Santana Lotus - Stereo SACD from Audio Fidelity (Dec 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexDave222

On Amazon, Audio Fidelity has SACD Santana "Lotus" coming in October.
As far as being a quad , there is supposed to be quad mixes, not sure yet.
This should be amazing sound!

No detailed infos, except the link... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L929Y7M/
See below, Lotus info.

Quadraphonic Discography "Popular Recordings - Complete List" »
Santana: quad mixes
SANTANA -
Abraxas. Columbia PCQ-30130 (SQ), CAQ-30130 (Q8), Sony
SOPN-44004 (SQ) [Japan], CBS Q-64087 (SQ) [UK], Suzy
CBS-Q-64087 (SQ) red vinyl [Yugoslavia], CBS/Sony KJPL-0016 (SQ)
[Korea], CBS Q 64087 (SQ) [Spain]
Amigos. Columbia PCQ-33576 (SQ), CBS SQ 86005 (SQ) [Israel]
* BBC Rock Hour Paris Theater '77, show #31 & 32 (SQR) two 7-1/2ips 2-track
Reel to Reels [UK]
Black magic woman B/W Everybody's Everything. Epic CBS SONY
SOPA-29 (SQ45) [Japan]
Borboletta. Columbia PCQ-33135 (SQ), CAQ-33135 (DQ8),
CBS Q-69084 (SQ) [Israel & Holland], CBS PCQ-33135 (SQ) [UK]
Caravanserai. Columbia PCQ-31610 (SQ), CAQ-31610 (Q8),
CBS Q-65299 (SQ) [UK], CBS/Sony SOPN-38 (SQ) [Japan]
Festival. Columbia PCQ-34423 (SQ), CAQ-34423 (DQ8)
Greatest Hits. Columbia PCQ-33050 (SQ), CAQ-33050 (DQ8), CBS
Q-69081 (SQ) [Netherlands & England]
Grande Exitos (Greatest Hits). CBS Q 69081 (SQ) [Spain]
***Lotus [3 LP] CBS SONY SOPZ 7,8,9 (Later 63AP 821-3) (SQ) [Japan]
Santana (1st Album). Columbia PCQ-32964 (SQ), CAQ-32964 (DQ8), CBS
CQ-32964 (SQ) [UK]
Santana (3rd Album). Columbia PCQ-30595 (SQ), CAQ-30595 (DQ8),
CBS Q-69015 (SQ) [UK], CBS/Sony SOPN-18 [Later SOPN-88] (SQ) [Japan]
Santana "Welcome". Columbia 7Q-32445 (SQEP)
{Includes-Yours is the Light; Samba de Sausalito; Love Devotion and Surrender;
Light of Life}
Stereo Pop Special 139 '77 - Pop Spectacular. Record CN 2725/SQ (SQ)
Welcome. Columbia PCQ-32445 (SQ), CAQ-32445 (DQ8), CBS Q-69040
(SQ) [UK]

Need a sticky to place on my thread. I'm new here, first post.

I found the link earlier today, but I elected not to say anything about it on here after what happened with "Tale Spinnin" and "Musicmagic".

Welcome to QQ TexDave, great first post!

rt, are you really hijacking this guy's thread to brag that you found it first AND commiserate that the last thread didn't go the way you wanted it to? You don't have to single-handedly be the source of every bit of information that shows up on QQ.

ETA: this could be a real winner if it does have the quad mix included, given that it was only ever released on matrix encoded vinyl, but obviously no one's getting their hopes up right now. Except maybe for fredblue...haha.

rt, are you really hijacking this guy's thread to brag that you found it first AND commiserate that the last thread didn't go the way you wanted it to? You don't have to single-handedly be the source of every bit of information that shows up on QQ.

ETA: this could be a real winner if it does have the quad mix included, given that it was only ever released on matrix encoded vinyl, but obviously no one's getting their hopes up right now. Except maybe for fredblue...haha.

Not trying to brag or bring the thread down, and I'm actually a little bit insulted that you would insinuate that.
Even if it looks that way, I promise that was not my intention.

I just decided that after what happened with "Tale Spinnin" and "Musicmagic" I would not jump to post about new AF releases here on QQ unless there was absolute certainty that they were Multichannel releases.

Of course I encourage anyone to seek out information on potential new surround releases, and if nothing's been said about it, go ahead and share it. I just will be more selective in the future so as not to get people's hopes up without firm information.

Thank you and goodnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was common knowledge by now:
"Lotus" has never been released in Stereo....all the copies , be them LP, cassette, Q8, CD and now, SACD....

ARE ALL SQ ENCODED!!!

