Best drum solos in surround format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its gotta be: Harry Nilsson ~ Jump Into The Fire ~ Nilsson Schmilsson
[video=youtube;8QghwNqlCRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QghwNqlCRE[/video]

Last edited:
Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings - Clocks: The Angel of Mons features a pretty insane moment of drumming toward the end. Not sure how that is presented in 5.1, but I will soon!

"Clocks" has a very strong 5.1 mix on the "Spectral Mornings" DVD. I have a feeling you will enjoy it quite a lot! :)

Buddy Rich was released on Japan cd-4 and also the 3 lp set Live on King Street done in SQ.

3 lovely old Quads with drum solo's..

Edgar Winter/They Only Come Out At Night/Frankenstein,
Poco/Seven/Driving Wheel,
Doobie Brothers/What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits/Road Angel.

3 lovely old Quads with drum solo's..

Edgar Winter/They Only Come Out At Night/Frankenstein,
Poco/Seven/Driving Wheel,
Doobie Brothers/What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits/Road Angel.

Doobies are one of my favorite groups, but I don't have them in quad yet. I've heard hopeful chatter of a possible bluray compilation similar to the recently released Chicago Quadio. Fingers crossed, it would be amazing!

Doobies are one of my favorite groups, but I don't have them in quad yet. I've heard hopeful chatter of a possible bluray compilation similar to the recently released Chicago Quadio. Fingers crossed, it would be amazing!

Oh the Doobies Quads are wonderful ("..Vices" is my favourite of their 4 x Quads.. "Black Water" is just incredible in Surround).

When/If :)o ) I ever get CD-4 working I will be converting the Doobies Quads as a matter of priority! :D

A Quadio release of them all on Blu-ray would be a dream come true, personally.

Best drumming I have heard in 5:1 is previously mentioned Gavin Harrison on Fear of a Blank Planet, Porcupine Tree and Simon Philips on Robert Reed's Sanctuary Ii.

Not heard it but can only imagine Simon Philips on Mike Oldfield Crises must be good. It is good in stereo

.... Engineers these days can not record drums.

Top-30-Funny-Minions-Memes-Minions.jpg

and moving right along folks....

Best recorded drum overall sound for me is on "Cheating the polygraph"...I mentioned it to Gavin and he said it was that it was recorded "at home" ("no better place to record it your own way")...

Neil Peart's drum solo (Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage: Part I/The Story So Far (Drum solo)/Part III) on Rush's R40 Live blu-ray is pretty spectacular.

Good on ya, mate!

This sent me immediately to Toad, by Ginger Baker and Cream, Royal Albert Hall Concert DVD 2005
Sixty-six year-old Ginger showing how it's done.

The mix for the concert in mostly ambience in the rears, lots of drum and vocal in the center channel.
On this track, when Jack and Eric leave the stage for the drum solo, the sound field expands, center drops.

Thunderous explosions of floor tom and double-bass when the solo climaxes around 26:00.
Ginger was among the pioneers to add a second bass drum to the kit in the 60s, and it wasn't just for looks.

Happy 77th birthday to irascible old Mr. Baker day after tomorrow, August 19.

Available on Blu Ray (thanks Frogmort, I'm living in the past).

Just goes to show old farts are still good, -ahmm, very effing good.

There is a blu-ray version that has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and it sounds astoundingly good.

View attachment 27040

Sadly overlooked by many, RTF was the band that all the rock bands from the 70's were listening to.
Every member a professor of music. Most can't pay attention to long pieces of music. The very reason
my friend claims he only hears "tink-tinik-tink. And this from a person who claims to like music, sick of the same shit on the radio, but has no real appreciation of music.
To me there is so much real talent on that stage, and that show was "perfect". Lenny White is about as good as it gets, and so is Dave Weckl, and Billy Cobham.
How many know who Dave Weckl is? Point made if you do not know.

Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire is on 4.0 SACD, and the track "One Word" has a drum solo in it

another sad case of a victim to 2.5 minute attention span.. What an incredible musician, Very intense-too heavy for many. But incredible and to me satisfies my need for new-different. I remember listening in the 70's and I was referred to as a weirdo.

Spectrum is brilliant in 4.0! Sublime musicianship.

I live right next to Hamilton College. In a small chapel on campus, in 73, I was introduced to Billy Cobham, with the Brecker Bros. This, was the turning point for me and music. This stuff was out there, and if not for Syracuse University Radio - WAER (public Radio) I would have never been exposed to the good stuff.

Oh yeah, I went through my college years OD'ing on The Brecker Brothers. (Odd now, because when I revisit those first two albums nowadays, I come away with a feeling of hokum. Somehow I'd lost my taste for it.) Some real science in those.

As to drumming in surround, I cannot vouch for these because I never manage to grab either, but the Kodo Drummers SACD is supposed to be stellar. Also one of Mickey Hart's surround projects got some great reviews. Hope someday to experience both.

There is a blu-ray version that has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and it sounds astoundingly good.

View attachment 27040

How is the MCH on this?

I saw THIS tour in Madrid and was a bit "underwhelmed" by Lenny's and Chick's performances- Al was a bit uncomfortable...but Stanley was the REAL MASTER, STRUMMING his stand up bass as if it were a guitar!!!!

Back