We need a Quad First/Surround First reissue label

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm giving "The Collection" a thought now, skipped it before but the content seems interesting, I'm good with compilations like the Acura discs, so think I'll grab it unless it has serious problems I should know about. By the way, posting for the first time from the Nederlands, so hello again to all the Dutch QQ'rs.

I wish you a good time here :smokin

Thanks for the info Adam, this time from a nearer time zone! I ordered BOC's Secret Treaties earlier today even though no reviews are in, an album from my youth and hoping for the best. Edit: always happy to visit NL

You're very welcome my friend :)
(just my opinion on the AF Surround Collecton.. but its a considered one I can assure you of that! :D )
fwiw my Secret Treaties SACD is in the mail now (Amazon.com just emailed to confirm despatch.. very excited, its a superb Quad imho, hope you enjoy it! I hope everyone here who is buying it or has bought it enjoys it too, of course! :upthumb )

Well, if The Collection did well, then I do expect that a Warner Music Group "collection" to be still a consideration at some point.

But more than that, I am wondering what the next title Audio Fidelity will do that included a surround layer?

I think that the company actually likes the old quad stuff, and there were some more titles (a few really great ones) that licensing requests were submitted for.

I think we all tend to assume that we are like one another in our buying habits, but in reality, we're all very different. The model you described might work if we all shared your buying habits, but we don't. I would be willing to spend $1,000 in a Kickstarter campaign to get the unreleased ES mix of Pretzel Logic out, or the the unreleased Greg Penney mix of "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player." But I would hesitate before joining a subscription service, and I have no interest whatsoever in an SACD subscription service.
I don't think you have any clue what my buying habits are.

I don't think you have any clue what my buying habits are.

None of us REALLY know each other. Well, maybe a few of us do, but we cannot assume anything about anyone. I certainly do not want to subscribe to an SACD program or any format for that matter and I doubt many members would. We want what interests us and at times we branch out for "the good", but really, when you get right down to it.........

We should not be required to fund an industry that does not give a rats ass about us. :)

(Ben, the rat, agrees!)

Well, if The Collection did well, then I do expect that a Warner Music Group "collection" to be still a consideration at some point.

But more than that, I am wondering what the next title Audio Fidelity will do that included a surround layer?

I think that the company actually likes the old quad stuff, and there were some more titles (a few really great ones) that licensing requests were submitted for.

I like the idea of a Warner Quad-based AF Surround Collection, I really do.. so far I've heard around 50 Warner/Elektra/Asylum/Reprise/Atlantic Quads (not entirely sure how many more there are/were in all?) and I'm kinda struggling a bit with some, the Quad mixes are variable in quality (some are just plain weird imho and don't really work too well for me) and many of the albums are not that great either (again totally subjective I realise that some of the albums may be among QQ members' cherished records and no disrespect intended or implied).. but for me, there are some Warner & assoc label Quads that are so good they must surely warrant their own release (Doobies x 4, Eagles, Arlo Guthrie, Stardrive, Gates/Bread, Average White Band, Spinners x 3, Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway, Bette Midler, Mystic Moods Love The One You're With, Seals & Crofts Diamond Girl) but thinking of some of the also-rans I can't see too many being of much crossover appeal for a compilation, so I'd hope that if any tracks of the really great Warner Quads were included in a compilation that would not preclude them from having their own separate release on an AF Surround SACD someday.. but just my two pennuth.. any Surround reissue of an old Quad is a welcome release in my book, at least then we have the choice to buy or not to buy :)

None of us REALLY know each other. Well, maybe a few of us do, but we cannot assume anything about anyone. I certainly do not want to subscribe to an SACD program or any format for that matter and I doubt many members would. We want what interests us and at times we branch out for "the good", but really, when you get right down to it.........

We should not be required to fund an industry that does not give a rats ass about us. :)

(Ben, the rat, agrees!)

bravo!! well said..!!! :upthumb

as much as i'd love for all of this to happen and loads of Quad to be reissued, I don't want to be tied into a subscription thing either..

I mean, what if the first few Quads in that programme were things like; Maria Muldaur's Donuts and Bill Wyman's Monkey..??
..even I don't want to hear those blinking things again anytime soon.. I can't be alone in feeling that way, surely..!? :eek:

(Ben, the rat, agrees!)

Right ON, Jon! Especially in this day and age when making a "donation" which instead of benefitting the 'common good' goes to absurd morons who spend it on limousines and week~ends in Vegas.

