Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got now an external bluray burner and have been playing around with the blu-ray. I have tried to use several data recovery programs and same result with any of them: none!
It's like I was trying to read data from a piece of round cardboard, this disc fails completely to be read by the player.
Any idea of any other data recovery software I may use?

As I posted earlier my PF DSOTM BDA fails to read in on my PC (with MakeMKV).

I was doing a tutorial today and tried another BDA (Bob Marley Legend) and I also get the same error (unable to read...)

I have changed my BD drive recently. I am using a Pioneer BDR-209D. I wonder if its a drive problem as both these worked ok with my old Pioneer BDR-206...

Maybe people should also respond with the drive type (if known). Many BD Players will also use newer Pioneer drives. At least one reply here says an older BD player still plays DSOTM but newer does not... Just a thought...

As I posted earlier my PF DSOTM BDA fails to read in on my PC (with MakeMKV).

I was doing a tutorial today and tried another BDA (Bob Marley Legend) and I also get the same error (unable to read...)

I have changed my BD drive recently. I am using a Pioneer BDR-209D. I wonder if its a drive problem as both these worked ok with my old Pioneer BDR-206...

Maybe people should also respond with the drive type (if known). Many BD Players will also use newer Pioneer drives. At least one reply here says an older BD player still plays DSOTM but newer does not... Just a thought...
Neither my Oppo 93 nor a brand new LG external reader/writer can load the disc.
From my experience, it looks like a full failure on the disc and nothing to do with the reader unit

Neither my Oppo 93 nor a brand new LG external reader/writer can load the disc.
From my experience, it looks like a full failure on the disc and nothing to do with the reader unit

OK.

BUT with my Bob Marley disc also failing this looks like the beginning of BD ROT !!! WARNING, WARNING

My Floyd BD with the failing matrix number plays fine on a Pioneer player which was bought about 15 months ago but was end of line model.

Last edited:
Which version of 'Legends' by Bob Marley? The earlier, stereo-only one or the later one with a 5.1 mix?

BTW, I also have trouble with the 'Quadrophenia' blu-ray pure audio. It used to play on my Panasonic BDP-60 (2009); now it will only play on my Sony UHP-H1 (2016), the "poor man's Oppo".

As I wrote before, I also have a few fussy film blu-rays, but the only ones (so far ...) which have really become a problem are all music blu-rays. This is a long shot, I know, but does anyone know if music blu-rays can be/are produced to a different spec.?

I checked my Bob Marley Legend 5.1 BD and there are a few little black "mould"-type circles around the outer edge. From Googling "disc rot" (I didn't even know it was a thing), this appears to be the start of it. BD still plays fine though on the trusty ol' Sony. For now.

Does anyone have an e-mail address to contact for a replacement? Ima kick up a stink.

Quality control just ain't what it used to be. Lucky these clowns ain't building bridges.

Had to be the version of 'Legends' I have ... . Played mine yesterday on my Sony UHP-H1: All good (still ...).

Alright, it's time to put my cards down on the table - I think Universal has/had a problem with Blu-ray production: My 'Quadrophenia' disc is problematic; it's from Universal. 'Legends' is from Universal. The only film disc I had that gave up the ghost? 'Jurassic Park III' ... Universal. The others films which I sometimes have problems loading: The other 'Jurassic Park' films and the 'Bourne' series - Universal. The one and only DVD (so far ...) which has died on me? The 1998 release of John Carpenter's 'The Thing' ... from Universal.

Of course, this doesn't count for the DSotM disc. Still, that's too many cases for me to think it is just bad luck. Just wanted to put it out there.

BTW - the two of you reporting problems with the 'Legends' disc are geographically close (Australia and New Zealand). Coincidence?

Now I'm paranoid. Playing mine now with no issues EXCEPT my player won't read the quad mix, which it never has for some reason. I'd like to play the 4.0 after seeing many good reviews of this mix, but I just get silence, no error message or anything. My player is a Yamaha BD-A1010, about 4 years old. My Immersion set was purchased in Jan. 2012, and I think was the first BDA in my collection. Discs made in Mexico.

Try any other player/drive you can get your hands on. This is one tricky, fussy disc - stopped playing on my Panasonic completely; I could play the audio but none of the videos on a Samsung; plays fine on my Sony.

Weird - so far, I had the feeling the European discs were the ones with the problems.

Now I'm paranoid. Playing mine now with no issues EXCEPT my player won't read the quad mix, which it never has for some reason. I'd like to play the 4.0 after seeing many good reviews of this mix, but I just get silence, no error message or anything. My player is a Yamaha BD-A1010, about 4 years old. My Immersion set was purchased in Jan. 2012, and I think was the first BDA in my collection. Discs made in Mexico.

