Coldplay "A Head Full of Dreams" (5.1 Surround Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine too and the price has rocketed there since I ordered mine.

Ugh.. in stock in 1 to 3 weeks and now £29 quid..!?

..I bet they sent all copies they had pressed to the States leaving none for what they perceived to be an even smaller (to the point of non-existent) market in Europe.. :rolleyes:

Ugh.. in stock in 1 to 3 weeks and now £29 quid..!?

..I bet they sent all copies they had pressed to the States leaving none for what they perceived to be an even smaller (to the point of non-existent) market in Europe.. :rolleyes:

My order status on Amazon UK yesterday was "will be dispatched on 1 October". Now this has gone, and it just says "not yet dispatched". :howl

My order status on Amazon UK yesterday was "will be dispatched on 1 October". Now this has gone, and it just says "not yet dispatched". :howl

Double "Ugh"..! :p
I knew I shouldn't have cancelled my Amazon.com order.. I'd probably have received it by now.. and even with shipping & customs it wouldn't have cost £29.. what a ridiculous hobby this can be at times.. I mean, this is Coldplay we're talking about, it should be plentiful and available everywhere (including and especially Amazon UK) not an expensive hassle..! :mad:

bugger it.. I've bought it from the Coldplay store rather than hang about for Amazon UK for another (potentially) 3 weeks, by which time Coldplay store might well have sold out of their inventory and the bloody thing become unobtainable.. we've seen it happen before, let's face it.. :rolleyes:

My Amazon UK order gives no date.

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

At least it's still at £15.78.

My Amazon UK order gives no date.

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

At least it's still at £15.78.

its up to you of course but if you really want to be sure not to miss out maybe you should just bite the bullet and get it from the Coldplay store?

Amazon UK may not be able to honour the preorder if for whatever reason they can't get it in stock after all.. (maybe in the UK this is going to be a Coldplay store exclusive like they said it would be!?)..

..if ultimately you get a 2nd copy from Amazon too I bet you'll be able to flip it for more than you paid for it..

I dunno but I think this is going to be one of those pricey sought after out of print surround titles at this rate (just that it'll happen a lot sooner than most!)

Maybe this is a good sign and they have not realised just how popular this was going to be and will encourage more of course the mind of the music industry are definitly not part of the real world otherwise there would not be so much crap pumped out.

Maybe this is a good sign and they have not realised just how popular this was going to be and will encourage more of course the mind of the music industry are definitly not part of the real world otherwise there would not be so much crap pumped out.

You may be right that it's more popular than expected. Import CDs and Deep Discount both show this on backorder now. (Import CDs did have it in stock earlier this week; they just mailed mine out the other day.) Bull Moose says they have it in stock at most of their stores but for some reason they say it's available in store only.

I took the lead of Peter Zach and ordered from ImportCDs on eBay to Canada for CDN$23.66 as they said they still had a copy in stock, cancelled my Amazon UK order before supposed shipping date.

Hopefully the band hears it sold out and asks if they should do Parachutes or Ghost Stories or Rush.

FYI: I received a ship confirmation from Import CD today for the order I placed a few days ago.

Nice, just received mine too from ImportCDs eBay that they've shipped mine, can't wait to hear some Coldplay in 5.1!

For those that do enjoy Coldplay, I'd highly recommend the Ghost Stories Live 2014 Blu-ray, the 5.1 mix is fully dynamic and because the show was so small, it's very close to a studio sound. Ghost Stories is easily for me a top 3 album, just the retail version has typical crap mastering.

To me, it seems what they're doing with this title is somewhere between testing the waters and a soft launch.

Bear in mind that the staff turnover at major labels is so high that there's probably no one still around who was part of the DVD-A/SACD 5.1 push 15 years ago, so the idea of selling a standalone 5.1 music release on Blu-Ray is probably basically uncharted territory for a major label right now.

So rather than press up tens of thousands of copies of this without knowing what the demand is going to be like and risk having them hit the cutout bins, they press a fraction of that number to gauge interest. Presumably for a band as big as Coldplay a Grammy nom in the 5.1 mix category is pretty much a sure thing, which will basically act like free advertising for this release. So if this initial run sells out and the Grammy nomination comes in, I would think that would be the impetus they need to press more copies.

A couple of positive signs though, for the optimists amongst us:

The fact that the disc is already hard to find is a good thing. If stores don't have copies, they'll be asking the distributor for more copies and if the distributor doesn't have any more copies they'll be asking the label for more copies which will make them aware of the demand.

The fact that this release exists at all means there's someone in the Coldplay 'food chain' that "gets it" with regard to 5.1 music. A standalone 5.1 mix (and a real 5.1 mix at that) in an economically priced standalone format is such an anomaly these days - they could have easily stuck this in a 'deluxe edition' reissue of the album or something for $100. Coldplay are one of the biggest selling acts of the last 10 years or so, so the sales of this disc are going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the stereo version - obviously the music business is about making money, but if they wanted to exploit this 5.1 mix more cynically as a moneymaking venture, they definitely could have done so. So I would take it as a good sign that they're trying to make this Blu-Ray widely available as cheaply as they are.

In conclusion, I can't believe I wrote this much about a band who's music I don't like at all, but I feel like this release is a really positive thing for the format.

Back