Nektar - Journey to the Centre of the Eye SACD+2CD reissued on 16/11/18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

Amazon's description:
A special SUPER AUDIO CD deluxe edition reissue of the 1972 debut album from prog rock legends, Nektar! This 3CD reissue brings back the incredible 2004 5.1 Mix on SACD that fans have been clamoring for PLUS the original stereo mix, bonus tracks and the FULL concert recording from the 1971 show in Germany that ranks among the band's biggest highlights!

Bottom line: pre-order price for 20 bucks (or even less, if you go with ImportCDs)!

Last edited:
This is very cool that this release is coming back into print after all these years.
Now if only they would do the same thing for the better album (and better surround mix) that is "Remember the Future".
Then I would be REALLY happy! :)

This is very cool that this release is coming back into print after all these years.
Now if only they would do the same thing for the better album (and better surround mix) that is "Remember the Future".
Then I would be REALLY happy! :)

Agree, its superior in all respects, I find too.. Nektar RTF surround adapted from the Quad, I think?

Wonder if this a label driven or artist driven reissue with the surround.. hmm..?

Edit: Would also be cool if they reissued the Nektar Live SACD set.. I've been holding out trying to find a set of that cheap for years to no avail..

Agree, its superior in all respects, I find too.. Nektar RTF surround adapted from the Quad, I think?

Yes, "Remember the Future" is adapted from the 1970s Quadraphonic mix, while "Journey to the Centre of the Eye" is a newer 5.1 mix created back in 2004. :)

I always wondered why the quad mix of 'Down To Earth' (1974) was never released as an SACD, maybe they can't find the 4 channel master? It was engineered by Barry Hammond (who also engineered some other quad stuff including Remember The Future, and some of the other Bacillus/Bellaphon German SQ quads and Bloodstone's 'Riddle Of The Sphinx' and Jimmy Witherspoons' 'Love Is Five Letter Word' amongst others) so it would probably be a pretty good listen if they could source it.

Maybe they'll fix the botched mastering they did on the SACD stereo mix back in 2004.

Great! Now they can proceed with one of my favourite albums of all time: Remember The Future!

Wonder if this a label driven or artist driven reissue with the surround.. hmm..?

Edit: Would also be cool if they reissued the Nektar Live SACD set.. I've been holding out trying to find a set of that cheap for years to no avail..

Put me down for those two SACD WANTS, as well.Missed out on them years back.
The band also mentioned in 03 or 04 I think that they were also going to issue a surround version of their latest "Evolution".? Wonder if it exsists as an unreleased 5.1 mix ?

Oh well , I'd just be happy with those two I missed and perhaps the unreleased quad-sacd of DTE.

I always wondered why the quad mix of 'Down To Earth' (1974) was never released as an SACD, maybe they can't find the 4 channel master? It was engineered by Barry Hammond (who also engineered some other quad stuff including Remember The Future, and some of the other Bacillus/Bellaphon German SQ quads and Bloodstone's 'Riddle Of The Sphinx' and Jimmy Witherspoons' 'Love Is Five Letter Word' amongst others) so it would probably be a pretty good listen if they could source it.

Is Down To Earth SQ or QS? (answered my own Qn. the original German LP is SQ and there is said to be an SQ encoded CD, which I think I might have..)

Both discs RTF &DTE were released as SQ on the German label, and SQ on the UK United Artists label, at least DTE was, never had a UK copy of RTF.

FWIW, Sansui announced the Sire/Passport discs (only released in North America) were QS encoded.There is a lot of speculation surrounding this claim, though.
I had, have an article that states Sire/Passport (North America) was issuing quad QS encoded discs alongside Larry Fasts Synergy and Fireballet.
I will do my best to dig up this (if I can find the bugger), but now accuracy from Sansui's 4 Channel Scene was not always a strong point.They blatantly announced Larry Fast's Sequencer was quad !! We know that's not true, the artist has confirmed that.

It may be more of a fact where artists in that Sire/Passport label were considering or mixed in quad but "not always got encoded" in QS .

I tried to like this album, but it's just a bit too out there for my liking. Like Trout Mask Replica. it's an aqiured taste.

And, did everyone know that one of their founders, Roye Albrighton passed away in July?

Seems the whole world of 60s and 70s music is passing on now. Yeah, 70s era checking out now is frightening. Life is getting lonelier ain't it.

I just got the new reissue of "Journey to the Centre of the Eye" in, and it DEFINITELY contains a 5.1 surround sound SACD.
The other two discs are regular audio CDs labeled "Recorded November 13, 1971 at Bessunger Turnhalle in Darmstadt, Germany"
The live audio on these two extra CDs must be from an audience bootleg because the quality is very poor, but the good news obviously is that yes, this is a 5.1 surround sound SACD that you can buy for $17 (or even less) so don't hesitate to get one! :)

Back