Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article is a good overview of the problem, and mentions a culprit that I have suspected: humidity. If you live in a humid climate, you might consider a dehumidifier in your storage area to help delay the onset of problems.

I live in a very dry climate, and played my DSOTM tonight in a BDA-95 with no issues.
You can discard humidity as the root cause, I live in Madrid and it's almost a miracle each time we see any rain. And my DSOTM continues being dead.
I'd discard any issues with the polishing of the disc surface as mine is pristine :(
Someone suggested contacting Mr Loasby directly, I'd support that!

Out of curiosity (and they say it killed the cat!) I went and looked to see what my internet provider (BT over here in the UK) would charge for 2TB of cloud storage, it was £36 per month, so £432 per year. Which is about how much it cost me for my Synology Dual 4TB RAID NAS!

Update - I backed up all of my surround blu-rays. Took about a week to back them onto a 2 TB USB drive. We have a cloud backup service at home, it'll take almost a month to back them all up to that.

Out of curiosity (and they say it killed the cat!) I went and looked to see what my internet provider (BT over here in the UK) would charge for 2TB of cloud storage, it was £36 per month, so £432 per year. Which is about how much it cost me for my Synology Dual 4TB RAID NAS!

I'm using CrashPlan. Don't know what their cost is in your area. It's $149 US per year for a family plan, $59 US per year for an individual plan.

That's about £120 per year for the family option. I don't know if they offer the same price structure to non-US customers.

Update - I backed up all of my surround blu-rays. Took about a week to back them onto a 2 TB USB drive. We have a cloud backup service at home, it'll take almost a month to back them all up to that.

I greatly admire your dedication to doing that!
I spent years backing up my CD collection using EAC to FLAC

You can discard humidity as the root cause, I live in Madrid and it's almost a miracle each time we see any rain. And my DSOTM continues being dead.
I'd discard any issues with the polishing of the disc surface as mine is pristine :(

I'm at the point to agreeing the discs themselves are the issue. I professionally polished several of my dead Chinese DVDs and it DID NOT fix them at all!

I have 100s that used to play fine. Luckily I paid $1 each, makes me wonder if the official DVDs/ BluRays will also die in time?

again, I have lost two discs so far. My tenant who is a computer nerd type, and does repairs for a living, told me none of the computer based file storage is safe, and all is subject to failure over time. I did see an article that stated cheaper made discs will fail - conditions of storage has nothing to do with it. Weather or any other condition will not affect it. There is something to be said here about LP's, that some are very old, and if cared for will be here longer than my BD of DSOTM. Pisses me off to no end-you piss away good cash on these things only to have it just fail!:violin

again, I have lost two discs so far. My tenant who is a computer nerd type, and does repairs for a living, told me none of the computer based file storage is safe, and all is subject to failure over time. I did see an article that stated cheaper made discs will fail - conditions of storage has nothing to do with it. Weather or any other condition will not affect it. There is something to be said here about LP's, that some are very old, and if cared for will be here longer than my BD of DSOTM. Pisses me off to no end-you piss away good cash on these things only to have it just fail!:violin

Which begs the question: Is ANYTHING archival in this disposable age?

Some of my older discs (take your pick: DVD~A, SACD, DualDisc etc] which display a milky~like appearance washed in a circular motion with warm (even hot) water with a Clean sponge with DAWN Platinum detergent on it and wiped dry with a clean dry cotton dish towel will eradicate the milkiness on many occasions. Hey, what do you have to lose? They play fine after the process.

Well, I bought my Immersion box in 2011, and the Blu Ray has played perfectly until today. Disc not recognised by a Sony surround system that has played it numerous times, my Oppo BD103D that I tested it on a few weeks ago, or the LG BD drive on my PC. Fortunately, I have ripped all of the surround and hi res stereo mixes of all of my Blu Rays and DVD Audios to FLAC files and have multiple backups. Even more fortunately, I ripped my SACDs using the Oppo a few weeks ago and have backed up the ISOs.

Overall, I have had very few discs of any type fail over the years. It wasn't the packaging, either, as I keep my WYWH and DSOTM Blu Rays in a jewel case so I don't have to keep handling the box.

