Blackfield V out in November

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe 'bad' is a strong word to use in this instance, but certainly after hearing V, it's very obvious to me that IV is the weakest Blackfield album by far. It's very uneven and inconsistent, while V barely has any bad moments on it.
I think the difference is that Aviv needs Steven as a vocalist and producer in order to make his songs stronger, and IV only has a few tracks on it that measure up to the rest of Blackfield's albums.
V really is the natural continuation of the first three records, and I hope it is really well received by this forum, especially since it's released in surround!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IV was under 32 minutes long too which I thought was pretty lame for an album!

Does it say who mixed which songs, or do we have to guess by listening?

"5.1 mix by Steven Wilson except tracks 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 mixed by Simon Bloor and Bruce Soord."

I had it delivered to work and I'm listening to the stereo disc at the moment, I'll try the DVD later, I'm sure it will say who authored it on the menus somewhere...

"5.1 mix by Steven Wilson except tracks 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 mixed by Simon Bloor and Bruce Soord."

I had it delivered to work and I'm listening to the stereo disc at the moment, I'll try the DVD later, I'm sure it will say who authored it on the menus somewhere...

Thanks!
So just for the record, here's how it lays out:
1. "A Drop in the Ocean" (SW)
2. "Family Man" (BS)
3. "How Was Your Ride?" (SW)
4. "We'll Never Be Apart" (SW)
5. "Sorrys" (BS)
6. "Life is an Ocean" (BS)
7. "Lately" (BS)
8. "October" (SW)
9. "The Jackal" (SW)
10. "Salt Water" (BS)
11. "Undercover Heart" (BS)
12. "Lonely Soul" (SW)
13. "From 44 to 48" (SW)

This is great! Kscope have just released a new lyric video for the song "From 44 to 48", my favorite song on "Blackfield V" and the only one completely penned by Steven Wilson.
[video=youtube;zXvX7JEe1fw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvX7JEe1fw[/video]
Wut Steven sez about the song on his Facepage:

[SPOILER ALERT: It's very beautiful and depressing, but then again, what else do you expect from SW?] ;)

At age 48 myself I can relate and yes the song is a bit depressing.

John Mellencamp penned the song Longest Days which reflect similar sentiment.

So you pretend not to notice
That everything has changed
The way that you look
And the friends you once had
So you keep on acting the same
But deep down in your soul
You know you, you got no flame
And who knows then which way to go
Life is short even in its longest days

All I got here
Is a rear view mirror
Reflections of where I've been
So you tell yourself I'll be back up on top some day
But you know there's nothing waiting up there for you anyway

BTW in case anyone thinks this album is completely new songs, well you would be proven wrong as I just discovered that one of the tracks on the album was originally recorded for one of Aviv's solo albums about eight years ago.
Not only that, but if you compare the solo album recording to the Blackfield recording, they are identical, with the only difference being that Steven sings the song on V instead of Aviv.
Here's the original:
[video=youtube;hHqcY4OdQok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqcY4OdQok&spfreload=10[/video]

BTW in case anyone thinks this album is completely new songs, well you would be proven wrong as I just discovered that one of the tracks on the album was originally recorded for one of Aviv's solo albums about eight years ago.
Not only that, but if you compare the solo album recording to the Blackfield recording, they are identical, with the only difference being that Steven sings the song on V instead of Aviv.

And it's also not the first time he/they have done that - "1000 People" from BFII was taken from one of Aviv's albums and they just replaced Aviv's Hebrew vocals with Steven's english vocals.

And it's also not the first time he/they have done that - "1000 People" from BFII was taken from one of Aviv's albums and they just replaced Aviv's Hebrew vocals with Steven's english vocals.

More than that on "Blackfield II":
"End of the World" is a cover of an older song in Hebrew, performed by Geffen and Berry Sakharof. Hebrew versions of "1,000 People" and "Epidemic" were included in Geffen's album from 2006, "Im Hazman".

