Playing Stereo SACDs Through The Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds great run throught the Surround Master in 4.0 mode.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip off, i must try it! :upthumb

What other cool stuff have you been pumping through your Surround Master lately?

Edit: Can a Mod please make it clearer karlkastner's original post was regarding the America S/T AF Stereo SACD?

Just thinking of future visitors to QQ, from this dimension and beyond.. so they know what the eck we were on about at the time! Thank you very much for that! :)

Last edited:
Yes 90125 comes to mind immediately. Leave It is my favorite track for surround INVOLVEment. I play all movies and music through it(4.0).

I don't have a discrete set up yet, so I can't compare to that. But the SM yields rear channel info on most sources. I imagine its the next best thing if a SACD is released in stereo only. Seems like each of these releases should be evaluated for their SM extractability, for those that have the setup and others that may be interested. Everyone bemoans the lack of 4.0 or 5.1, especially with AF's new selective policy. I just sit back and see what is produced in "Sim Quad". I reserve the right to complain about the stereo only releases if my future discrete set up knocks my socks off. The real question there for me is how well does the SM approximate discrete from a 4.0/5.1 source? If reasonably close, then everything else(Sim Quad) is gravy.

Too much Time On My Hands(Styx SACD), Stranglehold(Nugent Redbook), and Hell or High Water(Y&T) stand out but there are many others. Sometimes the front to back balance needs to be adjusted from one Cd to another. I'm hoping the Involve preamp will allow me to do that via remote. I have a RC-4 controller for my Marantz 4300 but its a little scratchy and cumbersome. So I leave it out for fear of contaminating the signal path with noise(?) I'm also hoping their upcoming preamp allows me to switch from SM sim to discrete w/o rewiring interconnects. Then an A/B could be done easily.

Since I lean from Classic Rock to 80s Rock, and SACDs, let alone multichannel, are so few, I think Sim Quad should be my profile name or at least an alias.
That is, if its not already a trademarked PC game.

Parting shot: AC/DC in general is simulated really well! Now if they'd just make the SACDs....

Last edited:
You will find that a well recorded Stereo SACD can sound quite good when played through the Surround Master.

You will find that a well recorded Stereo SACD can sound quite good when played through the Surround Master.[/QUO

Absolutely. 90125 and America are just two examples. Most of my stereo SACDs essentially are tranformed into surround discs(redbook too for that matter). How much better could they possibly be if they were 4.0/5.1? My rear Belles are almost always very active. I've come to take it for granted actually.

I'd like to hear some comparison tests or evaluations done by some of the more experienced(with discrete) members.

Listening to La Grange right now off of Pandora. Starts off with opening guitar rythym(and some other clickety clack sound) in the rears. Then the vocal comes in up front. Then comes the drums in the rear with lead guitar up front. It's just fantastic to go through my station list and hear the separation. Mesmerizing actually. I need to set a time limit.

Somebody please listen the to the new Cars debut SACD through the SM and tell me how much more separation could be expected. Its alive!

I'm currently running CCR sacds though the SM v2. So far so good. Previously I upmixed them over HDMI to my amp (DTS upmix in amp).

IMG_20200530_160839.jpg
IMG_20200530_160856.jpg
IMG_20200530_160923.jpg
IMG_20200530_160941.jpg

Back