Jeff Beck's "Wired"....now available as multi-channel hybrid SACD from Japan Sony

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snood sounds like a good thread..... Who and where and when.......

It would be a great thread.....I had a thread on another forum....years ago. It was called GOS Live. :) I recorded videos of my everyday happenings...as insane as they were...and it was a LOT of fun. Good old days.

I hope I am not stepping on this post, but I need some help here... on Jeff Beck Wired Quad SACD from Sony Japan, second track "Come Dancing" at about 4:50 into the song, there is supposed to be a synth solo by Jan Hammer. I can barely hear it chirping from the back left channel. Anyone else have this problem? Is this something carried over from the quad masters or a freaky issue with my SACD copy? Beyond that, massively enjoying this SACD and the quad mix.

I hope I am not stepping on this post, but I need some help here... on Jeff Beck Wired Quad SACD from Sony Japan, second track "Come Dancing" at about 4:50 into the song, there is supposed to be a synth solo by Jan Hammer. I can barely hear it chirping from the back left channel. Anyone else have this problem? Is this something carried over from the quad masters or a freaky issue with my SACD copy? Beyond that, massively enjoying this SACD and the quad mix.

AFAIK, the original mix was that way.

Bump for Mediaversal :banana:

You can refrain from posting stupid memes if they are not directly relevant to the topic at hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I was just browsing the site while trying to enjoy my day off from work and was just having a bit of fun. As this is not a poll thread, I didn't think that little pic would be that out of line. I have gotten a lot of useful information from this site and appreciate everyone who participates, but I thought this was also, in a way, a social site and not just strictly for serious business. I also tend to be a rather silly person, so it's just in my nature to be that way. My silliness keeps me in my happy place. In the future if I visit this site, I will refrain from being silly from now on.

To Mediaversal, I just checked my copy and it's exactly like you said. Jan Hammer's keyboard solo on 'Come Dancing' in the left rear from 4:53 to 5:32 is extremely buried in the mix and quite thin. I have no idea if it's always been this way in the original quad mix, but according to kap'n krunch, it appears it may have been, but it's not just your copy that has this problem.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I was just browsing the site while trying to enjoy my day off from work and was just having a bit of fun. As this is not a poll thread, I didn't think that little pic would be that out of line. I have gotten a lot of useful information from this site and appreciate everyone who participates, but I thought this was also, in a way, a social site and not just strictly for serious business. I also tend to be a rather silly person, so it's just in my nature to be that way. My silliness keeps me in my happy place. In the future if I visit this site, I will refrain from being silly from now on.

I did not find it offensive, but it was just unnecessary, especially since it had nothing to do with the topic.
Of course we all can and should have fun on QQ, but all we ask of everyone is to think before posting because not everything belongs on here.

PSA Over & Done.
Resume listening.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good question Mediaversal and you would be correct in noticing that, so it is not your copy, unless it is a defect in everybody's copy. I studied your question a bit and have some notes.
I compared the stereo only AP release and Hammer's synth is left channel, as loud as right channel, playing at once with Beck on right. So nothing to notice there.
On the Japanese mch, I see your point, Hammer is rear left, albeit definitely there, but volume comes across much weaker compared to the stereo SACD. I did not try the stereo layer of the Japanese version.
My only other observation is that the stereo AP, albeit good in it's own right, sounds like a toy recording compared to the very mighty mch.
Thanks for the question, not sure I helped but at least I had another reason to listen to Wired and best is, it's not only your copy.

Snood just checked a digitzed copy of the original Q8 Quad me have and yes the synth solo on that track is buried pretty low at the 4:50 mark and beyond. It is audible but very low and hidden. So it is in the original quad mix. Nice catch Mediaversal :banana:

And welcome to the QQ forums :banana::banana::banana:

I'm a huge JB fan and decided to order this SACD (it was $70 here in Canada). I know the album well from vinyl and CD but never heard the quad mix. Hoping some QQ members have this in their collection and can opine on the sonics. Is this a good release???

71OtpTDJT5L._SL1417_.jpg

Hey Guys I'm working on a list at Discogs of actual 4.0 mixes on modern media:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Quadraphonic-40-Mixes-Available-on-Modern-Media/376249

This is my selfish way to create a shopping list of media that's a little more readily available that than the reels and 8-Tracks that are slowly bankrupting me.

Anyhow, I'm excluding this disc since it the original 4.0 was "manipulated" to 5.1. Its a shame seems like a lost opportunity since they could have included both Quad and the new 5.1 for the $$ they charge.

Regardless, is there a version of Wired that has the true 4.0 mix on it? I've scoured discogs and haven't seen it, even though Blow by Blow does (and seems to be the same format same company as the Wired release):

https://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Beck-Blow-By-Blow/release/7016529

Hope that makes sense, ultimately I'm looking a wired Release that does have a 4.0 mix.

https://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Beck-Blow-By-Blow/release/7016529

Anyhow, I'm excluding this disc since it the original 4.0 was "manipulated" to 5.1. Its a shame seems like a lost opportunity since they could have included both Quad and the new 5.1 for the $$ they charge.

Just shut the center off and you get the same old quad from SQ/Q8 in glorious Hi-Rez. This title (and the other Jeff beck quad discs from Sony Japan) absolutely belong on your list.

FWIW all versions of the BxB SACD (Sony US, Japan, AP) are the same quad mix with derived C/LFE. The only difference is the AP version fixed the out-of-phase rear channels.

Back