When I pluck my 'hard earned' money down, I want to absolutely KNOW where it will be spent.

And 'contributing' 1K for two QUAD reissues is ........ well..........ABSURD!

I just received Nosound's BD~A/RBCD of Scintilla in a very cool hardbound case BRAND NEW (and within 2 DAYS) for $10.51 + $1.39 s/h from ImportCDs..........Divide that by $1,000 and you might start to wonder aloud how ridiculous a proposition crowdfunding REALLY is. You can purchase a helluva lot BD~Vs and existent surround music for that kind of dough.

But then again, IT IS YOUR MONEY......so........

Last edited:
oh yeah and if anybody gets the rights to that Gladys Knight Quad and redoes it in surround they want their head examined.. :eek:
I practically winced with pain the first time I heard how they'd all but ruined some of the stuff on that great album by remixing it into Quad.. :kaboom
(wonder who did that quad mix btw? hmm.. don't tell me, they can remain an unsung hero maybe! :p )

Right ON, Jon! Especially in this day and age when making a "donation" which instead of benefitting the 'common good' goes to absurd morons who spend it on limousines and week~ends in Vegas.

When I pluck my 'hard earned' money down, I want to absolutely KNOW where it will be spent.

I just received Nosound's DVD~A/RBCD of Scintilla in a very cool hardbound case BRAND NEW (and within 2 DAYS) for $10.51 + $1.39 s/h from ImportCDs..........Divide that by $1,000 and you might start to wonder aloud how ridiculous a proposition crowdfunding REALLY is. You can purchase a helluva lot BD~Vs and existent surround music for that kind of dough.

Indeed, Ralph.. and this is why I feel thrashing all this out, as to what QQ members really want to hear again in Quad (or for the first time indeed!) is so vital..

..especially if anything is to ever happen with regards crowdfunding or some other initiative to get this old stuff out there..

..there's no point getting the cash together and then licensing a load of stuff nobody wants!

take Ray Conniff, for example.. no really, take him! :D
(sorry Kap, sorry Simon.. and whoever else here loves his stuff.. but after doing about a dozen Quads of his on the trot I think I've just about had my fill of his unique sound, potentially enough to last a lifetime! :eek: )

..i suspect (but no proof as not enough people are forthcoming enough.. ;) .. maybe they just don't care after all..) that the same "wanted" Quad titles would come up again and again..?

i'm thinking stuff like;

Aerosmith,
Average White Band,
Billy Joel,
Billy Paul,
Blue Oyster Cult,
Bob Dylan,
Chase,
Doobie Brothers,
Eagles,
Earth Wind & Fire,
Edgar Winter,
Harold Melvin,
Hayward & Lodge,
Isley Brothers,
Janis Joplin,
Jeff Beck,
Jim Croce,
Johnny Winter,
Minnie Riperton,
O'Jays,
Paul Simon,
Poco,
Rick Derringer,
Santana,
Simon & Garfunkel,
Steely Dan..

..if all that lot were to come out, I for one would be chuffed..

..but some of it we have been told more than once lately is a non-starter at this point.

so, what are we truly left with?
hmm..

oh yeah and if anybody gets the rights to that Gladys Knight Quad and redoes it in surround they want their head examined.. :eek:
I practically winced with pain the first time I heard how they'd all but ruined some of the stuff on that great album by remixing it into Quad.. :kaboom
(wonder who did that quad mix btw? hmm.. don't tell me, they can remain an unsung hero maybe! :p )

Perhaps it was remixed by the PIPS......Glady's back~up band.

Yes, Adam, there were a LOT of shitty or non existent surround mixes passing as the 'real thing' and we NEED QUAD VIGILANTES like you to expose these charlatans!

Perhaps it was remixed by the PIPS......Glady's back~up band.

Yes, Adam, there were a LOT of shitty or non existent surround mixes passing as the 'real thing' and we NEED QUAD VIGILANTES like you to expose these charlatans!

