BT: Electronic Opus Blu-ray - 5.1 DTS HD MA and 9.1 Auro 3D - due Sept. 30

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meet the audio engineer:

Those mixes look pretty compressed. Darcy will apply hard limiting. I am guaranteeing this will be one of the loudest Blu Rays of all time, BUT will still probably sound decent and not overly harsh.

Those mixes look pretty compressed. Darcy will apply hard limiting. I am guaranteeing this will be one of the loudest Blu Rays of all time.

I'll trust your ears on this one.

$16!?!?

Sold! Thank you.

Just ordered mine as well. Together with Season 1 of Ash vs. Evil Dead on Blu-Ray, and the 2005 R.E.M. "Out of Time" DVD-A edition.

DAMN YOU, IMPULSES!! :-D

(btw, Canadians: there are still guys selling the R.E.M. "Out of Time" CD+DVD-A set for 33 bucks on amazon.ca!)

Pre-order is £14.19 @ Amazon UK right now..

..but when you factor in international shipping and import duty if one were buying it from the U.S or Canada, I doubt there's much in it for UK and European QQ members wanting to get this one from any of the Amazons when all's said and done :)

Link to Buy this new surround title from Amazon UK;

Amazon UK: Electronic Opus Blu-ray Audio

Pre-order is £14.19 @ Amazon UK right now..

..but when you factor in international shipping and import duty if one were buying it from the U.S or Canada, I doubt there's much in it for UK and European QQ members wanting to get this one from any of the Amazons when all's said and done :)

Link to Buy this new surround title from Amazon UK;

Amazon UK: Electronic Opus Blu-ray Audio

For US customers, this is, IMO, a very fair price http://www.importcds.com/bt-electronic-opus/808798101097

Arrived today from Amazon. I will put a few comments here later tonight after I get a chance to listen. First track is a dance track of sorts, but very immersive with lots of discrete content in the surrounds as one would expect from BT.

Okay, I did give this one one listen the other night. I think folks should try to sample the tunes before they jump in. Some of these tracks are instrumentals, others are dance tracks with vocals. Not all of these might be to everybody's taste. Lots of discrete content, and the mix at times is aggressive, but I was slightly underwhelmed upon listening just based on the previous two BT surround discs that I have enjoyed.

Still, if you like the mix of tunes, the low cost makes this one a no-brainer. I am listening to the 5.1, btw. I don't have an AERO 9.1 set up.

Last edited:
Quite like this disc, I have heard some of BT's music before and I like the melodies. My fave electronic artist is Underworld and I'd absolutely LOVE to see any of their albums from dubnobass onwards get a 5.1 treatment but this isn't bad at all. Some cool centre and surround activity occurring within the first minute of track 1 that lets you know this WILL be a surround mix that uses all the channels.

But holy smokes, is the stereo track ever just slammed. Given how much dynamics are in the multitracks (the 5.1 mix lets us know this), Emily Lazar who ruined the stereo track of Coldplay's newest album really did a number here. I ripped the 24/96 LPCM 2.0 track and the dts core of the dts-HD Master Audio track and uploaded both to the DR log.

2.0 - DR4 - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/116288
5.1 - DR11 - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/116287

I really don't think this is a live album, guys. All the information I've been able to find online is that this is a straight-up 5.1 (and 9.1) mix of the "Electronic Opus" album that came out last year, which itself was accompanied by live performances, but is a studio album.

I've been listening to it for the past few days on YouTube while amazon.ca gets their act together (they say I should have it by Friday), and I really love this. Fantastic arrangements, the orchestra really shines, and I can't imagine this being any less than stellar in terms of sound quality and mixing, given BT's previous surround releases.

Also, some MEAN bass on that mofo. There's a very low, thundering rumble at the end of track 3, "Dreaming", that I think will be killer on the ol' 5.1 system.

Really looking forward to it.

On a side note, given that there are now a handful of 9.1 releases out there (Mando Diao, Tiesto, this here, Lichtmond), has *anybody* gotten themselves a 9.1 sound system?

Just my first impression here, but this is easily the best surround mix I've heard all year! I agree that it doesn't appear to be a live concert but that's probably a good thing. All this noise about supporting Coldplay because it's a new release in surround - well this is a new release in surround and it kicks ass! I call only imagine what this must sound like in Auro 9.1 - a definite reference disc for me.

Just my first impression here, but this is easily the best surround mix I've heard all year! I agree that it doesn't appear to be a live concert but that's probably a good thing. All this noise about supporting Coldplay because it's a new release in surround - well this is a new release in surround and it kicks ass! I call only imagine what this must sound like in Auro 9.1 - a definite reference disc for me.

Ordered. Elmer has never steered me wrong.
Two day shipping.
Go big river go.

I 100% agree. This is everything I had hoped it would be. Mix and sonics are a perfect 10, and as for the music - well it depends on whether you're into electronica, of course. I am, and this is top-shelf. There's a whole bunch of very dancey/trancey tracks on here, with stomping beats, while in-between, you get lush, melodic chillout soundscapes that have a very heavy classical tinge.

I think it's 50% instrumental, 50% with vocals. The songs are bright and uplifting, with positive messages as you often find in this genre (I appreciate the same type of songwriting by e.g. Lichtmond, Armin Van Buuren, Blank & Jones).

A no-brainer at 16 CAD. Hope this gets a poll soon - Jon? :)

P.S.: for those who want to listen before buying, the entire album is on YouTube.

I wish this was Dolby Atmos instead of Auro. You have to upgrade to Auro at cost of $149.

From what I have read DTS HD MA consists of two files:

1. The usual lossy DTS
2. The supplemental info to add back what was taken out in the lossy version

It is a bit like the old FM Stereo -- the basic broadcast is mono but there is also a difference signal in the vestigial sideband which when added and subtracted from the mono, produces the R and L channels.

Back to DTS. The lossy DTS is output through the SPDIF (optical / coax) output of DVD players but the lossless version comes out only through the HDMI.

Here is my question. If I wanted to make a copy of only the LOSSY version, how can I do it?

-- I tried to record it on a 24 bit digital recorder. On playback I only got hiss.
-- I then tried to record it on a Mac using the SPDIF input. QuickTime seemed to recognize the incoming signal but the resulting file output failed to produce sound from a DTS receiver. Or even hiss.

I am lost...I suspect this has something to do with little endian / big endian and 44.1 / 48 kHz matters.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

It's a shame they can't sell this as a downloadable album given it's been out of print for years and years and years.

Back