Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you own an Oppo....contact them and tell them about the problem and ask them if you can send the disc to them to troubleshoot....they are very good about that...they will ask you if you have the latest firmware update...and they might ask if you are using the HDMI connection to play this blu ray...if you are attempting to play the blu ray thru analog outputs that could be an issue...the immersion set was released in Sept of 2011...earlier in that year the blu ray association implemented requirements(copy protection)that would stop blu rays from being played from analog sources...I know some people refused to update their older Oppos to retain some of the features that were eliminated by the firmware update...
I have an Oppo 103D,(latest firmware) I get a message unknown disc. My ASUS PC BD drive will not recognise the discs neither will either of the players in my living room SONY/SAMSUNG..

Both of my boxes were bought from Amazon, there is nothing fake about either.

I'm not saying they are.... but just because you purchased them from a legitimate dealer doesn't mean they can't be fake...amazon sold some fake mono box sets by the Beatles...they didn't know they were fake and either did the distributor...it happens on box sets...that's why some of these groups(like Pink Floyd)include accessories like marbles and clothing...it's harder for criminals to duplicate all those items...I know this because I purchased a set of the fake mono Beatles box set...they were almost perfect... but the color on the discs were a darker shade than the originals....the rumors were that they were made in the Phillipines....

I think the issues are with discs manufactured in Europe, mine was :flame:flame:nuke. I believe discs for other regions weren't manufactured in Europe, and since I started the thread it seems its the European manufactured ones most/all people have had fail. I bought another copy as well so I'm going to try it tomorrow, and if it still plays rip it - as stupidly I haven't. I do have the 5.1 SACD but I'd like the Quad mix as well.

Yes, I've got a NuForce modified OPPO, so no chances to use regular OPPO support (I tried already). But I'm one of those who treasure the last firmware version that can read ISOs, so I will never update this OPPO.
If anyone that can access to their support wants my disc, I will happily send it.
After having complained to PF management, the guys who authored and manufactured the bluray and Amazon, I gave up and recreated the full bluray by decrypting a Russian torrent file. Not that I like going to such extreme measures, but for once I felt entitled to do so

Before I 'retired' my Oppo Nuforce player, it refused to play multichannel SACDs [only stereo], this despite my inputting multichannel playback in its Main Menu!

Nuforce, I believe, has since been absorbed by Optoma which now specializes in the manufacture of video projectors.

:mad:Well my 2nd expensive Dark Side of the Moon box set Blu-ray has failed :nuke

It loads on my new Oppo 203, but any audio 2.0, 4.0, or 5.1 just skips with the odd click or bit of sound. My 2nd-hand Oppo 103 loads, plays a bit more audio but skips then sticks, and my PC Blu-ray RW says Insert A Disc!

What a load of *&^%$£@#!!!

This is definitely a manufacturing issue. I now need to find out who to shout at at the record company.

:mad:Well my 2nd expensive Dark Side of the Moon box set Blu-ray has failed :nuke

It loads on my new Oppo 203, but any audio 2.0, 4.0, or 5.1 just skips with the odd click or bit of sound. My 2nd-hand Oppo 103 loads, plays a bit more audio but skips then sticks, and my PC Blu-ray RW says Insert A Disc!

This is definitely a manufacturing issue. I now need to find out who to shout at at the record company.

I'm guessing that this was a European pressing...I have no idea if mine was a European pressing as I bought just the disc from someone on the forum....did you get a chance to make a copy?....if not I would bet that someone on here might lend you their disc so you could make a copy.....it would be easier if someone in the UK offered...BUT...if no one steps up I will be happy to send you mine for you to copy.....at least you aren't going to shoot someone.....just shout at them:)

Wow!!!!!

I'm guessing that this was a European pressing...I have no idea if mine was a European pressing as I bought just the disc from someone on the forum....did you get a chance to make a copy?....if not I would bet that someone on here might lend you their disc so you could make a copy.....it would be easier if someone in the UK offered...BUT...if no one steps up I will be happy to send you mine for you to copy.....at least you aren't going to shoot someone.....just shout at them:)
I can happily lend a copy to Duncan!

