Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worry is that one of my BDA failures is from a relatively recent release: Bob Marley Legend from 2015 (not that old at all).

All my MCH audio discs and BDV's are now backed up.

I'm getting the impression from all that I've read on this forum that BDAs are the most susceptible to failure. For that reason, my multichannel music BDAs were the FIRST things I ripped, followed by feature movies. I just recently circled back to rip concert and documentary BDAs. Only one - a movie, "The Help" - was unplayable.

I also have a couple of CD singles from 1993 that look my windshield after a frost.

Does not disc rot create better future sales for a dying industry :popcorn

Well, here's an evidence of the whole thing. Yesterday, as soon as I read this thread I went to check some discs in my collection and yes I found that the CD/DVD-A set of Out of Time from REM, both discs, had the peculiar horrible marks!...... But today, in some kind of panic, I tried to clean them using a microfiber wet rag and bingo! The "thing" went away!! They play flawless!

But here's not a victory as the right question is: how this marks got there?! I never use any kind of liquid to clean my discs. I only use a dry microfiber rag and sometimes wet. Almost all of my cd's are in a resealeable plastic and without sunlight or any kind of humidity or dust affecting them directly. At least this is the case with this REM set. Another strange thing is that I have two more CD/DVD sets from REM (Up and Automatic for the People) and they don't show any mark or stain. The three sets are the Made in EU - Warner Bros. versions.
:confused:

Attachments

• 16427392_10155039797098809_2087150549450977345_n.jpg
    16427392_10155039797098809_2087150549450977345_n.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 16473340_10155039796313809_5582150486179914380_n.jpg
    16473340_10155039796313809_5582150486179914380_n.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 442
Well, here's an evidence of the whole thing. Yesterday, as soon as I read this thread I went to check some discs in my collection and yes I found that the CD/DVD-A set of Out of Time from REM, both discs, had the peculiar horrible marks!...... But today, in some kind of panic, I tried to clean them using a microfiber wet rag and bingo! The "thing" went away!! They play flawless!

But here's not a victory as the right question is: how this marks got there?! I never use any kind of liquid to clean my discs. I only use a dry microfiber rag and sometimes wet. Almost all of my cd's are in a resealeable plastic and without sunlight or any kind of humidity or dust affecting them directly. At least this is the case with this REM set. Another strange thing is that I have two more CD/DVD sets from REM (Up and Automatic for the People) and they don't show any mark or stain. The three sets are the Made in EU - Warner Bros. versions.
:confused:

Thanks Barbazul for posting this.

I just checked my REM Out of Time DVD-A and it had the same marks. I gave it a quick saliva-dampened t-shirt wipe and the marks have gone. I store mine in a slim CD case in a darkened cabinet. I've only purchased it in the past 3 months. Weird. Plays fine though.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen this on other recent purchases but the discs play fine so I left them alone.

After reading all of this, I used MakeMKV to backup my DSOTM Blu-Ray. No errors. Whew.

What the hell, I'll back up the Wish You Were Here Immersion Blu-Ray. During the process, this was returned:

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Hash check failed for file 00007.m2ts at offset 5205387264, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00007.m2ts at offset 5205583872, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00007.m2ts at offset 5205780480, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00007.m2ts at offset 5205977088, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00007.m2ts at offset 5206173696, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file 00007.m2ts.

it's continuing, and I'll try to redo the backup after examining/cleaning the disk. But is this a sign of "laser rot"?

I had a theory that the Pink Floyd BluRays were damaged by a possible contamination from some of the foam packaging in the box. Because several people had the same experience. This R.E.M. Disc seems to be a different issue than the Pink Floyd BluRays as they simply stopped working. I'm convinced it's some form of contamination, plastics are oil based, I'm an engineer and worked with plastics over the years.
It's just a theory guys.
I own the Pink Floyd BluRays & The mega box early years, so far no issues with my Immersion discs. I did put them in plastic inserts the day it arrived

I had a theory that the Pink Floyd BluRays were damaged by a possible contamination from some of the foam packaging in the box. Because several people had the same experience. This R.E.M. Disc seems to be a different issue than the Pink Floyd BluRays as they simply stopped working. I'm convinced it's some form of contamination, plastics are oil based, I'm an engineer and worked with plastics over the years.
It's just a theory guys.
I own the Pink Floyd BluRays & The mega box early years, so far no issues with my Immersion discs. I did put them in plastic inserts the day it arrived

I also put my Floyd Immersion sets in slimline jewel cases shortly after I received them. Mine play fine, with the exception of my player not being able to read the quad mixes, which was the case from the start. Any sets I buy that have the discs in hard-to-remove paper sleeves immediately go into jewel cases. I don't know why the industry does this, especially for mega-dollar deluxe sets. It's almost impossible to remove some of these without having to grab the disc by it's edge and putting fingerprints on it. I seldom have to clean my discs because I'm anally careful in handling them. As for Barbazul's REM disc pictured above, it looks to me like condensation. My set shows nothing like that (although I just got it a week ago). Could the plastic sleeves be the culprit if they are air tight? Just my two cents worth.