Maybe.. the Pips were experiencing the "going up's and the coming down's" at the time.. ;)

Oh its all been done before, Ralph.. there are people here, yourself included who were doing all this Quad stuff before I was even a twinkle in the milkman's eye ( :eek: ) I'm not exploring anything new to anyone really but me.. just the latest in a long line blathering on about it.. blah dee blah! :D

Maybe.. the Pips were experiencing the "going up's and the coming down's" at the time.. ;)

Oh its all been done before, Ralph.. there are people here, yourself included who were doing all this Quad stuff before I was even a twinkle in the milkman's eye ( :eek: ) I'm not exploring anything new to anyone really but me.. just the latest in a long line blathering on about it.. blah dee blah! :D

Well, at any rate, AB, am listening to the fantastic remastered Minnie Riperton led ROTARY CONNECTION, a 2 disc GREATEST HITS collection on RBCD LITE.

And yes, before you were a 'twinkle in the milkman's eye,' I was upgrading to QUAD Open Reel with the NO Fat milk money pittance my father paid me for working like a GD Slave for him! Those WEREN'T THE DAYS....I can assure you!

And Adam, before you retire for the evening, ensure that you BLOW the dust off your stylus. It will thank you in the morning.

Well, at any rate, AB, am listening to the fantastic remastered Minnie Riperton led ROTARY CONNECTION, a 2 disc GREATEST HITS collection on RBCD LITE.

And yes, before you were a 'twinkle in the milkman's eye,' I was upgrading to QUAD Open Reel with the NO Fat milk money pittance my father paid me for working like a GD Slave for him! Those WEREN'T THE DAYS....I can assure you!

And Adam, before you retire for the evening, ensure that you BLOW the dust off your stylus. It will thank you in the morning.

Ah, now I know some of those Minnie Riperton records fairly well.. and those two Minnie Quads blow the Stereo mixes away imho, you must have heard them over the years, Ralpheeo..?

They're quite different approaches to surround.. the Perfect Angel Quad is more a 4-corner mix with some aggressive positioning of things plonked in each of the 4 channels, on the opening number "Reasons" for example you've got that fabulous fuzzy guitar work over in the Rear Right throughout the track, its got this kinda virtuosic heroic quality to it when its emphasised in such a way back over there.. while Adventures in Paradise Quad is more subtle a set of mixes by comparison but still has some (I think) very cool things going on, all the tropical animal effects are all over the room for example and on some tracks you have the superb drumming and percussion showcased in one of the rears.. I'm sure some would hate that but I love it.. you've got amazing musicians, you've got a surround sound remixing methodology in Quad that can show these artists off to their fullest, why not do it!?

Ahh.. no recourse to blow the tip tonight my dear Ralphie, I've not touched the turntable for a while as it happens (last time I did I got well and truly fed up with Roberta F giving me some serious Flack on CD-4.. "Strumming my - phhhh - face - with his -phhh - fingers - singing my life - phhh - with his words - phhh - killing me softly - phhh - with his song - phhh.." etc. all in the Front Right and Rear Right channels only.. and only on the first like 45 seconds of acapella vocal intro or whatever it is.. then when the instrumentation kicked in, all the "phhh-ing" went pooph and was magically gone.. so, so maddening since the rest of the record sounded great, better than that in fact but the title tracks RIP.. Roberta Flacks' song got softly killed by all that "phh-ing".. I felt like using the record as a frisbee, I was so disappointed.. and I haven't switched the record player on since! ..and on that tawdry vinyl bollocks related note, I bid you adieu! Catch ya later when me legs are straighter.. :D

Ah, now I know some of those Minnie Riperton records fairly well.. and those two Minnie Quads blow the Stereo mixes away imho, you must have heard them over the years, Ralpheeo..?

They're quite different approaches to surround.. the Perfect Angel Quad is more a 4-corner mix with some aggressive positioning of things plonked in each of the 4 channels, on the opening number "Reasons" for example you've got that fabulous fuzzy guitar work over in the Rear Right throughout the track, its got this kinda virtuosic heroic quality to it when its emphasised in such a way back over there.. while Adventures in Paradise Quad is more subtle a set of mixes by comparison but still has some (I think) very cool things going on, all the tropical animal effects are all over the room for example and on some tracks you have the superb drumming and percussion showcased in one of the rears.. I'm sure some would hate that but I love it.. you've got amazing musicians, you've got a surround sound remixing methodology in Quad that can show these artists off to their fullest, why not do it!?

