Blackfield V out in November

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting development on SW's Facebook page:

The CD/Blu-Ray part is very intriguing because that seems to indicate surround sound, but I must say that I am more excited about the first part which says that this album "sees a return to the full partnership that made the first two albums such firm favourites with fans."

:)

It concerned me that it just said CD/Blu Ray with high resolution audio and not CD/Blu Ray with 5.1 high resolution audio

I don't think Geffen wants their stuff in 5.1, which is fine. If the Blu-ray has some visual stuff to it it would make it worth the purchase alone for me.

It concerned me that it just said CD/Blu Ray with high resolution audio and not CD/Blu Ray with 5.1 high resolution audio

I don't think Geffen wants their stuff in 5.1, which is fine. If the Blu-ray has some visual stuff to it it would make it worth the purchase alone for me.

Well "Blackfield IV" was mixed in surround sound (ironic just because that's the worst Blackfield album IMHO)
Like many fans (and SW himself) I would really want the other Blackfield albums mixed in surround too, especially the first two.
If there's a 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray, I'm most likely in for this album. If not, I may sit it out, just cause I was so disappointed with "Blackfield IV" and I would have to hear the album in full before deciding whether to buy it or not.

In a late November 2013 forum post titled "Blackfield,Covers and Porcupine Tree" that came out after IV was released in 5.1, SW indirectly reiterated that there was no change in Aviv's reluctance to have the Blackfield back catalog released with 5.1

fingers crossed that there was a change of thinking on the new release.

In a late November 2013 forum post titled "Blackfield,Covers and Porcupine Tree" that came out after IV was released in 5.1, SW indirectly reiterated that there was no change in Aviv's reluctance to have the Blackfield back catalog released with 5.1

fingers crossed that there was a change of thinking on the new release.

The key to that post however (as you pointed out) is that they were speaking about the back catalogue and specifically "Blackfield" and "Blackfield II".
Now obviously we all know that it doesn't make much sense to make a Blu-Ray for a studio album recording and not mix it in 5.1 surround, but hey, there have been lots of stereo-only Blu-Rays (especially from Universal) so anything's possible.
I just know that my odds of buying this decrease significantly if 5.1 surround is not a part of the set, especially since "IV" was so bad.

Well for me this would be a buy either way after reading that both were involved in the writing of songs of course I would prefer a 5.1 to be included.
That was the magic of the first two when SW and Aviv worked on stuff together.
After the first two SW was less involved or at least thats my impression as something is missing on the two albums after.
I don't mind IV as 3rd DNA lost me on the FU(Go to Hell) song, Aviv lost me on that one and as that was only song # 2 I tuned out after that.
I was happy that the 4th album had a 5.1 and I spin that one more than many other albums as its a simple short album and a few songs that I really like.

Well for me this would be a buy either way after reading that both were involved in the writing of songs of course I would prefer a 5.1 to be included.
That was the magic of the first two when SW and Aviv worked on stuff together.
After the first two SW was less involved or at least thats my impression as something is missing on the two albums after.
I don't mind IV as 3rd DNA lost me on the FU(Go to Hell) song, Aviv lost me on that one and as that was only song # 2 I tuned out after that.
I was happy that the 4th album had a 5.1 and I spin that one more than many other albums as its a simple short album and a few songs that I really like.

Totally. Practically soured the whole album for me, as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackfield-V/dp/B01LVW5KTR/?tag=bluraycom-21

Disc: 1
1. A Drop In The Ocean ( 01:23 )
2. Family Man ( 03:37 )
3. How Was Your Ride ? ( 03:58 )
4. We'll Never Be Apart ( 02:54 )
5. Sorrys ( 02:58 )
6. Life Is An Ocean ( 03:26 )
7. Lately ( 03:24 )
8. October ( 03:31 )
9. The Jackal ( 03:56 )
10. Salt Water ( 02:39 )
11. Undercover Heart ( 04:02 )
12. Lonely Soul ( 03:42 )
13. From 44 To 48 ( 04:31 )
Disc: 2
1. Audio Blu-ray ( 5.1 Surround Mix & Hi-Res Stereo Mix )

And it's good to read that SW is considerably more involved with this one than the previous two.

Agreed. Based on the previous four albums, it seems to me that the less SW is involved, the more mediocre Blackfield becomes, so if this record really is as good as I and II, I will be one, happy panda! :)

Blackfield III & 4 were decent, but SW does bring Aviv up a notch - sometimes I find that a bit odd as Aviv's hebrew albums stand up very very well, with many BF tracks coming from Aviv's hebrew versions - 1000 People on BF 2 is the same backing track from Aviv's version, just sub his hebrew vocals for Steven's english ones.

I'd thought a couple years back after Aviv's english album didn't get any notice that the idea was that "Aviv Geffen" was for the hebrew albums and "Blackfield" was for the english ones, seemed to make sense with what SW had said about his diminishing involvement...but to quote his no-man song....things change.

Fingers crossed the final Pineapple Thief remix Abducted at Birth will receive a Hi-Res DVD to accompany the CD as well. Of course the rest of the catalogue will need to be released in Hi-Res following that so fingers crossed for these. BD would be nice but I won't hold my breath. :)

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackfield-V/dp/B01LVW5KTR/?tag=bluraycom-21

Disc: 1
1. A Drop In The Ocean ( 01:23 )
2. Family Man ( 03:37 )
3. How Was Your Ride ? ( 03:58 )
4. We'll Never Be Apart ( 02:54 )
5. Sorrys ( 02:58 )
6. Life Is An Ocean ( 03:26 )
7. Lately ( 03:24 )
8. October ( 03:31 )
9. The Jackal ( 03:56 )
10. Salt Water ( 02:39 )
11. Undercover Heart ( 04:02 )
12. Lonely Soul ( 03:42 )
13. From 44 To 48 ( 04:31 )
Disc: 2
1. Audio Blu-ray ( 5.1 Surround Mix & Hi-Res Stereo Mix )

Oh boy...more money to spend...and....
ORDERED!!

From Amazon UK, for me is US $18.90 shipped. I LOVE these sort of prices...awesome.

Here is the official message on Blackfield facebook today:

Blackfield V will soon be available to pre-order. There will be a gatefold vinyl edition (on 2 LPs cut at 45rpm for maximum quality), a standard CD, and a deluxe CD/Blu-Ray edition. The Blu-Ray includes the album in both high resolution stereo and 5.1 surround sound. The 13 track album runs approximately 45 minutes, track listing as follows:
1. A Drop in the Ocean (1.23)
2. Family Man (3.37)
3. How Was Your Ride? (3.58)
4. We’ll Never Be Apart (2.54)
5. Sorrys (2.58)
6. Life is an Ocean (3.26)
7. Lately (3.24)
8. October (3.31)
9. The Jackal (3.56)
10. Salt Water (2.39)
11. Undercover Heart (4.02)
12. Lonely Soul (3.42)
13. From 44 to 48 (4.31)

Totally. Practically soured the whole album for me, as well.
Too bad... You missed out on the two best songs on the album:

[video=youtube;w0-auHdrWCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-auHdrWCM[/video]

Fair enough, JJ :) There's definitely some nice songs (I never said there weren't!). I've always really liked Far Away, also, even though it's a major downer! Overall, the album feels uninspired and rather boring :zzzzz when compared to Blackfield 1 & 2, and, wow, Go To Hell is just... cringe inducing... IMO, of course...

Back