Technics SH-400 CD-4 Demodulator eBay Shocker

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question is of course: DOES IT WORK? Also, does it come with a warranty?

The seller says in the listing that he does not have the equipment to fully test it and would offer a refund if the buyer was not happy. Sellers of vintage equipment often aren't that gracious and accommodating. That may well be the reason it went for so much money.

Too bad Adam. It looks like a really nice piece. How far off the mark were you on your bid?

The seller says in the listing that he does not have the equipment to fully test it and would offer a refund if the buyer was not happy. Sellers of vintage equipment often aren't that gracious and accommodating. That may well be the reason it went for so much money.

Too bad Adam. It looks like a really nice piece. How far off the mark were you on your bid?

Oh yes! That was one of the appealing things about it (not least a seller based in my country, so much of the more interesting Quad stuff comes from outside the UK!) and fair terms, as you say kinda unusual with old kit to accept a full refund. I didn't place a bid (I gave up even contemplating bidding when it went beyond £100... and it went for over 4 times that, unbelievable! :D ) I do have a 2nd JVC 4DD-5 unit on the way from the States which I bought on eBay last week, so fingers crossed it works unlike the first one.. but I'm still keeping an eye out for another Technics demodulator (or a Marantz or Pioneer unit maybe) ah well.. "it'll all come out in the wash", as they say! :p

The question is of course: DOES IT WORK? Also, does it come with a warranty?

Not even a plug! ;)
I jest, of course.. I dunno.. some other hoodlum got in there, someone with seriously deep pockets (or more money than sense).. for that kinda money they could've bought 4 JVC demodulators from the USA.. ok, so none of those 4 JVC units may have worked but still that'd be good value for money.. haha.. :ugham:

Oh yes! That was one of the appealing things about it (not least a seller based in my country, so much of the more interesting Quad stuff comes from outside the UK!) and fair terms, as you say kinda unusual with old kit to accept a full refund. I didn't place a bid (I gave up even contemplating bidding when it went beyond £100... and it went for over 4 times that, unbelievable! :D ) I do have a 2nd JVC 4DD-5 unit on the way from the States which I bought on eBay last week, so fingers crossed it works unlike the first one.. but I'm still keeping an eye out for another Technics demodulator (or a Marantz or Pioneer unit maybe) ah well.. "it'll all come out in the wash", as they say! :p

Adam, when you DO take possession of your latest CD~4 demodulator....before plugging it in and being the devout Christian that thou art, I'd take a trip to Vatican City and have it blessed by his Holiness, the POPE.:ugham:

Adam, when you DO take possession of your latest CD~4 demodulator....before plugging it in and being the devout Christian that thou art, I'd take a trip to Vatican City and have it blessed by his Holiness, the POPE.:ugham:

Ha! :D Less a case of "Bless you, my child" and more "God help this loony!" :worthy

Do you use it much?

To be honest, no. I still can't get it to work properly. I was saving money for one of those Audio Technica AT-440MLa stylus/cartridges but can't justify the expense just yet. I also rarely use my Tate either. Even having a Tate didn't win me over with SQ. I still don't like it.

To be honest, no. I still can't get it to work properly. I was saving money for one of those Audio Technica AT-440MLa stylus/cartridges but can't justify the expense just yet. I also rarely use my Tate either. Even having a Tate didn't win me over with SQ. I still don't like it.

Uh oh, that doesn't augur well for my chances with bloody CD-4 seeing as you've been at this Quad game a hell of a lot longer than I have and you still haven't got CD-4 licked (and you're not saddled with a non-functioning JVC unit, you've got the Technics that the world and his wife want!) I'll bet I never get CD-4 working either! Oh well.. I've always got that cute little Surround Master and me old SQ and QS records! :eek:

Wow.. You don't like SQ, even with a Tate..!? Gulp.. :yikes ...man, you're not called Q-Eight for nothing! Q8 til you die! 8 out of 8 for commitment! :upthumb

Oh btw the AT440MLb can be had at a fairly more palatable price than the 440MLa on eBay etc from time to time.. iirc Circular Vibes said he got his significantly cheaper in an Amazon lightning deal (or Black Friday or whatever they're called..!?)..

Fred, if you get a North American 4DD-5, it only needs a transformer change inside to make it kosher for your voltage. It will need a step down transformer from your voltage, which I assume is 240 volts, to 30 volts. It means soldering two leads inside and attaching an appropriate mains plug to the other side. Any repair shop or friend who is handy with an iron can do it for you.

This is shocking price indeed. I put my Panasonic CD-4 demodulator out by the curb in the late 1980's for some scavenger to pick up. No one wanted it, so the trashman hauled it away a few days later. It seems that one can sell almost anything now days. I put out an old instruction manual on eBay for $10 as a lark and someone actually bought it.

CD-4 isn't that hard to get working properly. As has been pointed out over the years, the key is the cartridge. I am currently using a Sansui QRX-7001 and an Audio Technica AT-15S cartridge (original stylus). Works like a dream. I started with a 440MLa. That works fine, but the 15S is pure bliss. On some records, I get a little crackle in the rear speakers with the 440MLa that does not occur with the 15S.
Like anything, timing is everything when purchasing from eBay. One AT-15S might sell for 200 USD while another might not bring even 100 USD. Mine was something like 60, and it looks almost new. One of the VERY few times I've gotten a good deal from eBay lately. Also, a setup record is ABSOLUTELY essential. And almost any will work. It doesn't have to be from the same manufacturer. Mine is a Kenwood.

Back