Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are more details from my disc that works and has the following matrix numbers.
BVDL-196930A1 3
BVDL-196930B1 3

It is not clear, but it seems that these could have been made in North America. The sleeve says that it was printed in the USA. See attached pictures of the disc.

683de49a6c891d6f3c72cef67b270778.jpg
6c9283327b0d8916a5514724e4199ebb.jpg

Is anyone having problems with a disc with these characteristics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very disappointed to report that my blu-ray disc is now unreadable in three players - my standalone Sony and two blu-ray drives.

The cover is the same as the EMI one in the post above. The markings on the actual blu-ray are:
294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production LO
294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1

I don't like our chances but this must also fall under "fit for purpose" considerations.

notfer, you must have amazing eyes and/or glasses... . So, I looked at my disc - the following is printed around the inner ring of the information (non-label) side of the BD:

294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0

Mine is one of the failing/'fussy' discs. Interestingly, when I look at the information side of the BD, I can sometimes see the outline of the pattern on the label side.

Mine has the same info as above and currently plays fine. I have one BD player.

Well, at the moment, if there is a trend, it seems to be European pressings which are failing. If anyone gets any kind of positive response from any of those e-mail addresses, please let us know.

Has anyone had a response yet to any of their queries?

I am unluckey enough to have the optimal pressed discs !!!

Its a worry as it appears that Optimal pressed the blu rays in the new box !!!

Very disappointed to report that my blu-ray disc is now unreadable in three players - my standalone Sony and two blu-ray drives.

The cover is the same as the EMI one in the post above. The markings on the actual blu-ray are:
294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production LO

I don't like our chances but this must also fall under "fit for purpose" considerations.

Phew... Mine also has the same info as above and currently plays fine (for now...) on my OPPO-103. Bought it two years ago from Amazon UK.

Hello,

After spamming Virgin-EMI, Optimal Media, PF twitter and Facebook and trying with Warner I got the response below. I feel like they're referring to the replacement blurays for the Early Years boxset, but judge for yourselves. I replied already trying to get more exact information.

"Sorry to hear about this issue and the inconvenience caused. Replacement CDs are due from the manufacturer by Monday 28th , and will be despatched to customers as soon as they arrive. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

Jasmin
Your Warner Music Customer Service Team"

I know this is off topic, but could someone point me to a reliable source of information as to how to rip the 5.1/2.0 new mixes of Meddle from the new box set? I am not a computer wizz-kid, so, the fewer programs (and the more user friendly), the better. Many thanks.

I know this is off topic, but could someone point me to a reliable source of information as to how to rip the 5.1/2.0 new mixes of Meddle from the new box set? I am not a computer wizz-kid, so, the fewer programs (and the more user friendly), the better. Many thanks.

There's a thread here. It's difficult to generalize because what needs to be done depends to some extent on your hardware. Some people need fully-authored Blu-rays (or DVD-As or whatever) while others can just work with the bits the way they come off the disc.

No response yet from anyone else apart from Amazon with a very funny comment about exceeding the expected life span of a bluray. I angrily replied, next step would be filing a formal complaint. Let's see...

"I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty experienced with the The Dark Side Of The Moon (Immersion Boxset) received on 27 September 2011 from your order #202-1283041-0085134.

As you've had satisfactory use of this product for a period of time exceeding both the manufacturer's warranty period and the typical average life of this product, and since you purchased your product approximately 62 months ago and have used it successfully, please understand that we're unable to offer you a repair, a replacement or refund of the replacement value.

The manufacturer is often in a better position than the retailer to deal with technical problems affecting their products. Therefore, should you wish to pursue this matter further, we'd encourage you to contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide further assistance. They may offer a repair service or provide you with information on relevant charges for an out of warranty repair:

- Manufacturer: Virgin EMI
- Phone: +44 (0)20 7471 5000
- E-mail: [email protected]

For more information on your statutory rights, please contact your local Trading Standards Office.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,
Tim"

[FACE-PALM] Well, that just about takes the biscuit ... . So, there we have it - any blu-ray older than five years is officially Methuselah-like in nature.

No response yet from anyone else apart from Amazon with a very funny comment about exceeding the expected life span of a bluray. I angrily replied, next step would be filing a formal complaint. Let's see...

"I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty experienced with the The Dark Side Of The Moon (Immersion Boxset) received on 27 September 2011 from your order #202-1283041-0085134.

As you've had satisfactory use of this product for a period of time exceeding both the manufacturer's warranty period and the typical average life of this product, and since you purchased your product approximately 62 months ago and have used it successfully, please understand that we're unable to offer you a repair, a replacement or refund of the replacement value.

The manufacturer is often in a better position than the retailer to deal with technical problems affecting their products. Therefore, should you wish to pursue this matter further, we'd encourage you to contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide further assistance. They may offer a repair service or provide you with information on relevant charges for an out of warranty repair:

For more information on your statutory rights, please contact your local Trading Standards Office.

Warmest regards,
Tim"

I had originally ripped just the audio from my BD's. But after reading this thread I decided to get the box out and make a full back up with MakeMKV. I'll report the results along with matrix info.

UPDATE: My BD ripped without errors.

Center Hub info: BVDL-196930B1 3 A05 (in the darker colored ring)
Lighter colored ring around darker ring: BVDL-19690A1 3 A03

I'm assuming these are layer pressing stamper codes.

Warmest regards,
Tim"

haha.. in other words;
"you got a few years out of it, which is longer than the manufacturer or retailer bargained on"

I'll check my DSOTM BD-A in a minute.. fearing the worst, its been a while.. don't really feel like I've got my money's worth out of that Immersion set, I think I've only played the Audio/Visual contents a handful of times tbh and the scarf's no use in this wintery weather and all that viscose would play merry havoc with my lilly white flesh if I wore it for any prolonged kinda period.. :eek:

update: my BD-A from this set plays thru no problem (CA 651 BD).. its the European release btw. phew! :p

Last edited:
I will. And on optimal media too. Got nothing to lose but a coaster!

You should encourage anyone who is having this problem to email Virgin. Ideally Virgin will get bombarded with emails about this issue. Go to other forums are spread the news about the Virgin email address as a way to make your problem known. Steve Hoffman forums would be an excellent site to stir up support for this.

For reference, my disk, which is still good, has the following matrix on the inner rings:
BVDL-196930A1 3
BVDL-196930B1 3

I pre-ordered the box set from Amazon CA.

Same matrix on mine. Ripped back up without errors using MakeMKV. I did not test in my Oppo but I suspect would work fine.

Back