What are your most played surround titles?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't recall at the moment what file size it was, and may have since deleted it, but when I got the 24/96 4.0 PCM mastering of Parson's quad mix from the Blu-ray it was game over for all other versions, including the 4.0 DVD-A boot which I found sounded very much inferior to the Blu-ray.

Don't recall at the moment what file size it was, and may have since deleted it, but when I got the 24/96 4.0 PCM mastering of Parson's quad mix from the Blu-ray it was game over for all other versions, including the 4.0 DVD-A boot which I found sounded very much inferior to the Blu-ray.

I'm surprised. You are the first person I have come across that has reported that. I don't have the quad BRD, but if the AP boot is "much inferior" to the sound of the BRD, it must be really something special. It must have something to do with the source used, since the AP boot was also mastered at 24/96.

The AP version I have is actually a 4.1 DVDA I believe. Whoever created it must have applied a low pass filter to create the sub channel. Up till now, I was unaware of any other 5.1 upmix. I cant see how adding a faux center channel might improve it, and why degrade the resolution by subjecting it to lossy DTS processing?

From the description of it being silkscreened, etc, it certainly has to be an illegal bootleg. And I'm not sure at all that it originally came from "the vaults of Alan Parsons", but it is the AP mix.

I always thought the AP version we usually refer to was just the master quad tape (or an early gen copy) used for the quad SQ encode and Q8 duplicators back in the 70's. I never compared the AP DVDA to the Q8 conversion. I just assumed they were the same mix. Maybe not?

IIRC the Parsons mix became available in DVDA first as 4.1, where the .1 bass was just 'doubled' (not lowpassed) from the front channels. So then it was suggested that a 4.0 version would be more authentic, and people started making those by omitting the .1 channel.

If I got that wrong, there's probably an old QQ thread about it somewhere here that gets it right.

Presumably this is all made obsolete by the Immersion version.

Back