Top 10 Audio Fidelity Surround SACD albums / Make your List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.. I want to tread carefully, as I know some folk here love the Judy Collins Best Of Quad.. and no disrespect to them or to the artist/disc/mix/AF, ec, etc.. but to me this is another one of those "head-scratchers" in AF's surround releases (really only one of about 3 or 4 that made little to no sense to me) how they were expecting to sell a stack of the Judy Collins, I don't know.. I could name dozens of Quads off the top of my head that would have done better business and made more sense for AF to release nowadays (imho!) but then they're the experts, I'm just a punter, fair play to them they gave it their best shot, we move on..

I did not mean to denigrate her music or her fans at all. I was merely stating that if I had to choose between Judy or Jeff, I'd go with Jeff. Judy's disc must be great to hear on SACD.

Well.. I want to tread carefully, as I know some folk here love the Judy Collins Best Of Quad.. and no disrespect to them or to the artist/disc/mix/AF, ec, etc.. but to me this is another one of those "head-scratchers" in AF's surround releases (really only one of about 3 or 4 that made little to no sense to me) how they were expecting to sell a stack of the Judy Collins, I don't know.. I could name dozens of Quads off the top of my head that would have done better business and made more sense for AF to release nowadays (imho!) but then they're the experts, I'm just a punter, fair play to them they gave it their best shot, we move on..

Well, from a quad viewpoint, you may be right. But remember that AF is dealing with a large customer base that puts stereo first, and the quad is unwanted or a footnote. Since they have released quite a few albums from '60s folk artists, JC fits right in. The fact that it is a GH disc and had a quad master probably even made it more attractive to them.

We have to stop thinking QUAD FIRST when it comes to AF, because it's not first. It's an no-charge extra when you get right down to it.

Well, from a quad viewpoint, you may be right. But remember that AF is dealing with a large customer base that puts stereo first, and the quad is unwanted or a footnote. Since they have released quite a few albums from '60s folk artists, JC fits right in. The fact that it is a GH disc and had a quad master probably even made it more attractive to them.

We have to stop thinking QUAD FIRST when it comes to AF, because it's not first. It's an no-charge extra when you get right down to it.

I meant a potentially poor seller in general, rather than solely from a Quad pov.

Edit: AF could stick another fiver on each surround one if it helps the cause, afaic.. but that may be an unpopular suggestion :)

I did not mean to denigrate her music or her fans at all. I was merely stating that if I had to choose between Judy or Jeff, I'd go with Jeff. Judy's disc must be great to hear on SACD.

Noo! I never said you were Demi Moore gyrating! I mean, denigrating, sorry been a long day :)

Well,

Just sampled all the 10 surround albums that I do not have on my collection from Audio Fidelity in amazon and.... That's it for me so far, based on my taste of the music. (I like some songs and tracks, but not to warrant a purchase)

Probably most of them have great surround mix but the music's not for me. Will see what Audio Fidelity have for us in the future, hopefully great artists and music.

I'm done for now.

Thank you guys!!!

Regards,

So, shall we start a thread: My Favorite TOP 10 DTS Entertainment Discs either in DTS RBCD OR DVD~A?

It would be quite interesting to see as there are so many more titles to chose from for each format.

"Just do it", Ralphie! :upthumb

I haven't even chosen my TOP 10 AF QUAD discs yet, as, quite truthfully, I really like them ALL......even Judy, Judy, Judy.............Hey Jude!

EVEN Mr. Scheiner's 'Let It Snow' brings a warm glow......so call me a Folkie Yuletide junkie....if you will...with a side order of the upcoming bombastic BOC on the bill!

AFZ5-185: GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN' -too much echo
AFZ5-186: BLOOMFIELD, KOOPER, STILLS - SUPERSESSION - great
AFZ5-195: BS&T - CHILD IS THE FATHER TO MAN - pretty good
AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS - boring
AFZ5-197: BREAD - BEST OF - great first side, boring second
AFZ5-198: BS&T - BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS (Second Album) - really good
AFZ5-199: GUESS WHO - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO - awesome
AFZ5-202: EARTH WIND & FIRE - OPEN OUR EYES - not my cup of tea
AFZ5-203: GROVER WASHINGTON - WINELIGHT - mellow, ok music
AFZ5-204: AMERICA - HOMECOMING - my second favorite
AFZ5-206: THE DOORS - BEST OF THE DOORS - my favorite of all
AFZ5-207: BILLY JOEL - STREETLIFE SERENADE - one good song
AFZ5-212: THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - BIRDS OF FIRE - too trebly, never played
AFZ5-215: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - GREATEST HITS - a couple of good songs, the rest filler
AFZ5-216: LOGGINS & MESSINA - LOGGINS & MESSINA - boring
AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP - ok
AFZ5-220: JUDY COLLINS - COLORS OF THE DAY - boring
AFZ5-223: HERBIE HANCOCK - THRUST - why this one?
AFZ5-229: ALICE COOPER - MUSCLE OF LOVE - this is a reason why AF is stopping MC
AFZ5-230: BOB DYLAN - BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 6 - are you kidding a double live cd on MC
AFZ5-231: AMERICA - HEARTS 2 good songs
AFZ5-234: BILLY COBHAM - SPECTRUM - not a drum fan
AFZ5-236: EARTH WIND AND FIRE - HEAD TO THE SKY - never played
AFZ5-237: LAURA NYRO - ELI AND THE THIRTEENTH CONFESSION - awesome album
AFZ5-238: MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER - FRESH AIRE 8 - yawn
AFZ5-240: VARIOUS ARTISTS - THE COLLECTION - is this MC?
AFZ5-243: LOGGINS & MESSINA - FULL SAIL - another yawn
AFZ5-248: BLUE OYSTER CULT - SECRET TREATIES
AFZ5-520: NEW YORK VOICES - LET IT SNOW

