Thanks Thanks:  99
Likes Likes:  171
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

5.1 icon R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

For those of you who never picked up the CD/DVDA-V edition of R.E.M.'s "Out of Time" (or for those of you, like me, who prefer, Blu-Ray to DVDA-V) you're in luck!

amazon.com have just posted preorders for 25th anniversary reissues of R.E.M.'s classic 1991 album "Out of Time".
    The one of interest to us is this one, which contains 3 CDs and a Blu-Ray disc: https://www.amazon.com/Out-Time-Blu-...dp/B01KXQBQRG/

Plus this was posted on the MusicTAP site:

On November 18, Concord Records will reissue a new remaster of Out Of Time for a 25th Anniversary Edition that will appear in several configurations. There will be a 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition featuring the original album, along with a second CD of 19 bonus tracks (see list below). There is a 3CD/1BD Deluxe 25th Anniversary Edition with an extra added CD that contains the fifteen track Live At Mountain Stage, and a Blu-ray-Audio collection of the original tracks in several variations, as well as Time Piece.
    Tracklisting is as follows:

CD1 Out Of Time (2CD, 3CD/BD):
    01 Radio Song
    02 Losing My Religion
    03 Low
    04 Near Wild Heaven
    05 Endgame
    06 Shiny Happy People
    07 Belong
    08 Half A World Away
    09 Texarkana
    10 Country Feedback
    11 Me In Honey

CD2 (Bonus Tracks):
    01 Losing My Religion 1
    02 Near Wild Heaven 1
    03 Shiny Happy People 1
    04 Texarkana 1
    05 Untitled Demo 2
    06 Radio Acoustic (Radio Song 1)
    07 Near Wild Heaven 2
    08 Shiny Happy People 2
    09 Slow Sad Rocker (Endgame)
    10 Radio Band (Radio Song 3)
    11 Losing My Religion 2
    12 Belong
    13 Blackbirds (Half A World Away)
    14 Texarkana
    15 Country Feedback
    16 Me On Keyboard (Me In Honey)
    17 Low
    18 40 Sec. (40 Second Song)
    19 Fretless 1

CD3 Live At Mountain Stage
    1 Introduction
    2 World Leader Pretend
    3 Radio Song
    4 Fall On Me
    5 Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
    6 Half A World Away
    7 Belong
    8 Love Is All Around
    9 Losing My Religion
    10 Dallas (w/Billy Bragg, Robyn Hitchcock, Clive Gregson, Christine Collister)
    11 Radio Song
    12 Disturbance At The Heron House
    13 Low
    14 Swan Swan H
    15 Pop Song 89

BD1 Out Of Time (Hi-res, etc)
    01 Radio Song
    02 Losing My Religion
    03 Low
    04 Near Wild Heaven
    05 Endgame
    06 Shiny Happy People
    07 Belong
    08 Half A World Away
    09 Texarkana
    10 Country Feedback
    11 Me In Honey
    12 Radio Song
    13 Losing My Religion
    14 Low
    15 Near Wild Heaven
    16 Endgame
    17 Shiny Happy People
    18 Belong
    19 Half A World Away
    20 Texarkana
    21 Country Feedback
    22 Me In Honey
    23 Radio Song
    24 Losing My Religion
    25 Low
    26 Near Wild Heaven
    27 Shiny Happy People
    28 Belong
    29 Half A World Away
    30 Country Feedback
    31 Time Piece (18:02)

Now the Blu-Ray track listing from MusicTAP is not specific, but here's how it should break down:
    Tracks 1-22 should be the original 1991 stereo mix and the 2005 5.1 surround mix in high-resolution.
    Tracks 23-30 should be the original music videos for these songs as released on the "This Film is On" DVD.
    Finally, "Time Piece" is the same documentary that was included on the 2005 DVD-A/V release.

Looks pretty great, doesn't it?

