Santana Lotus - Stereo SACD from Audio Fidelity (Dec 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit off topic: is there a thread that lists the cds that would benefit from being played through this device?

CDs that are said to be QS/SQ (etc) matrix encoded that the Surround Master decodes into Quad, or CDs that are regular Stereo but may just happen to have out of phase stuff etc that tends to produce a surround effect with the Surround Master in Involve mode?

From a post by rjstauber on sh.tv:

Just got the e-mail from AF that this is being delayed (put on hold).

"Circumstances beyond our control have put Santana, "Lotus" release on hold. We are especially disappointed that we won't be shipping this very special 2-disc music collection at this time. Currently there is no firm release date but we will keep you aware of any updates.

Thank you for your understanding...

Marshall Blonstein"

Let the speculation as to the 'circumstances' begin!

Here's the official email from Marshall:

Lotus Message.jpg

A delay is not at all surprising really, but it is shocking that no further date has been set.

Not shocking - delays and release date changes happen all the time with reissues.

As a total guess, I would think that you have to take the time of year and the fact that it's a double disc release into consideration when you're thinking about reasons for a delay. There is not much AF can do if the supplier/manufacturer gets behind in production when there are so few SACD manufacturers out there.

I am listening now to the new release by AF of Lotus. Original liner notes and pics, stereo Hybrid SACD, not very happy. Mastered by Hoffman and Marsh at Marsh Mastering. No notes anywhere as to source. Sonics are big in sound, stage is not that wide, midrange is great, bass is weak, treble a touch to much. If you own the original RBCD that would be good enough. In fact you can look for yourself but the DR scale is the same.
Well, I am a avid supporter of AF but this is a bust. Not because of the release, just because the RBCD is just as good.
I am listening at 70.5db, signal is 2.0 DSD.

I am listening now to the new release by AF of Lotus. Original liner notes and pics, stereo Hybrid SACD, not very happy. Mastered by Hoffman and Marsh at Marsh Mastering. No notes anywhere as to source. Sonics are big in sound, stage is not that wide, midrange is great, bass is weak, treble a touch to much. If you own the original RBCD that would be good enough. In fact you can look for yourself but the DR scale is the same.
Well, I am a avid supporter of AF but this is a bust. Not because of the release, just because the RBCD is just as good.

Though I am in principle a big supporter of AF, I'm finding most of their releases in the last couple of years do not bowl me over.
Can't decide if that's due to mastering, album choice or my ears

UGH - glad I didn't bite on this one. I would be severely disappointed with that sort of sound.

Back