amazing too. So I want to sing the praises of Allaround Surround and thank them. Kudos goes to DTS for amazing technology that is heads above Dolby Atmos.

I am wondering about the DSOTM - what is the story about it? If it's OK to talk about a real thing. I was told it was from the vaults of Alan Parsons. But he only did a Quad Mix 4.0 - Right? So who made it into a perfect 5.1 disc? "Allaround Surround"?

I thought the DVDA bootleg Alan Parsons DSOTM was 4.0

5.1 came later from someone upmixing the 4.0

When people speak of the bootleg being demo goto I always assume they are referring to the 4.0, not the 5.1

At least that's how I understand it.

Isn't the 4.0 bootleg on the Immersion DSOTM Blu-ray anyway?

When people speak of the bootleg being demo goto I always assume they are referring to the 4.0, not the 5.1

But why are you referring the original Parsons's quad mix on the Immersion set as "bootleg" when it is far from it.

But why are you referring the original Parsons's quad mix on the Immersion set as "bootleg" when it is far from it.

I'm under the impression that when the DVDA bootleg was first released online it was created by Alan Parsons (even though for years it was referred to as a "mystery mixer") and then only many years later did it make it's official appearance on the Immersion Blu-ray.

maybe I'm wrong?

My understanding of the time line:

1. Parsons mixed the 4.0 many years ago
2. He sat on it for quite a while
3. He (or someone with access to the vault) then "leaked" it online in the form of a DVDA "bootleg" because it wasn't officially sanctioned by PF
4. Very soon thereafter more than one 5.1 DVDA bootlegs appeared online by various anonymous upmixers.
5. Years later PF officially released that original Parsons 4.0 mix on the Immersion Blu-ray

The AP version I have is actually a 4.1 DVDA I believe. Whoever created it must have applied a low pass filter to create the sub channel. Up till now, I was unaware of any other 5.1 upmix. I cant see how adding a faux center channel might improve it, and why degrade the resolution by subjecting it to lossy DTS processing?

From the description of it being silkscreened, etc, it certainly has to be an illegal bootleg. And I'm not sure at all that it originally came from "the vaults of Alan Parsons", but it is the AP mix.

I always thought the AP version we usually refer to was just the master quad tape (or an early gen copy) used for the quad SQ encode and Q8 duplicators back in the 70's. I never compared the AP DVDA to the Q8 conversion. I just assumed they were the same mix. Maybe not?

I have one of the first AP 4.0 DVDA's released online (both 2.3 GB and 4.2 GB versions) and it sounds so good that I can only assume that it is basically an Original Master Quad Tape (or 1st gen like you mentioned) --> DVDA done by Parsons himself.

The fidelity could never have been achieved otherwise IMO.

Not only did the Master need to be pristine but the equipment used could have only be done by a professional mixer with professional skills to boot.

IMO, I believe 90% of the stuff floating around out there is not this actual mix but just derivatives of it, including the aforementioned 5.1 DTS conversion.

I have one of the first AP 4.0 DVDA's released online (both 2.3 GB and 4.2 GB versions) and it sounds so good that I can only assume that it is basically an Original Master Quad Tape (or 1st gen like you mentioned) --> DVDA done by Parsons himself.

Do you know what the difference is between the 2.3GB and the 4.2GB versions?

Back