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

Hmmm... not the most interesting of REM albums for me. If the price is right, I could see springing for it.
    I have Losing My Relgion on the Best of DVD-A, so... eh. Not sure. This album is kind of REM's Roll the Bones to me. Too glossy and poppy.

3. Likes von kulper liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

Any mention of a stand-alone blu-ray?
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

5. Likes JanBakker liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesSocial50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW..!! Not too bothered about this particular title but more so the potential (mustn't get my hopes up, of course, could be indicative of nothing!) with the news Comcord are doing Blu-ray Audio..

If (big if but hope springs eternal, right Ryan? ) IF Concord are getting into the Blu-ray Audio game, BRING ON THE GOOD STUFF BABY..!!

Not only did Concord do some of the most wonderful Surround SACDs "back in the day" but those guys are also sitting on all sorts of amazing catalogues, not least among them, Stax/Fantasy.. with Quads among them, some wonderful mixes and/or pretty cool artists (including Isaac Hayes' Shaft, Tough Guys & Joy albums, Staple Singers/Be What You Are.. fabulous Quads all of them.. and Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc...)
    "Surround Sound From The End of the World to Your Town"
    825 SACD (676 MCh), 348 DVD-A, 298 SQ LP,
    138 CD-4, 133 Audio-DVD, 117 DualDisc, 112 BD-A,
    79 DTS CD, 56 Q8, 34 QS LP, 29 Dolby Surround CD,
    6 MultiCh DL

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr. simple View Post
    Any mention of a stand-alone blu-ray?
    If there was, then I would have said something about it, but the formats are as follows:

-Single Remastered CD
    -Double CD Edition
    -Triple CD/Blu-Ray Edition (link and info on that edition is posted above)
    -Single Remastered Vinyl
    -Triple Vinyl Set

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

8. Thanks dr. simple thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredblue View Post
    WOW..!! Not too bothered about this particular title but more so the potential (mustn't get my hopes up, of course, could be indicative of nothing!) with the news Comcord are doing Blu-ray Audio..

If (big if but hope springs eternal, right Ryan? ) IF Concord are getting into the Blu-ray Audio game, BRING ON THE GOOD STUFF BABY..!!

Not only did Concord do some of the most wonderful Surround SACDs "back in the day" but those guys are also sitting on all sorts of amazing catalogues, not least among them, Stax/Fantasy.. with Quads among them, some wonderful mixes and/or pretty cool artists (including Isaac Hayes' Shaft, Tough Guys & Joy albums, Staple Singers/Be What You Are.. fabulous Quads all of them.. and Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc...)
    Honestly Adam, I think you're getting ahead of yourself on this one, lol
    I'm just glad that R.E.M. and Concord are (supposedly) including the 5.1 mix in this 25th anniversary edition.
    The 5.1 mixes for both "Document" and "Green" were left off of those 25th anniversary editions when each of those albums were under different labels ("Document was still under EMI in 2012 while "Green" was still under Warner Bros in 2013.)
    Let's hope this new trend continues into next year when R.E.M. are most likely going to release a 25th anniversary edition of my favorite album of theirs, "Automatic for the People"!

10. Likes IronWaffle liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

If this pans out then I'm pretty happy with the set. Yeah, just a touch disappointed that there's no material from their secret shows at the Borderline but the handful of performances already released from Mountain Stage are quite good. Hi-res is an unexpected bonus (as is 5.1, even if I have all the Warner DVD-As). This makes me more confident that Automatic may also have some surprises. I kind of feared the bonuses would be mostly previously released b-sides.

Hopefully any (re)mastering is tasteful. I'm not the most discerning listener on the brickwalling front but even I feel the previous 25th anniversary sets sound crushed. I've always felt this album has an airy quality.

I was already an R.E.M. fan before this came out but this album solidified my love for the band. While I understand the criticisms, this album came out as my tastes shifted from rock to folk so it was a very good bridge.
    "Here's a truck stop instead of St. Peter's" - R.E.M.
    "Im just a fool, a dreamer who forgot to dream of the me and you.
    I am not alone. Ive met a few traveling light like we used to do." - Leonard Cohen

12. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Snood liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star salsdali's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is the same Concord Records (Concord Music Group) that did the Monster 5.1 DTS 96/24 DVD's then it a match made in heaven.

