Coldplay "A Head Full of Dreams" (5.1 Surround Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, been listening to it on Spotify and I think it's actually pretty cool. Without the 5.1 mix, I definitely wouldn't have bothered, but it's certainly on my shopping list now.

Well,my reason for not supporting this is that I don't like the music.:rolleyes:

Fair enough, that's the best reason for not getting it imho! :)

fwiw though (and not being contentious) I had to almost force myself to open up to some genres and artists I would hitherto never have entertained, a few years ago things seemed pretty grim for me with surround I was thinking of abandoning it :eek: ..mainly because so little of my default kind of music listening was coming out in surround.. and it's been the best thing I ever did diving head first into a big old pool of so many different types of music that wasn't ever on my radar and most likely never would have been without surround introducing me to it.. some of its been lousy, some of its been surprising but it's always been in surround and its seldom been boring! :D

That said, not liking Coldplay is more common than one might think for such a popular band, I know it's only indicative of the tastes of my circle of friends but I've only got one friend irl/offline that really loves them (goes to all their gigs etc., he is "a fan") but all my other mates think they're either just ok or the pits! Each to their own and all that, it's all part of life's rich tapestry, innit..! :upthumb

So what was your "default kind of music" back then?

acid, house, death metal and rap.. :eek:

ha! only joking! :D

just your typical classic Rock & pop, a lot of pre 2000's Soul and R&B, general 70's/80's/90's stuff you used to get on the radio 24/7.. pretty standard meat & potatoes fare you could call it, really nothing special and not a great deal of it ever made it out in MultiCh really, so it came time to jump off that diving board head first and make a surround splash...!!!

WOOOSH..!! :p

Coldplay here we come! :yikes

acid, house, death metal and rap.. :eek:

ha! only joking! :D

just your typical classic Rock & pop, a lot of pre 2000's Soul and R&B, general 70's/80's/90's stuff you used to get on the radio 24/7.. pretty standard meat & potatoes fare you could call it, really nothing special and not a great deal of it ever made it out in MultiCh really, so it came time to jump off that diving board head first and make a surround splash...!!!

WOOOSH..!! :p

Coldplay here we come! :yikes

That's the QQ way of having an open mind and broadening your listening habits. If it wasn't for my addiction to everything that is high def and surround sound music, I would have never heard Porcupine Tree, Alison Krauss, The Flaming Lips, and so many other great artists who have sacd and dvd-audio releases!

I actually named my last child, Alison, now that I think about it around the time that I heard the "New Favorite" sacd!

That's the QQ way of having an open mind and broadening your listening habits. If it wasn't for my addiction to everything that is high def and surround sound music, I would have never heard Porcupine Tree, Alison Krauss, The Flaming Lips, and so many other great artists who have sacd and dvd-audio releases!

Flaming Lips! Porcupine Tree! ..that's exactly the kinda bands I would never have heard without surround! :music

I think I draw the line at Heino.. :eek: haha.. ;)

Did you hear the Keane surround mix rejigged, Kap..??

That's a big time improvement imho! :D

Meantime.. come on QQ.. one of you guys round here must have tried out this Coldplay 5.1 by now..!!!???

Yours impatiently,
FB x

Erm, is this something that can help those with only the SACD also? I have the Keane and it's not great although "She Has No Time" actually sounds good but the rest is pretty urgggh.

Pulled the trigger to Canada from Amazon UK, should represent the quickest way of getting this.
CDN$27 approximately shipped, would have been around $24CDN from Import CDs to Canada so I'll bit the extra couple bucks to ensure timely delivery and in stock status.

Pardon me, Jon, but ......

I get it. Actually, I'm getting it! It's ordered and on the way (allegedly). I am more annoyed at the whole Grammy thing than anything else. The Grammy's are a croc, sure, but to use them to get an award by creating a surround mix and then beating out Steven Wilson or another creator that actually made the mix for the joy of listening is what ticks me off.

That's all. I am not saying I am not happy it's out there.

I know what you mean, I've ordered it, they can play and I'm hoping it'll be a nice mix, but the Grammys its....................well marketing over music, corporate back slapping..........

I get it. Actually, I'm getting it! It's ordered and on the way (allegedly). I am more annoyed at the whole Grammy thing than anything else. The Grammy's are a croc, sure, but to use them to get an award by creating a surround mix and then beating out Steven Wilson or another creator that actually made the mix for the joy of listening is what ticks me off.

That's all. I am not saying I am not happy it's out there.

Pulled the trigger to Canada from Amazon UK, should represent the quickest way of getting this.
CDN$27 approximately shipped, would have been around $24CDN from Import CDs to Canada so I'll bit the extra couple bucks to ensure timely delivery and in stock status.
Why would you get a faster shipment from the UK to Canada than from the US to Canada? Does Canada delay the delivery from the US somehow?

Pardon me, Jon, but I don't think the Grammys should stop us from buying or enjoying this release. Even if it was done for the wrong reasons, who cares?! It's still great! This is what we have all been clamoring for! This is a great surround sound mix (released in high-resolution) by a very popular artist that has the ability to shift a lot of units.
We support a lot of flawed releases. Some are too expensive. Some are released in the worst possible format (DVD-V). Some have terrible mixes, and even if the mixes are good, sometimes the music is too terrible to bear!

Well this is a release that does everything extremely well, and anyone who doesn't support this release for the wrong reasons is doing a terrible disservice to everything we stand for!

