Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm NOT trying to spend YOUR $$$$$, but my Oppo BDP~105 plays EVERYTHING without a glitch......even discs other players in my arsenal can't or won't play. I swear by OPPOs and they have a five star service department, as well, with a LIVE person manning the phone.

I honestly agree with Ralph. (4ear)

I used to have that Panasonic and I sometimes had troubles with accessing certain parts of discs, most notably, the hi-rez portion of DVD-Audios. Once I went OPPO, that all changed. :) Doesn't have to be the 105. Other models equally handle the various layers of discs.

My aqualung blu-ray disc has failed... :(

Luckily I have a backup...
My Aqualung blu-ray has stopped working recently in my Panasonic BD80 & Sony S380 - (no disc read warning)
It's being read by my Panasonic BD65 - though I can't play any SW remixed album from the beginning without freezing up. Choose a track and it plays fine. Quad is unaffected. All updated.

To those of you proposing the OPPO, many thanks for the tip. However, as I said in my first post, I got myself a Sony UHP-H1, and that really is a beast - it plays EVERY disc my Panasonic cannot play, and it also plays DVD-Audio and SACD (multi-channel via HDMI). True, it is a very new player, so we have no idea how it will be in the long run, but, for now, I am very happy with it, and, if music is your thing, about the only material it does not play is VHS and vinyl!

Hi there,

what's your recommendation regarding disc backups? Currently I have extracted all audio data of my BD/DVD/DVD-A to FLAC files - good enough?

Regards,

Andreas

Yes good enough, but don't forget you need an off-site backup for those files to be truly safe.

I run across plenty of 30 year old discs that are apparently error free too but I just know I probably have 100 or more coasters hiding in my collection at this point if I were to look.

I started buying CDs almost as soon as the format became available. I think it was in 2008 when I went crazy and sucked thousands of them into a server. The only thing that had become 100% unreadable was Monty Python's "The Final Rip Off", but it was from a UK plant with known issues. Other discs from the same plant had visibly bronzed, yet were perfectly readable (which of course doesn't mean they still are).

The one that drives me craziest to this day is the original Geffen issue of Peter Gabriel's "So". Though the resulting files have no audible problems at all, the perfect-looking disc has several tracks that just refused to read cleanly (according to AccurateRip) in any of several drives. Maybe I just have some weird Peter Gabriel curse since I also had problems with his two German-language albums, though I eventually got validated reads on both by using multiple drives.

My DSOTM Immersion BD disc won't play. First time I've used it for a couple of years, since I last ripped it. I went back to it last week to grab the video content and the disc fails. I have a copy of a 5.1 and Quad audio already so it's not 'lost' but interesting that this thread shows there's others with problem BD discs from this set.

Another reason to rip all my discs as soon as I receive them!

Tried to play my DSOTM BD this morning, got nothing Three players will not recognise the disc at all, I'm extremely unhappy about it. After the Bonus Continu/ation BD 1 non playing debacle the other day now I get this.....The Dark Side Immersion set is now practically valueless...F**K am I Pi**ed off...

After seeing all of these posts of people's "Dark Side of the Moon" discs failing, I tried to play mine in my bedroom's Blu-Ray player this morning (a Sony) and it did not work.
However, it still works in the Pioneer player I have in my living room (the one connected to my surround setup) plus I do have FLAC files made of the 5.1 and 4.0 mixes, so all is still well (for now…)

Anyone think it might be worth getting a collective message together and sending it to someone official on the Pink Floyd side? My thinking is that a single, well-worded message with many names at the bottom might have more chance of getting something done than the odd e-mail arriving now and again. At this point, the age and condition of our respective drives and players notwithstanding, it seems there are too many people reporting failure with this disc for the disc not to be a real part of the problem.

I tried mine yesterday and my PS3 first gen and my PC BD drive were able to read it. I have my immersion box set since it came out.
So just in case I made a ISO backup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there anything in common with the failed BDs? Place of manufacture, made?

notfer, you must have amazing eyes and/or glasses... . So, I looked at my disc - the following is printed around the inner ring of the information (non-label) side of the BD:

294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0
294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1

Mine is one of the failing/'fussy' discs. Interestingly, when I look at the information side of the BD, I can sometimes see the outline of the pattern on the label side.

I bought my box back in 2011 in a branch of 'Saturn' (an electronics/home media chain) in Germany.

notfer, you must have amazing eyes and/or glasses... . So, I looked at my disc - the following is printed around the inner ring of the information (non-label) side of the BD:

Mine is one of the failing/'fussy' discs. Interestingly, when I look at the information side of the BD, I can sometimes see the outline of the pattern on the label side.

I bought my box back in 2011 in a branch of 'Saturn' (an electronics/home media chain) in Germany.

Mine is also failing, and it has the same codes printed on it as yours. I bought it in a shop in Belgium. I asked in another forum too, where several people are now discovering to their horror that their disc has become unplayable...

I contacted amazon UK explaining the issue and was told to contact this address:

[email protected]

Would you also please write them too and share the information in other forums?

I don't have any backup so it's either listening to the DVD in dolby or nothing... help!

My dead bluray has got the same codes as you, optimal media production too.
Purchased in amazon.uk.
Just found manufacturer's contact:
[email protected]
Going to try this route as well.

I tried contacting them when I had my failure, no response, I doubt if anybody in the record co knows who Pink Floyd is anymore anyway, plus cynically perhaps I doubt they care. I ended up buying another box set! But they are now deleted so its finding overstocks.

I contacted amazon UK explaining the issue and was told to contact this address:

[email protected]

Would you also please write them too and share the information in other forums?

I don't have any backup so it's either listening to the DVD in dolby or nothing... help!

I tried contacting them when I had my failure, no response, I doubt if anybody in the record co knows who Pink Floyd is anymore anyway, plus cynically perhaps I doubt they care. I ended up buying another box set! But they are now deleted so its finding overstocks.
Did you try optimal productions too?

Back