All in all AF has a couple of good choices but mostly their selection process has been horrible. They really blew it again and again.

Here's my take on all of them. (Bolded)

AFZ5-185: GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN' -too much echo (waiting for it, don't know yet, love the album)
AFZ5-186: BLOOMFIELD, KOOPER, STILLS - SUPERSESSION - great (Great)
AFZ5-195: BS&T - CHILD IS THE FATHER TO MAN - pretty good (Great)
AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS - boring (waiting for it, don't know yet, like the music)
AFZ5-197: BREAD - BEST OF - great first side, boring second (Great, love the album)
AFZ5-198: BS&T - BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS (Second Album) - really good (Great)
AFZ5-199: GUESS WHO - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO - awesome (Great)
AFZ5-202: EARTH WIND & FIRE - OPEN OUR EYES - not my cup of tea (Great)
AFZ5-203: GROVER WASHINGTON - WINELIGHT - mellow, ok music (Great, Awesome Album and Mix)
AFZ5-204: AMERICA - HOMECOMING - my second favorite (Great)
AFZ5-206: THE DOORS - BEST OF THE DOORS - my favorite of all (Great)
AFZ5-207: BILLY JOEL - STREETLIFE SERENADE - one good song (Great)
AFZ5-212: THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - BIRDS OF FIRE - too trebly, never played (do not like the music, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-215: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - GREATEST HITS - a couple of good songs, the rest filler (do not like the music, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-216: LOGGINS & MESSINA - LOGGINS & MESSINA - boring (Great)
AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP - ok (Great)
AFZ5-220: JUDY COLLINS - COLORS OF THE DAY - boring (do not like the music, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-223: HERBIE HANCOCK - THRUST - why this one? (do not like the music, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-229: ALICE COOPER - MUSCLE OF LOVE - this is a reason why AF is stopping MC (do not like the music, do not like the artist, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-230: BOB DYLAN - BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 6 - are you kidding a double live cd on MC (do not like the music, do not like the artist, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-231: AMERICA - HEARTS 2 good songs (Great)
AFZ5-234: BILLY COBHAM - SPECTRUM - not a drum fan (Great)
AFZ5-236: EARTH WIND AND FIRE - HEAD TO THE SKY - never played (waiting for it, don't know yet, like the music)
AFZ5-237: LAURA NYRO - ELI AND THE THIRTEENTH CONFESSION - awesome album (do not like the music, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-238: MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER - FRESH AIRE 8 - yawn (do not like the music, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-240: VARIOUS ARTISTS - THE COLLECTION - is this MC? (Great most of the Album)
AFZ5-243: LOGGINS & MESSINA - FULL SAIL - another yawn (Great)
AFZ5-248: BLUE OYSTER CULT - SECRET TREATIES (do not like the music, do not like the artist, no on my list to buy)
AFZ5-520: NEW YORK VOICES - LET IT SNOW (do not like the music, no on my list to buy. I wish was the quartet "The Manhattan Transfer" in glorious surround SACD)

All in all AF has a couple of good choices but mostly their selection process has been horrible. They really blew it again and again.

My verdict based on my taste of the music and my ears :), for 29 albums so far: 60% Great

Regards,

Last edited:
So here's my list:

Blood Sweat and Tears (ST) - Never really paid attention to BST but this got my attention, probably my most played AF SACD
America - Homecoming - Didn't have the DVD-A , and a Elliot Scheiner mix - sublime
Bread - Best of
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight - another reference mix from Elliot Schenier
Billy Cobham - Spectrum - Blows away the DVD-A
Jeff Beck Group
The Collection
Blood Seat and Tears - Child is Father to the Man
Bloomfield Kooper Stills - Supersession
The Doors - The Best - You have to listen to Riders on the Storm..

AFZ5-186: BLOOMFIELD, KOOPER, STILLS - SUPERSESSION
AFZ5-199: GUESS WHO - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO
AFZ5-206: THE DOORS - BEST OF THE DOORS
AFZ5-207: BILLY JOEL - STREETLIFE SERENADE
AFZ5-212: THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - BIRDS OF FIRE
AFZ5-215: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - GREATEST HITS
AFZ5-223: HERBIE HANCOCK - THRUST
AFZ5-230: BOB DYLAN - BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 6
AFZ5-234: BILLY COBHAM - SPECTRUM
AFZ5-248: BLUE OYSTER CULT - SECRET TREATIES

Back