(This has been a public service announcement from a fellow QQuad head)

Kap'n is right, all versions of this album are SQ encoded, but there was no Q8 of this released anywhere.

There were a bunch of these Japan-only SQ live releases that I think were all single-inventory SQ which makes me wonder if the guy mixing them mixed straight to an SQ encoder, rather than creating a 4-channel master and then deriving an SQ encoded stereo master from that. Some of the ones I'm thinking of include:

Andy Williams - An Evening With (2LP)
Percy Faith - In Concert
Kimiko Kasai - In Person
Brothers Four - Live In Japan
Michel Legrand - Live In Japan

It seems like the majority of live albums done by CBS/Sony Japan in the '73/'74 era were SQ encoded, which I guess is why the Beck Bogert & Appice live in Japan album is often mistakenly cited as being quad.

That would be a major let-down if there's no discrete 4-channel master :(
SQ on SACD...... Great. [/sarcasm]

I'm not going to ask about quad layer. "I'm not ready for that final disappointment".

This would need to be a double disc set if it was stereo / quad.

ah you cheeky bar steward..!! ;)
you know I loves ya really :D
..no hopes up (for once!) and I actually think Ryan's take on it was rational and he made the right judgement call, so "ner!" :p

re Texas Dave, not knocking it but to me it is a curious thing, sign up in 2009 and submit 1st post in 2016.. he coulda done like a gazillion posts by now.. hehe :eek:

Kap'n is right, all versions of this album are SQ encoded, but there was no Q8 of this released anywhere.

There were a bunch of these Japan-only SQ live releases that I think were all single-inventory SQ which makes me wonder if the guy mixing them mixed straight to an SQ encoder, rather than creating a 4-channel master and then deriving an SQ encoded stereo master from that. Some of the ones I'm thinking of include:

Andy Williams - An Evening With (2LP)
Percy Faith - In Concert
Kimiko Kasai - In Person
Brothers Four - Live In Japan
Michel Legrand - Live In Japan

It seems like the majority of live albums done by CBS/Sony Japan in the '73/'74 era were SQ encoded, which I guess is why the Beck Bogert & Appice live in Japan album is often mistakenly cited as being quad.

Does not bode well for a discrete 4-channel SACD presentation (IMHO!!! :eek: )

That would be a major let-down if there's no discrete 4-channel master :(
SQ on SACD...... Great. [/sarcasm]

I don't actually care about this one being in Quad or Stereo or Mono but if you put your anti-SQ bias to one side for a moment ( ;) ) surely you will agree there could be some merit in the potential sound quality uptick by it being SACD at the very least.. and it would give nutty SQ conversionistas (like me) the chance to do the best SQ-decode they could, in Hi-Rez, at last :)

I thought it was common knowledge by now:
"Lotus" has never been released in Stereo....all the copies , be them LP, cassette, Q8, CD and now, SACD....

ARE ALL SQ ENCODED!!!

(This has been a public service announcement from a fellow QQuad head)

Thank... You...!!! :worthy

What time are you landing?

Does not bode well for a discrete 4-channel SACD presentation (IMHO!!! :eek: )

Well The SQ was definitely sourced from a four channel master so I should think it would be QUAD. Adam, a lot of us do not have the wonderful Surround Master to decode SQ and forget about Dolby Pro Logic or the equivalent........simply not the same.

It would be such a disappointment if AF didn't deliver this album as a TRUE QUAD SACD.........but I know, we have been VERY disappointed before.

Time to email Mr Blonstein....again.

Addenda: Just emailed Marshall to enquire whether LOTUS will indeed be a QUAD SACD and I did mention that QQers were VERY disappointed that both Tail Spinning and MusicMagic which had QUAD masters were stereo only.

Well The SQ was definitely sourced from a four channel master so I should think it would be QUAD. Adam, a lot of us do not have the wonderful Surround Master to decode SQ and forget about Dolby Pro Logic or the equivalent........simply not the same.

It would be such a disappointment if AF didn't deliver this album as a TRUE QUAD SACD.........but I know, we have been VERY disappointed before.

Time to email Mr Blonstein....again.

Addenda: Just emailed Marshall to enquire whether LOTUS will indeed be a QUAD SACD and I did mention that QQers were VERY disappointed that both Tail Spinning and MusicMagic which had QUAD masters were stereo only.

Thanks for reaching out yet again to AF's top man, Ralph.. and also for reiterating the disappointment about RTF & WR Quads (at the risk of sounding like one of my broken records, I really don't think I'll ever forgive and forget that utter balls up.. it's one thing MFSL Quadblocking etc, it's another when AF do it to us and to themselves, it just makes no sense.)

Back