Well, I bought my Immersion box in 2011, and the Blu Ray has played perfectly until today. Disc not recognised by a Sony surround system that has played it numerous times, my Oppo BD103D that I tested it on a few weeks ago, or the LG BD drive on my PC. Fortunately, I have ripped all of the surround and hi res stereo mixes of all of my Blu Rays and DVD Audios to FLAC files and have multiple backups. Even more fortunately, I ripped my SACDs using the Oppo a few weeks ago and have backed up the ISOs.

Overall, I have had very few discs of any type fail over the years. It wasn't the packaging, either, as I keep my WYWH and DSOTM Blu Rays in a jewel case so I don't have to keep handling the box.

That sucks!

Which begs the question: Is ANYTHING archival in this disposable age?

Some of my older discs (take your pick: DVD~A, SACD, DualDisc etc] which display a milky~like appearance washed in a circular motion with warm (even hot) water with a Clean sponge with DAWN Platinum detergent on it and wiped dry with a clean dry cotton dish towel will eradicate the milkiness on many occasions. Hey, what do you have to lose? They play fine after the process.

gonna try on my Morph dvd a that won't play anymore

Things are looking up. I backed up the stereo, quad and 5.1 mixes from my Immersion boxes when I bought them as 96K / 24 bit FLAC files. Having bought a Blu Ray writer today, I have now burned 5.1 and quad PCM stereo Blu Rays which play on my surround system perfectly to replace the failed DSOTM BD. I have also now made a BD from the Meddle 5.1 mix buried in the Early Years box. My current surround rig won't play DVD-A, but having ripped my handful of DVD-As as FLAC files as well, I envisage a busy weekend burning BD-R discs from the rips. The neighbours may well be displeased...

How about this for a stuff up , has anyone noticed the channel mapping on the Darkside of the Moon Bluray is wrong? i noticed it on the song Money at the very beginning when the first coin drops have a listen to the Bluray and remember on which channel the Coin drops and do the same with the normal audio cd or sacd and you will notice that the coin drop is on a different channel , it may not be as bad on music but would not want that to happen on a Movie.:mad:@:

How about this for a stuff up , has anyone noticed the channel mapping on the Darkside of the Moon Bluray is wrong? i noticed it on the song Money at the very beginning when the first coin drops have a listen to the Bluray and remember on which channel the Coin drops and do the same with the normal audio cd or sacd and you will notice that the coin drop is on a different channel...
For which mix: the stereo, quad, or 5.1? I wouldn't expect the quad to match the stereo, but I would expect the stereo to be correct and for the 5.1 to be consistent between the SACD and Blu-ray.

How about this for a stuff up , has anyone noticed the channel mapping on the Darkside of the Moon Bluray is wrong? i noticed it on the song Money at the very beginning when the first coin drops have a listen to the Bluray and remember on which channel the Coin drops and do the same with the normal audio cd or sacd and you will notice that the coin drop is on a different channel , it may not be as bad on music but would not want that to happen on a Movie.:mad:@:

The production mix, is different in the 5.1 and quad mix. which are you speaking of?

For which mix: the stereo, quad, or 5.1? I wouldn't expect the quad to match the stereo, but I would expect the stereo to be correct and for the 5.1 to be consistent between the SACD and Blu-ray.

I will double check that for you , for memory i noticed it in the 2 channel and retested it in 5.1 and it was the same but i will check it tonight

Hi Just double checked it , sorry for the wrong information as the left and right channels are correct and identical to the sacd , what lead me to bellive it was wrong was the fact that on the bluray when you select track 6 the song has allready started by about 2 seconds which means i was listening to the 2 coin drop and assumed it was the first one.So where the manufacterer divided up the trax they went into track 6 a bit to far.
But what i did discover is that in surround mode on the bluray i hove no right rear channel.

The production mix, is different in the 5.1 and quad mix. which are you speaking of?

Hi Just double checked it , sorry for the wrong information as the left and right channels are correct and identical to the sacd , what lead me to bellive it was wrong was the fact that on the bluray when you select track 6 the song has allready started by about 2 seconds which means i was listening to the 2 coin drop and assumed it was the first one.So where the manufacterer divided up the trax they went into track 6 a bit to far.
But what i did discover is that in surround mode on the bluray i hove no right rear channel.

This production is meant to listen as an album, not in the different songs, radio will break it up, and it sucks, taken out of context. Plus, No RR? running your amp like that, I bet you have damaged it by running an open line with no terminal. It is a very small electric signal, and will burn out filters and other components in the circuit if not properly used.

Back