Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Has anybody else had the Blu-ray in the Immersion Box Set with the 4.0/5.1 versions of "Dark Side Of The Moon" fail?

I bought mine when it came out, and played it loads of times. So I'd convinced an old friend to buy a Universal 5.1 player with his new set-up, and took the disc with me on my trip to Norfolk & Suffolk last weekend - I put it in the player and it failed to recognise the disc. So I tried it at home today and it failed to be recognised in both my BD players, and PC.

On the plus side, I took a few other discs with me, and both my friend and his wife loved the surround music, saying the sound quality and immersive experience was great. So 2 more converts to Hi-Res surround music :51banana:

Wow, what a disappointment.

Anyone else experience this issue? I wonder if the "bad" disc can still be read by a PC BD drive?

Sadly it won't. I've e-mailed EMI to ask if its possible to get a replacement disc, I suspect not :violin

Wow, what a disappointment.

Anyone else experience this issue? I wonder if the "bad" disc can still be read by a PC BD drive?

I had one of the Yes BluRays suddenly stop working as well.
It is a concern and well worth discussing, especially if it is proven BluRay audio discs quality may not be reliable in the long run for some reason.

Sadly it won't. I've e-mailed EMI to ask if its possible to get a replacement disc, I suspect not :violin

Sadly, the EMI that produced that set no longer exists. I was told I wouldn't be able to get a fixed Wish You Were Here on that basis. Worth asking though.

Is it from a European set, BTW? No cracks or marks or anything obvious on the disc?

Last edited:
Maybe this is an issue found with European made discs and not with Mexican made discs. The Mexican made discs of Wish You Were Here did not have the glitches found on the European made discs.

It's just a few clicks, so not a major deal on WYWH. I've got the EU Dark Side too, and I've not had problems. No idea how old mine is as it was second hand. Not had any problems with it though.

Hey guys, I've got an idea, but I'm not the guy to pull it off. Maybe there's someone on the forum whose forte is quality control or statistics or something, but I'm not the guy and I don't have the time or gumption to do it.

Could we possibly start a registry of what BDs are failing and in what BD players? Maybe there's a common denominator. For example, maybe there are BD players that are flawed and are responsible for rendering BDs useless, or maybe there are specific disc manufacturers.

I know this happened to Dennis Mabry with his Hypnotic Eye BD.

Hello there,
my disc is faulty as well, unfortunately. The disc is not being recognized by PC BD drives (LG, Buffalo). Plays (still?) fine on my stand-alone blu-ray players from Marantz and Sony.

Cheers,
Andreas

I also seem to have a faulty DSotM blu-ray disc - it has stopped working in my 2009 Panasonic player (having worked perfectly when I got the boxed set back in 2011). However, it works fine in my wife's 2011 Panasonic AND in my 2016 Sony UHP1. This is not the only blu-ray music disc which has previously worked fine and then become 'fussy': The 2014 'Quadrophenia' Blu-ray Pure Audio disc now only works in the Sony. A firmware update (Oct. 2016) made no difference to my Panasonic.

What's probably happening is twofold. There IS a manufacturing defect of some kind in the bluray. With a "good" bluray drive the disc is read with no issue. (If the issue is reflective, the drive has a higher tolerance and/or better error correction.) A "bad" drive struggles.

Perhaps a first sign of an aging drive?

Dust on the laser lens?

Easy swap in a computer but likely another story in a stand alone player. Might be able to clean it by just removing the cover though.

I haven't had reason to check my discs after ripping them into the library.

Anyone know if bluray discs can corrode like CDs do? Or is this a thing of the past even with CDs now?

Anyone know if bluray discs can corrode like CDs do? Or is this a thing of the past even with CDs now?

Yep, they can. Some Criterions a while back had this issue where they were 'bronzing' and becoming un-readable. I know there has been other reports of bad discs on blu-ray forums for various reasons. I think like most things it's down to how well it's made and then looked after. I've still got CD's from the 80's that look new and play perfectly. I think disc rot usually shows up after a few years as the oxygen in the air starts to get in.

Yep, they can. Some Criterions a while back had this issue where they were 'bronzing' and becoming un-readable. I know there has been other reports of bad discs on blu-ray forums for various reasons. I think like most things it's down to how well it's made and then looked after. I've still got CD's from the 80's that look new and play perfectly. I think disc rot usually shows up after a few years as the oxygen in the air starts to get in.

Pros and cons to everything. We live in a golden age of music delivery formats now with 24 bit HD discrete surround sound and all. But now it takes a new level of DIY to use! You have to treat any disc as a temporary delivery format for your digital library and rely on keeping your files backed up. For those with no interest to learn this system, it seems like these modern times can be disastrous!

I run across plenty of 30 year old discs that are apparently error free too but I just know I probably have 100 or more coasters hiding in my collection at this point if I were to look. The original physical discs just can NOT be considered a reliable backup! Period! I'd say it's more important to transfer any disc you purchase into your digital library than it was to make analog copies of vinyl back in the day.

If another forum member happened to purchase the same disc, they could help you transfer the suspect disc and verify it against their copy for accuracy. ;)

You have to treat any disc as a temporary delivery format for your digital library and rely on keeping your files backed up. For those with no interest to learn this system, it seems like these modern times can be disastrous!

Agreed. It took me quite a while to come to grips with the fact that a ripped disk with backup was safer and more reliable than the optical disk source that the rip came from.

My aqualung blu-ray disc has failed... :(

Luckily I have a backup...

Agreed. It took me quite a while to come to grips with the fact that a ripped disk with backup was safer and more reliable than the optical disk source that the rip came from.

Hi there,

what's your recommendation regarding disc backups? Currently I have extracted all audio data of my BD/DVD/DVD-A to FLAC files - good enough?

Regards,

Andreas

I have considered opening my old Panasonic, but I believe the drive is encased. Maybe some compressed air through the opening might drive any free dust off the lens?

On a broader note, my 2009 Panasonic has a few problems with film blu-rays, and, with only one exception, they are all from Universal. BD-live is OFF, so it can't be that. The only non-Universal disc where a problem has arisen (after the film used to play on the Panasonic) is the UK Fox blu-ray of the original 'The Taking of Pelham 123', and that disc was reported as 'fussy' from the very beginning (see reports on the amazon.co.uk site for that blu-ray).

So, do I think the state/age of my Panasonic might be a factor? Probably. Still, the coincidences with the discs make me feel that the discs themselves are a factor, too. BTW, none of them show signs of degradation/rot (e.g. the browning reported on some Criterion discs).

I have considered opening my old Panasonic, but I believe the drive is encased. Maybe some compressed air through the opening might drive any free dust off the lens?

On a broader note, my 2009 Panasonic has a few problems with film blu-rays, and, with only one exception, they are all from Universal. BD-live is OFF, so it can't be that. The only non-Universal disc where a problem has arisen (after the film used to play on the Panasonic) is the UK Fox blu-ray of the original 'The Taking of Pelham 123', and that disc was reported as 'fussy' from the very beginning (see reports on the amazon.co.uk site for that blu-ray).

So, do I think the state/age of my Panasonic might be a factor? Probably. Still, the coincidences with the discs make me feel that the discs themselves are a factor, too. BTW, none of them show signs of degradation/rot (e.g. the browning reported on some Criterion discs).

I'm NOT trying to spend YOUR $$$$$, but my Oppo BDP~105 plays EVERYTHING without a glitch......even discs other players in my arsenal can't or won't play. I swear by OPPOs and they have a five star service department, as well, with a LIVE person manning the phone.

Back