EDIT: http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...er-bros-albums

Concord plans to release deluxe reissues of the classic Warner albums (from Green to Up), with bonus material, on its Concord imprint.

R.E.M. has entered into a multi-year, worldwide licensing agreement with Concord Bicycle Music for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee's catalog recorded from 1988 to 2011.

The deal covers the years R.E.M. recorded for Warner Bros. The group's pact with the Burbank-based label expires at the end of the year and the Concord deal begins in early 2016. Among the albums under the new agreement are Green, Out of Time, Automatic For the People, Monster, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and Up.

14. Thanks fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the "Timepiece" documentary:

16. Thanks IronWaffle thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, amazon.com have confirmed it this morning. There will be 5.1 surround audio in this 25th anniversary edition.

1991's Out of Time catapulted R.E.M. from an indie favorite to one of the biggest bands in the world, with hit singles 'Losing My Religion' and 'Shiny Happy People.' In a case-bound book, this deluxe, 25th anniversary edition features the remastered album, with a treasure trove of bonus material, including new liner notes, 19 never-before-heard demos, an unreleased 1991 live show, plus eight music videos, a 1991 EPK video, and the album in hi-res and 5.1 Surround Sound formats on a Blu-ray disc.
    And the Blu-Ray track listing (yep, I was right about high-res stereo, surround sound, and the music videos all being on there)

Disc: 4
    1. Out of Time Hi-Resolution Audio
    2. Out of Time 5.1 Surround Sound
    3. Radio Song (music video)
    4. Losing My Religion (music video)
    5. Low (music video)
    6. Near Wild Heaven (music video)
    7. Shiny Happy People (music video)
    8. Belong (music video)
    9. Half a World Away (music video)
    10. Country Feedback (music video)
    11. Time Piece

18. Thanks IronWaffle, Robert van Diggele, vegas thanked for this post
    Likes IronWaffle, Robert van Diggele, vegas liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salsdali View Post
    If this is the same Concord Records (Concord Music Group) that did the Monster 5.1 DTS 96/24 DVD's then it a match made in heaven.

EDIT: http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...er-bros-albums
    Its one and the same.. however, the Monster people were behind those Surround releases (Noel Lee; Head Monster.. etc. big fans of MultiCh Music) it was their pet project, afaik, Concord was just the label.
    6 MultiCh DL

20. Thanks JanBakker thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    Honestly Adam, I think you're getting ahead of yourself on this one, lol
    I'm just glad that R.E.M. and Concord are (supposedly) including the 5.1 mix in this 25th anniversary edition.
    The 5.1 mixes for both "Document" and "Green" were left off of those 25th anniversary editions when each of those albums were under different labels ("Document was still under EMI in 2012 while "Green" was still under Warner Bros in 2013.)
    Let's hope this new trend continues into next year when R.E.M. are most likely going to release a 25th anniversary edition of my favorite album of theirs, "Automatic for the People"!
    Yeah.. dunno why I bother.. don't care much about this one specifically getting reissued in surround btw, the CD+DVD-A was readily available here for a fiver years ago, they could hardly give it away.. don't know why they think its gonna suddenly sell more now but best of British luck to them... and I'm very happy for those here and elsewhere who missed it 1st time round etc. )
    6 MultiCh DL

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star The Bright Side's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome news! This 5.1 has been on my shopping list for a while. Not sure yet if I'll go for this set, though, or find the the old DVD-A used. I seem to see the latter available for about 30 USD, so it might be cheaper than the new set...

23. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    400 Club - QQ All Star dobyblue's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news, this really is a good 5.1 mix and I think the album still holds up well today from start to finish. Near Wild Heaven, Belong, Low, Me In Honey, lots of good tracks on here.