And on the first record too:
Two songs are covers in English of earlier Aviv Geffen songs in Hebrew, "Cloudy Now" (עכשיו מעונן) from 1993 and "Scars" (צלקות) from 2000. In the latter case, Aviv's original studio recording was simply re-used with newly sung vocals.

And "Welcome to my DNA":
"Zigota" is a reworking of the track of the same name on Geffen's 2002 solo album Memento Mori.

Ordered two days ago from Import CD's and their site gave a Feb. 10 release date. Just checked my order status and now it shows a release date of Mar. 17. WTF!!! Had I known this, I would have spent the couple extra bucks and ordered from Burning Shed.

Ordered two days ago from Import CD's and their site gave a Feb. 10 release date. Just checked my order status and now it shows a release date of Mar. 17. WTF!!! Had I known this, I would have spent the couple extra bucks and ordered from Burning Shed.

Yeah amazon is basically saying the same thing. I think it's because there's still an issue getting product from the U.K. to the US, which is what is causing these delays for US retailers.

Correction. The CD/Blu-ray still shows a Feb. 10 release date, but is already back-ordered. I was looking at the single CD version, which for some reason shows a Mar. 17 release. Duh. I went through this same thing with Yes's Tales..... from Import CD's. Their prices are great, but it seems bigger releases go from pre-order to back-ordered as soon as the release date arrives. Oh well, I can wait a few days. But after watching the From 44 to 48 video, I can't get that damn song out of my head. Like that Seinfeld episode. But from what I've heard, this stacks up very well to Blackfield I and II. Which is a very good thing!

Yeah amazon is basically saying the same thing. I think it's because there's still an issue getting product from the U.K. to the US, which is what is causing these delays for US retailers.

Ryan, I think your right as same thing in Canada Amazon as I preordered my copy Oct.20th and it did not ship. I did a Chat with a amazon rep and then a supervisor as well and I think they just make stuff up as they both told me this sold better than expected and sold out and more copies are on order. I hope thats true that it sold that well but to me makes no sense as if whatever orders they had from months ago you would think the manufactures would make copies for those at least.
Amazon uk shows ones are available and all resellers have some available and of course those resellers are from Europe so your statement makes more sense.

peter

Well, mine arrived from Burning Shed today, but with company staying here this week I'll be lucky to play the 5.1 until they're gone. The packaging on the set is very nice - some excellent photos/imagery.

Well after "Lost in the Ghost Light" was in my mailbox last night, I went to my apt office to see if "Blackfield V" was in there, and sure enough, it was! (No record on when it arrived though…)
I can't play the Blu-Ray at full volume until tomorrow morning, but I tried some small samples at low volume tonight, and I think the mix is very good!
I should also point out that even though he is not credited in the book, Ray Shulman authored the Blu-Ray (I just recognize his 'style') and the blend of the water images while the music is playing is a 'loverly' effect!
The book is also beautifully put together too.

I smell a '10' coming on!

After waiting for nearly a month, I got an e-mail from ImportCDs stating this item is not available and my order has been cancelled. And now it's out of stock at Burning Shed. Must be a hot seller!

GOS, I know how much you (and maybe others too) like the track "Lonely Soul".
Well you'll be happy to know that a video for the song will be released tomorrow!

C6aLZQqWYAIkyTD.jpg:large

GOS, I know how much you (and maybe others too) like the track "Lonely Soul".
Well you'll be happy to know that a video for the song will be released tomorrow!

C6aLZQqWYAIkyTD.jpg:large

Sweet! Can't wait to see it. It may seem strange that I like this song, of all songs. I think it's due to the unusual vibe of the song (being Blackfield that is). Plus, it just sounds excellent cranked up. :)

Listened to the album a couple of times when I received it a few weeks ago - it did not do much for me then. Listened through it again today - and suddenly it's great!!?? Some albums are strange like this :)

I agree with Gene - Lonely Soul is a great track! And From 44 to 48 is beautiful (y)

Back