I've got no issues that I can see with the Out of Time DVD-A. I keep it in the digi pack it came in.

There have been failures in my collection, we discussed this previously. I lost my Love dvd a only the lossless portion of it. Then I lost my Morph the kat, so my tenant is a computer whiz kid, and he told me this stuff is susceptible to failure! Disc-memory, memory sticks, all will eventually fail. The part that sucks is most is OOP, but TG I see you can still download some. But how many times you gotta buy the thing? The DS was in a set-and hard to come by. Looks like vinyl is and will remain the king! It will stay good years if cared for!

It's just a theory guys.

It's not the packaging. Whenever I get a box set or other CD / DVD package that doesn't keep the discs in jewel cases or similar, I remove the discs as soon as I get it and store them in Case Logic sleeves in binders. I bought the DSOTM set on release and removed the discs from the package as soon as I received it; my DSOTM BD is completely unplayable now. The WYWH BD which I bought a couple of months later is still fine.

I've emailed various people about this - the only one to reply so far are the Brain Damage website, who say that they have raised the issue with Floyd's management. I'm not optimistic, as I've had nothing but silence since...

It's not the packaging. Whenever I get a box set or other CD / DVD package that doesn't keep the discs in jewel cases or similar, I remove the discs as soon as I get it and store them in Case Logic sleeves in binders. I bought the DSOTM set on release and removed the discs from the package as soon as I received it; my DSOTM BD is completely unplayable now.

Whereas I've kept mine in the packaging and so far it's fine which also seems to back up your thoughts.

Whereas I've kept mine in the packaging and so far it's fine which also seems to back up your thoughts.

Yes - and I know it's not the Case Logic sleeves, as I put the WYWH BD into one of them a couple of months later, and it still plays fine (or at least it did a couple of weeks ago...)

It's not the packaging. Whenever I get a box set or other CD / DVD package that doesn't keep the discs in jewel cases or similar, I remove the discs as soon as I get it and store them in Case Logic sleeves in binders. I bought the DSOTM set on release and removed the discs from the package as soon as I received it; my DSOTM BD is completely unplayable now. The WYWH BD which I bought a couple of months later is still fine.

I've emailed various people about this - the only one to reply so far are the Brain Damage website, who say that they have raised the issue with Floyd's management. I'm not optimistic, as I've had nothing but silence since...

Thanks for your response to this. The plot thickens.

I am about to take receipt of a Optical Disc polishing/repair machine. I decided to invest in one to fix my scratched discs and make a small business as well. I will charge AU$5.00 per disc to repair.
If anyone wants to experiment in getting their faulty Pink Floyd BluRay polished i'll do it for free for the first few members, just postage costs apply.

If I give the surface of the faulty BluRay disc a light polish 'could' it fix the problem?

I also have 100s of Chinese DVD movies I got while working in China that used to play fine and no longer play at all. So I have a lot of discs to experiment with.

Hopefully we can once and for all find out why these faults are occurring.

I am about to take receipt of a Optical Disc polishing/repair machine. I decided to invest in one to fix my scratched discs and make a small business as well. I will charge AU$5.00 per disc to repair.
If anyone wants to experiment in getting their faulty Pink Floyd BluRay polished i'll do it for free for the first few members, just postage costs apply.

If I give the surface of the faulty BluRay disc a light polish 'could' it fix the problem?

Very unlikely indeed; I've never seen an ageing effect which affects the playing surface of a disc. It is far more likely that something has gone wrong with one of the chemicals used to internally bond the layers of the disc together and the disc is delaminating internally, or something is attacking the reflective layer. There's not likely to be anything anyone can do at home that will repair the unplayable discs.

Very unlikely indeed; I've never seen an ageing effect which affects the playing surface of a disc. It is far more likely that something has gone wrong with one of the chemicals used to internally bond the layers of the disc together and the disc is delaminating internally, or something is attacking the reflective layer. There's not likely to be anything anyone can do at home that will repair the unplayable discs.

Totally understand what your saying.

I just want to eliminate all possibilities, it's the engineer in me :D

I exchanged email with Paul Loasby, David Gilmour's manager, a few years ago, and I still have both his email and postal addresses as a result. If I continue to hear nothing from the record companies or via Brain Damage, contacting him directly about this is my last resort. The total lack of response from any of the companies involved is disgraceful, IMO - this is clearly a manufacturing problem with a very expensive product, and there is no excuse for not sorting it out.

update: the backup succeeded on the second try.

Maybe it's time to invest in an external drive and start backing things up.

Update - I backed up all of my surround blu-rays. Took about a week to back them onto a 2 TB USB drive. We have a cloud backup service at home, it'll take almost a month to back them all up to that.

Back