Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Song Book on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Coming to SACD on September 23rd from Razor and Tie's "Analog Spark" label: Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Song Book
32 tracks of Cole Porter classics.

Ella Sings Cole Porter.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1..._The_Cole_Porter_Song_Book-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://analogspark.com/

Coming to Stereo SACD on September 23rd from Razor and Tie's "Analog Spark" label: Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Song Book
32 tracks of Cole Porter classics.

View attachment 27078

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1..._The_Cole_Porter_Song_Book-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://analogspark.com/

Now yer talkin'. About time the first of several of Ella Fitzgerald's CLASSIC songbooks find their way onto hi res physical disc. Hopefully more will follow. Thanks, Brian....you MADE MY DAY!:sun

Last edited:
Are you sure that this is a Stereo SACD? The original release and all its subsequent reissues were in Mono. The DCC Gold CD release was in Mono and even the three LP set which will be released at the same time as the SACD will be in Mono, according to Elusive Disc:

• Pressed at RTI
• Mastered From Original Mono Tapes
• Mastered By Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound

Still, this will be a sweet sounding release. I've owned the original CD pressing mastered by Dennis Drake and the DCC set mastered by Steve Hoffman. If you like vocal Jazz from the 50's, this will make you happy.

Here's what Steve Hoffman said a few years back about the history of the album's first releases on LP:

For those of you who love and collect versions of Ella's first groundbreaking album for Verve Records, I have some info for you and hopefully you have some info for me.

The double album (8 songs a side, almost 1/2 hour each, four sides, a massive undertaking) was recorded Feb. and March of 1956 at Capitol, Melrose (KHJ Studios), engineer Val Valentin.

I don't have the original take numbers, do you? I have master numbers if anyone cares.

The 2 hour album was assembled on 4-9-56 (not sure why the long wait). The four sides were also mastered at Capitol on that same day and shipped to RCA, Rockaway, NJ for pressing.

That was the first press.

About a year later, for whatever reason (probably consumer complaints that their records skipped) there was a massive redo of this (now famous) double album.

I don't mean they recorded it over, I do mean they REDUBBED all four sides.

This is what they did.

On Feb. 7, 1957 at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, the four Capitol Studio tapes were redubbed using the Radio Recorders "Cinema EQ" which was (for whatever reason), losing all info below 55 cycles, boosting the 5k range by +4 and killing all top end over 10k with the limiter set on stun (4:1). These new reels were marked "Master" and the old Capitol reels marked (guess what?) NFM (Not For Master).

On that same day, parts were recut using the new "easy play" tapes. Ami Hadani cut the new mono parts boosting the midband (for whatever reason) another 2 db at 3kc and reducing the bass -2 at 150 cycles.

So, you vinyl collectors, there should be a big sound discrepancy between the 1956 pressings and all other pressings made after the start of 1957.

Now, I was told, by who I cannot remember, that when they broke the album apart and changed artwork (what year was that, late 1950's?) some of the recuts on THOSE versions might have gone back to the original Capitol tapes for cutting since the mastering gear had become more sophisticated by then. They think that is possible because those LP versions seem to have more bass, but it could be just a better cutting system in place. I have not played any so I have no idea if this is true or not.

That is all the info I have on this great album of a technical nature. If YOU have more, please add to this thread.

BTW, the DCC Gold CD version of ELLA FITZGERALD SINGS THE COLE PORTER SONGBOOK uses the proper 2/56 Capitol Studio full track mono masters. I have no idea what was used on other CD versions of this. Hopefully they did the same and were not swayed by the "Master" markings on the radical EQ dubs.

For those who want to audition snippets from the Cole Porter Songbooks: http://us.napster.com/artist/ella-fitzgerald/album/sings-the-cole-porter-songbook

I believe Simon is correct. The album is MONO [recorded in 1956 by Norman Granz] and will be a 2 SACD disc set. Great price [so far]: http://www.importcds.com/ella-fitzgerald-sings-the-cole-porter-song-book/888072004740

TT: 1:58.

In all, Ms Fitzgerald recorded 8 Songbooks for the Verve Label so, hopefully, this will be one in a series of 8 SACD sets [fingers crossed].