Ahh.. no recourse to blow the tip tonight my dear Ralphie, I've not touched the turntable for a while as it happens (last time I did I got well and truly fed up with Roberta F giving me some serious Flack on CD-4.. "Strumming my - phhhh - face - with his -phhh - fingers - singing my life - phhh - with his words - phhh - killing me softly - phhh - with his song - phhh.." etc. all in the Front Right and Rear Right channels only.. and only on the first like 45 seconds of acapella vocal intro or whatever it is.. then when the instrumentation kicked in, all the "phhh-ing" went pooph and was magically gone.. so, so maddening since the rest of the record sounded great, better than that in fact but the title tracks RIP.. Roberta Flacks' song got softly killed by all that "phh-ing".. I felt like using the record as a frisbee, I was so disappointed.. and I haven't switched the record player on since! ..and on that tawdry vinyl bollocks related note, I bid you adieu! Catch ya later when me legs are straighter.. :D

Bollocks, Adam......you seem to have NO success with your CD~4 albums AT ALL. I could point to an azimuth* alignment problem but since it only occurs intermittently, it's probably the crappy 70's vinyl.

Would LOVE to have the two Minnie Riperton QUADS on QUAD SACD. I do have one of them but as I mentioned, never heard it like it should've been heard (crappy SQ 70's processors and all).

Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly album would also be a GREAT QUAD SACD release and I'm sure sales would be respectable but it seems that AF isn't doing Warner/Atlantic/Elektra QUADs anymore. Hope I'm wrong.

*Azimuth Part I: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/crazy-little-thing-called-azimuth-part-1#FGWyOxJrsHvB7Ame.97

Part II: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/crazy-little-thing-called-azimuth-part-2#HeTuEOkggypQvoVy.97

I just received Nosound's DVD~A/RBCD of Scintilla in a very cool hardbound case BRAND NEW (and within 2 DAYS) for $10.51 + $1.39 s/h from ImportCDs..........Divide that by $1,000 and you might start to wonder aloud how ridiculous a proposition crowdfunding REALLY is. You can purchase a helluva lot BD~Vs and existent surround music for that kind of dough.

Right, and how about that EXCELLENT release from Denver, Co. from last year, from the 2 Ian's - a beautiful, totally accessible surround DVD-A with amazing packaging and a terrific mix for only about ten bucks! More people should really hear this one - ANTIQUASAURIA

If these guys can do this, why is it so hard for the big guys to get the damn job done??? :mad:

Actually "The Collection" is one of the bigger sellers among the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD releases.
It's supposed lack of sales sounds like another Internet rumor to me... :)

Well if that's the case, why can't we do more of them? I myself did some underground/unauthorized Quad albums much in the same vain where I picked 12-15 classic Quad titles within a certain genre and shared them via the internets. I had a Rock title, a Soul/R&B title, Country and I was working on a Pop and Rock #2 when life gave me lemons.

But, those just being basic DTS CD-s were some of the most downloaded discs I'd ever posted on Demonoid.

So, why not invest in something like that? License a bunch of songs within a Genre and go for broke! If it was a business plan that did well - fuckin' run with it, baby!! To be honest, some of those full albums were only purchased for the one or two good songs on 'em. I'd much rather have a compilation or Greatest Hits package with some really rippin' tunes.

Oh yes.. Mobile Fidelity's quality standards are so high, they consistently Quadblock scores of albums with Quad mixes available, by releasing SACD after SACD of Stereo only presentations of said albums that have Quadraphonic mixes sitting in the vaults..
old Quad mixes that are dying a little inside their master tape boxes, just like I do every time one of these Stereo SACDs comes out that has the technology, capability and capacity to include the Quad but constantly fails to do so.

Great job MFSL! That's the true "Gold Standard"... :mad:@:
I've done some investigating into licensing quad mixes, and "quadblocking" only negates releasing such titles for the US market, often the same titles are available for licensing in the EU or Japan, and it doesn't matter if the work is done in the US as long as the product is not released in the US. Of course, imports can't be kept out if customers know how to get them.

Right, and how about that EXCELLENT release from Denver, Co. from last year, from the 2 Ian's - a beautiful, totally accessible surround DVD-A with amazing packaging and a terrific mix for only about ten bucks! More people should really hear this one - ANTIQUASAURIA

If these guys can do this, why is it so hard for the big guys to get the damn job done??? :mad:

YES YES YES..!! This strikes to the very crux of the matter.. Ian Cooke & Co. can make surround happen, v.cheaply and painlessly to the end user and in the most spectacular fashion and presentation, how comes Universal/Sony/Warner can't similarly consistently do it..!? It's 2016 and we're still harping on about this, it's pathetic.

Back