Had to be the version of 'Legends' I have ... . Played mine yesterday on my Sony UHP-H1: All good (still ...).

Alright, it's time to put my cards down on the table - I think Universal has/had a problem with Blu-ray production: My 'Quadrophenia' disc is problematic; it's from Universal. 'Legends' is from Universal. The only film disc I had that gave up the ghost? 'Jurassic Park III' ... Universal. The others films which I sometimes have problems loading: The other 'Jurassic Park' films and the 'Bourne' series - Universal. The one and only DVD (so far ...) which has died on me? The 1998 release of John Carpenter's 'The Thing' ... from Universal.

Of course, this doesn't count for the DSotM disc. Still, that's too many cases for me to think it is just bad luck. Just wanted to put it out there.

BTW - the two of you reporting problems with the 'Legends' disc are geographically close (Australia and New Zealand). Coincidence?

That's some good detective work there, Strawdog. Sounds like Universal may have a problem.

Regarding the Bob Marley Legends 5.1 BD, mine was ordered from overseas (can't remember where; maybe Amazon UK?) and the disc was manufactured in the EU.

My Quadrophenia works fine, only DSOTM is failing here. I've made an iso backup of all of them just in case

If I am right, that would be horribly ironic - Universal, who basically created 'Blu-ray Pure Audio', has problems manufacturing blu-rays :mad:.

I really hope my Bob Marley doesn't die on me - that is simply the most divine, most sublime 5.1 mix.

That's some good detective work there, Strawdog. Sounds like Universal may have a problem.

Regarding the Bob Marley Legends 5.1 BD, mine was ordered from overseas (can't remember where; maybe Amazon UK?) and the disc was manufactured in the EU.

So ... I've just spent the morning listening to both surround mixes of DSotM on the blu-ray. The Sony UHP-H1 plays it like nothing was ever a problem, my Panasonic still cannot even get to the menu (and I know it played it without difficulty back in 2011).

This is what I don't get - I used to collect laserdiscs; I lost a few to disc rot - and it was always obvious (both in terms of how the disc looked, and how both picture and sound were adversely affected during playback). Whatever is happening to this (and sadly other) music blu-rays is, IMHO, something different. As a non-expert, it makes no sense to talk of disc rot if I can play it back flawlessly on a certain player (to go back to the laserdiscs - it didn't matter what player you put them in, a rotted disc was always problematic during playback).

I would like to literally put the DSotM disc under a microscope and see what is going on.

Merry Xmas everyone.

So ... I've just spent the morning listening to both surround mixes of DSotM on the blu-ray. The Sony UHP-H1 plays it like nothing was ever a problem, my Panasonic still cannot even get to the menu (and I know it played it without difficulty back in 2011).

This is what I don't get - I used to collect laserdiscs; I lost a few to disc rot - and it was always obvious (both in terms of how the disc looked, and how both picture and sound were adversely affected during playback). Whatever is happening to this (and sadly other) music blu-rays is, IMHO, something different. As a non-expert, it makes no sense to talk of disc rot if I can play it back flawlessly on a certain player (to go back to the laserdiscs - it didn't matter what player you put them in, a rotted disc was always problematic during playback).

I would like to literally put the DSotM disc under a microscope and see what is going on.

Merry Xmas everyone.

If you ask me it sounds more like some kind of firmware issue and not disc rot - like you say a rotted disc won't work at all. The big problem with blu-ray is that it really has no set standards when it comes to authoring a disc, and then you can have java issues and then the different copy protection methods in place from different studios. As players are updated via firmware (or by just being new in general) to fit with how discs are authored in 2016 it can make those authored in say 2009 now unplayable. I know there have been reports on blu-rays forums about this kind of issue over the last few years.

I have considered that - I'm 99% sure that is not the case. Between my Panasonic playing the disc in 2011 and not playing it in 2016, I did not update the firmware (since then , I have done so - it made no difference).

This thread has pretty much been through the obvious options (e.g. dirty reading heads) - nothing seems consistent except the fact that the DSotM disc is a troublesome one.

My last thought is that somehow the continual use of a blu-ray player can eventually have some detrimental effect on the reading head (I believe I am right in saying that); for wont of a better phrase, it slowly begins to 'wear out'. My Panasonic was barely 18 months old in 2011; given the fact that, back then, my collection was still mainly CDs/DVDs, and I use different devices to play those, it had seen relatively little usage. Fast forward to 2016, and that is a different story. Along comes my Sony UHP-H1, with a brand new reading head (and, in all likelihood, a higher quality one), and, voilà, the disc is playable again.

It's definitely not a firmware issue. I've never updated my Oppo and the disc fails to load in a brand new LG bluray burner. I've tried all the hacks I know and the error is on the disc itself

Back