Well done whomever made the decision to include the 5.1 now on Blu-ray, will probably get that version even though I have the CD+DVD-A of Green and Out of Time (and DVD-A of Automatic for the People) just because of the additional features.

25. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, JanBakker liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't own any REM in surround, so this one sort of gets my interest...I suppose it depends on the final, low price.

27. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know if the mixes on the Best of DVD-A are the same as this album?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edisonbaggins View Post
    I need to review them first before I give you a definitive answer, but I think the "Losing My Religion" 5.1 mixes are different, with the album 5.1 mix being the superior mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. Thanks JanBakker thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    I don't own any REM in surround, so this one sort of gets my interest...I suppose it depends on the final, low price.
    The R.E.M 5.1's are Elliot "Surround Master" Scheiner mixes, Gene, if that floats your flotilla..
    6 MultiCh DL

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Monster and New Adventures and love 'em to pieces.

33. Likes LuvMyQuad, rtbluray, JanBakker liked this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    You need this and several others. You need Automatic For the People

35. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all of the original REM DVD-A releases, along with LPs, CDs, and they just don't sound top drawer to me.
    Not the mixing or the mastering but they have a digital sound and I hate that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it.
    Not bad by any stretch but I always wondered where in the process they fell a little short.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part REM is one of my absolute favorite bands.
    Been into them since Chronic Town and seen them several times live.
    As LuvMyQuad said, AFTP is essential.

Not surround titles but the first 2 CDs on Mo-Fi are exemplary releases.
    FWIW, I bought a couple of the Deluxe Edition(cd only) releases and they are not good.

37. Likes LuvMyQuad, Robert van Diggele liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

The R.E.M 5.1's are Elliot "Surround Master" Scheiner mixes, Gene, if that floats your flotilla..
    Yes, it does float my device.

39. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, fredblue, JanBakker liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milt View Post
    I have all of the original REM DVD-A releases, along with LPs, CDs, and they just don't sound top drawer to me.
    Not the mixing or the mastering but they have a digital sound and I hate that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it.
    Not bad by any stretch but I always wondered where in the process they fell a little short.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part REM is one of my absolute favorite bands.
    Been into them since Chronic Town and seen them several times live.
    As LuvMyQuad said, AFTP is essential.

Not surround titles but the first 2 CDs on Mo-Fi are exemplary releases.
    FWIW, I bought a couple of the Deluxe Edition(cd only) releases and they are not good.
    Well, I don't have to have top shelf...I would take a shelf about 2/3's up the ladder I suppose.

EDIT - oops, you said drawer....now that's totally different. lmao

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edisonbaggins View Post
    I need to review them first before I give you a definitive answer, but I think the "Losing My Religion" 5.1 mixes are different, with the album 5.1 mix being the superior mix.
    Yep, after listening back, I was right. Not only is the 5.1 mix of "Losing My Religion" different on "In Time" as compared to "Out of Time", but the "Out of Time" mix is so much better, it's not even close at all!
    The "Out of Time" 5.1 mix is not only so much more discrete, but it has more punch and power in the low end too. It's definitely a much more satisfying mix!

Glad they decided they could mix it better, and they did!

42. Thanks edisonbaggins, JanBakker, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, JanBakker, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, after listening back, I was right. Not only is the 5.1 mix of "Losing My Religion" different on "In Time" as compared to "Out of Time", but the "Out of Time" mix is so much better, it's not even close at all!
    The "Out of Time" 5.1 mix is not only so much more discrete, but it has more punch and power in the low end too. It's definitely a much more satisfying mix!

Glad they decided they could mix it better, and they did!
    Hmmm - do you think they may have done something like upmixing for the Best of set? Would the really do one inferior discrete set of mixes for the Best of, from the multis, then do completely separate, discrete mixes, from the multis, for each album?
    Is there some history written on this somewhere?

44. Likes JanBakker liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast