Best drum solos in surround format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrom

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
What are examples of superb drum solos in surround tracks?

I'm relatively new to surround and excited to explore old favorites in a new way. In my limited exposure so far my favorite drum solo is:

"I'm a Man", Chicago Transit Authority Bluray (Quadio), Danny Seraphine solo.

Other suggestions?

Nothing specific in terms of a song, but Gavin Harrison simply kills it all during Porcupine Trees, Anesthitize..I mean kills it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing specific in terms of a song, but Gavin Harrison simply kills it all during Porcupine Trees, Anesthitize..I mean kills it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check it out! PT has been on my "want list" for a while. I assume the Anesthesize BluRay is the way to go?

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Whilst mostly mixed in stereo, the drums on this album sound MUCH better than 90% of all surround releases. Engineers these days can not record drums.

Check out Zappa's Halloween DVD Audio. There is a drum solo track, Zeets I think, that is mixed in 5.1. Brilliantly done.

Gentle Giant Power and Glory has some drum breaks expertly mixed in surround.

Whilst mostly mixed in stereo, the drums on this album sound MUCH better than 90% of all surround releases. Engineers these days can not record drums.

Interesting, and I agree! Best stereo drum recording I've heard since starting in with high-Res: Cafe Blue (Sacd) by Patricia Barber.

I'll add Spectrum to my wanted column.

Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire is on 4.0 SACD, and the track "One Word" has a drum solo in it

Interesting, and I agree! Best stereo drum recording I've heard since starting in with high-Res: Cafe Blue (Sacd) by Patricia Barber.

I'll add Spectrum to my wanted column.

Spectrum is brilliant in 4.0! Sublime musicianship.

Ditto on Billy Cobham on the Spectrum and Birds of Fire SACDs.

For a live concert dvd, I can recommend Return To Forever Returns (Live At Montreux 2008), Lenny White's solo "Lineage."

Very discreet, as if you're a fly hovering in the middle of the kit.
Two versions are included, one a bonus track from the US tour with Woodstock Movie-style split screen visuals.

You can amuse yourself as you listen trying to count how many tom-toms are in his kit.

I was lucky enough to see this band live in 1975 play the entire "Romantic Warrior" album in concert.
First time I ever saw a band do that, 30 years before it became common in live performance.

Also saw them on this tour, close to the stage, in a new state-of-the-art orchestral hall.
This recording captured the vibe well, next best thing to being there.

Awesome that all the original members have had long and productive careers, but could re-unite and re-visit this evergreen jazz fusion material.

Caveat: Snobs may sniff that it's not "lossless." DTS or Dolby 5.1 48k.

Attachments

• DSCF3259a.jpg
    DSCF3259a.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 230
I'd sure love to hear Blind Faith in 5.1
I'm not sure if the multi tracks survived. Do What You Like.....

Ditto on Billy Cobham on the Spectrum and Birds of Fire SACDs.

For a live concert dvd, I can recommend Return To Forever Returns (Live At Montreux 2008), Lenny White's solo "Lineage."

Very discreet, as if you're a fly hovering in the middle of the kit.
Two versions are included, one a bonus track from the US tour with Woodstock Movie-style split screen visuals.

You can amuse yourself as you listen trying to count how many tom-toms are in his kit.

I was lucky enough to see this band live in 1975 play the entire "Romantic Warrior" album in concert.
First time I ever saw a band do that, 30 years before it became common in live performance.

Also saw them on this tour, close to the stage, in a new state-of-the-art orchestral hall.
This recording captured the vibe well, next best thing to being there.

Awesome that all the original members have had long and productive careers, but could re-unite and re-visit this evergreen jazz fusion material.

Caveat: Snobs may sniff that it's not "lossless." DTS or Dolby 5.1 48k.

There is a blu-ray version that has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and it sounds astoundingly good.

5063_large.jpg

Thanks, I'll check it out! PT has been on my "want list" for a while. I assume the Anesthesize BluRay is the way to go?

The bonus disc of the "Arriving Somewhere...." DVD has a very cool surround sound version of "Cymbal Song" - all Gavin Harrison multi-tracked cymbals of various sizes and shapes. It's very cool in surround and you have to check it out.

I'd sure love to hear Blind Faith in 5.1
I'm not sure if the multi tracks survived. Do What You Like.....

Good on ya, mate!

This sent me immediately to Toad, by Ginger Baker and Cream, Royal Albert Hall Concert DVD 2005
Sixty-six year-old Ginger showing how it's done.

The mix for the concert in mostly ambience in the rears, lots of drum and vocal in the center channel.
On this track, when Jack and Eric leave the stage for the drum solo, the sound field expands, center drops.

Thunderous explosions of floor tom and double-bass when the solo climaxes around 26:00.
Ginger was among the pioneers to add a second bass drum to the kit in the 60s, and it wasn't just for looks.

Happy 77th birthday to irascible old Mr. Baker day after tomorrow, August 19.

Available on Blu Ray (thanks Frogmort, I'm living in the past).

Back