I checked my disc and it appears to be manufactured by Capitol in the US...I went back in the thread and read the posts....things like this scare me because I went thru Laser Rot with my Laser Disc collection....it destroyed a lot of Laser Discs...and I look around at all the discs I have and just imagine what would happen to all those discs if they started to go bad....geeze...I did noitice that there were problems with the Pink Floyd Early Years sets as well....the strange thing about the Dark Side title is that there were manufacturing issues on the early SACD's too...the Crest SACD's cracked...so perhaps this title is jinxed...as Neil Wilkes pointed out...the coating on the blu ray discs doesn't leave much margin for error...so if it's not done properly...this could happen...

I checked my disc and it appears to be manufactured by Capitol in the US...I went back in the thread and read the posts....things like this scare me because I went thru Laser Rot with my Laser Disc collection....it destroyed a lot of Laser Discs...and I look around at all the discs I have and just imagine what would happen to all those discs if they started to go bad....geeze...I did noitice that there were problems with the Pink Floyd Early Years sets as well....the strange thing about the Dark Side title is that there were manufacturing issues on the early SACD's too...the Crest SACD's cracked...so perhaps this title is jinxed...as Neil Wilkes pointed out...the coating on the blu ray discs doesn't leave much margin for error...so if it's not done properly...this could happen...
Both of my failed discs are manufactured by "OPTIMAL MEDIA PRODUCTION", probably in Germany.. There is no sign of disc rot, nor scratches, fingerprints or anything else, the discs look perfect..

Both of my failed discs are manufactured by "OPTIMAL MEDIA PRODUCTION", probably in Germany.. There is no sign of disc rot, nor scratches, fingerprints or anything else, the discs look perfect..
I sent a couple of emails to optical months ago, no reply from them.
There are several phone numbers on their site if anybody has got some spare time to call and complain...

I sent a couple of emails to optical months ago, no reply from them.
There are several phone numbers on their site if anybody has got some spare time to call and complain...
I tried, the phone numbers do not work..

It is almost impossible to find a way to communicate with EMI Records! But I found [email protected] so I sent them the following email,

Perhaps you can help, or pass this on to someone who can.

I bought a copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set not long after it was released, and last summer the Blu-ray disc failed to play or even be recognised by any of my equipment. Apart from being a big Floyd fan and wanting the Box Set, the main reason for getting it was for the Blu-ray as it had the 5.1 Surround & Quadraphonic mixes of the album.

So I put it down to bad luck and managed to track down and buy another new DSOTM Immersion Box Set and gave away the defunct one. I was happy as the disc played. So today I went to play the Blu-ray from this set and it is unplayable! Searching the web it seems that any DSOTM Blu-ray manufactured in Europe is prone to failure for no reason. It has to be down to poor manufacturing.

So having paid a small fortune on Immersion sets which fail I'm not very happy. Is it possible to send me a replacement Blu-ray disc that has not been manufactured in Europe?

On top of this I am now extremely concerned that my Wish You Were Here Immersion Box Set Blu-ray will fail, and possibly all the Blu-rays in the Mega-expensive Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set I bought.

I wonder if I'll get any response, I suspect not!

I hate to say this, but nothing will be done about this issue.

The Immersion sets were released by a (now) defunct record company (EMI) over 5 years ago, and since then, the Immersion sets have not been reissued by Pink Floyd and their new record labels. (Sony in the United States & Warner Music in Europe)

Now maybe Pink Floyd will reissue them some day, or maybe the extra content found in the sets will be reissued in another form (like in an "Early Years"-style box set)

Either way, if any of you have an unplayable "Dark Side of the Moon" Blu-Ray, I can provide you with some of the content in file form.

:)

I actually prefer the surround version of DSOM on PULSE. Not as good surround but you get to see Sam Brown.:mad:@::banana::smokin

I actually prefer the surround version of DSOM on PULSE. Not as good surround but you get to see Sam Brown.:mad:@::banana::smokin

Ironically, I was just digging through my treasure trove of......DVD's!!! I found Pulse. Heck, I may have to put that on and see what it sounds like....been years and years and years....

Back