For those who want to audition snippets from the Cole Porter Songbooks: http://us.napster.com/artist/ella-fitzgerald/album/sings-the-cole-porter-songbook

I believe Simon is correct. The album is MONO [recorded in 1956 by Norman Granz] and will be a 2 SACD disc set. Great price [so far]: http://www.importcds.com/ella-fitzgerald-sings-the-cole-porter-song-book/888072004740

TT: 1:58.

In all, Ms Fitzgerald recorded 8 Songbooks for the Verve Label so, hopefully, this will be one in a series of 8 SACD sets [fingers crossed].

I think it would be great to get all of her songbooks on SACD but we have been very fortunate to have access to superb sounding CDs of these albums from the very beginning of the CD age. For anyone looking for an economical option, seek out the original early/mid-80's CD releases on Verve which were mastered from the original master tapes (in most cases) by Dennis Drake. These are the versions I reach for when I need my fix of Ella and I think they sound really sweet.

I think it would be great to get all of her songbooks on SACD but we have been very fortunate to have access to superb sounding CDs of these albums from the very beginning of the CD age. For anyone looking for an economical option, seek out the original early/mid-80's CD releases on Verve which were mastered from the original master tapes (in most cases) by Dennis Drake. These are the versions I reach for when I need my fix of Ella and I think they sound really sweet.

Simon, I've had Ella on LP, cassette, Open Reel and RBCD and by far the best ELLA, sonically, are the few released by AP on SACD. $23 delivered [Cole Porter Songbooks] for a 2 SACD set [Import CD] is a very fair price, IMO and should comfortably eclipse the RBCDs if they're anything like the AP SACDs.

I do have some remastered Verve Ella on RBCD and believe me, the SACDs are SUPERIOR.

Last edited:
Are you sure that this is a Stereo SACD? The original release and all its subsequent reissues were in Mono. The DCC Gold CD release was in Mono and even the three LP set which will be released at the same time as the SACD will be in Mono, according to Elusive Disc:

• Pressed at RTI
• Mastered From Original Mono Tapes
• Mastered By Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound

Still, this will be a sweet sounding release. I've owned the original CD pressing mastered by Dennis Drake and the DCC set mastered by Steve Hoffman. If you like vocal Jazz from the 50's, this will make you happy.

Here's what Steve Hoffman said a few years back about the history of the album's first releases on LP:

Simon, just ordered this from importcds as their price was as usual, the lowest.
This release is by a vendor named Analog Spark.
As described on the web site these are from the mono masters recorded in 1956 so yes, you are correct.
SHF feedback has been uniformly excellent.

BTW, did you get a new do for 2017 or are you combing your mane straight back? :)
In either event you look as good as ever!!

Simon, just ordered this from importcds as their price was as usual, the lowest.
This release is by a vendor named Analog Spark.
As described on the web site these are from the mono masters recorded in 1956 so yes, you are correct.
SHF feedback has been uniformly excellent.

BTW, did you get a new do for 2017 or are you combing your mane straight back? :)
In either event you look as good as ever!!

You'll enjoy this album tremendously if you haven't already owned it. I've had the DCC Gold CD version for year and it's fabulous.

Thank for the kind words! :) Yes, I did get a major hair cut. A new look for the New Year. :)

You'll enjoy this album tremendously if you haven't already owned it. I've had the DCC Gold CD version for year and it's fabulous.

Thank for the kind words! :) Yes, I did get a major hair cut. A new look for the New Year. :)

Almost didn't recognize you.

At least, unlike some of us, you have hair to cut LOL

The disc shipped today really looking forward to it.

Since you live in The Great White Quebecios North, guessing you invested in a serious tuque to make up for the lost insulation ;)

The disc shipped today really looking forward to it.

Since you live in The Great White Quebecois North, guessing you invested in a serious tuque to make up for the lost insulation ;)

Well I'm one of the very few on the planet that actually loves Winter. We've had about two feet of snow these last two days (which isn't that much) and I'm loving it. I'm the happiest at around -20 C (- 4 F). :D

Well I'm one of the very few on the planet that actually loves Winter. We've had about two feet of snow these last two days (which isn't that much) and I'm loving it. I'm the happiest at around -20 C (- 4 F). :D

Simon....LOVE the new doo and glad you're enjoying the COLD Porter Songbook. Better you than me....I HATE winter.(n)

"In the midst of winter, I found in me an indomitable SUMMER!"

Back