I totally get what Jon's saying, though. There's a few big name engineers on this project, big mainstream artist, and it's like they just see this as an easy win, and it's just another notch on their Grammy belt. Like it's just a vanity project for them. And being who they are, they steal all the recognition from those who so deserve it, such as Steven W and and Andy J who have been so passionate about it and have done so much for the movement. Then there's the Grammy judges with their ignorant, shady, crony-istic principles, pretty much eliminates the deserving parties from any chance at a win.

And it just seems odd to me that they'd be clamoring for the surround grammy anyway... For an independent artist like SW, winning a grammy for his work would be MONUMENTAL, but for these big shots, why do they care? Are they really that vain and greedy that they NEED another one? Who, aside from us here on the quad, really gives a shit about the surround grammy? It seems that to most people, winning the surround grammy is like winning the equestrian olympic event, or like racewalking - whatever that is. Like, who cares??

ON THE OTHER HAND THOUGH... If selfish, Grammy hungry artists, labels and engineers leads to more surround choices for us, then what the hell, I'll take 'em! :)

First impressions 8 songs in: From a surround point, this mix is somewhat front-centric, but there are enough discrete elements in the rears to keep it very interesting... mostly effects, rhythm elements, and some background vocals (and occasional discrete guitars)... I like it! The sound quality is very "modern" meaning its very loud and could have better dynamic range (judging by my ears only so far), but no clipping and the cymbals sound "clean" with no distortion. I was hoping for a little more in terms of surround, but I'm happy with this one (especially for the price), and will be coming back for future listens. I wasn't sure if I would like the content, but I'm enjoying every single song, and have heard most of them before! This is sounding like an 8, but time will tell!

While I have been aware of Coldplay for a quite a while and had heard some bits and pieces over the years as I would read some positive things about them but nothing I ever listened to jelled musically with me and always seemed sort of "meh" to me. I just listened to the whole "A Head Full of Dreams" album (streamed on Amazon) and if possible, for me, this, musically, is even more "meh" to me (sort of second tier U2ish stuff). Musically this is for me, is everything that I find wrong with modern popular music...boring unimaginative go nowhere unenjoyable drivel (sort of made my brain hurt a little bit when I listened to it), maybe not as bad as a Bieber, but for me...not...much...better, oh well C'est la vie. Apologies to those of you that like the Coldplay...but not so much for the Bieberists.

While it is great that a new and popular artist has boarded the 5.1 surround express, as it can only help the surround cause! But for me this will have to be a pass as it just leaves me, well Cold(play).

On the up side I did just get "They Seem Like Owls" which qualifies as a new artist I like in surround and I should have a couple of "Barclay James Harvest" surround discs sometime today and "Pineapple Thief" some time next week also 3 "Steve Hackett" discs laying around that have been unwrapped for a while but still remain unplayed along with "Storm Corrosion" still wrapped and unplayed not to mention "Fleetwood Mac - Mirage Boxset" and "Blue Öyster Cult -Secret Treaties Quad SACD "unwrapped and played, so shed no tears for me for I will survive! (Hell, give Gloria Gainer I Will Survive in 5.1, I absolutly HATED disco back in the day and I would rather have that than Coldplay) Yeah I know just another Grumpy Old Man...and while I'm at it YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

Why would you get a faster shipment from the UK to Canada than from the US to Canada? Does Canada delay the delivery from the US somehow?

I've found Amazon UK ships very fast, but in terms of logistics Transatlantic shipping is usually done in one day similar to the international shipping, so sorting/customs should be about the same.

My logic is just in case not enough is sent to US retailers vs knowing that the UK retailer will be shipping on release day if not before.

I found it on ebay.ca from importcds for 23.66 Canadian(shipping included). Strange how importcds do things as it seems they sell in many different places and seem to give each spot a certain amount of disks. It said there were 3 available and I just bought one of them.

peter

While I have been aware of Coldplay for a quite a while and had heard some bits and pieces over the years as I would read some positive things about them but nothing I ever listened to jelled musically with me and always seemed sort of "meh" to me. I just listened to the whole "A Head Full of Dreams" album (streamed on Amazon) and if possible, for me, this, musically, is even more "meh" to me (sort of second tier U2ish stuff). Musically this is for me, is everything that I find wrong with modern popular music...boring unimaginative go nowhere unenjoyable drivel (sort of made my brain hurt a little bit when I listened to it), maybe not as bad as a Bieber, but for me...not...much...better, oh well C'est la vie. Apologies to those of you that like the Coldplay...but not so much for the Bieberists.

I tend to agree. I think a lot of their stuff is "meh" as well. I don't think I'm as down on them as you are because there is some stuff by them that I do like, but its never an entire album. A cut or two on this one, a cut or two on that one. I haven't heard this release, but it is a BR, it is current, and the price was just to good to pass up. And if history is any guide, there will be a cut or two I will like. I guess that's what you get for your 15 bucks in todays audio world.... $15 singles... but it is a lossless surround single.:mad:@:

Well, it looks like one upside of this title's disappearance and reappearance is that all the different retailers have lowered their price:

ImportCDs: $13.26
Bull Moose: $14.97
Deep Discount: $15.85

Amazon U.S. has it listed again but with no price.

I'm confused. Looking at the ImportCDs link it says "Attributes: Digital Download Card". Is this for the Disc AND digital download or download only?

Back