Jeff Beck's "Wired"....now available as multi-channel hybrid SACD from Japan Sony

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sophie Quad as on the new Surround SACD;

Channel assignment from top to bottom;
1 = FL,
2 = FR,
3 = C,
4 = LFE,
5 = SL,
6 = SR

The rears on this track is mostly ambiance noise which is strange as Bill mentioned considering how discrete the other tracks are. Maybe the mixer just wanted a change of pace from the rest of the tracks? I don't think it stands out like a sore thumb like Bill does but it would be nice to get some feedback on exactly the thinking that went into it and if it was indeed a problem with the multi track's. Thanks for posting them in Audacity

The rears on this track is mostly ambiance noise which is strange as Bill mentioned considering how discrete the other tracks are. Maybe the mixer just wanted a change of pace from the rest of the tracks? I don't think it stands out like a sore thumb like Bill does but it would be nice to get some feedback on exactly the thinking that went into it and if it was indeed a problem with the multi track's. Thanks for posting them in Audacity

You're extreeeemely welcome! No problem :)
I am (no big thing, its just how it is) very familiar with this Quad mix, it is one of my most played of all time, so I guess I've come to the new Surround JSACD with no big surprises, other than now its the best its ever been.. its like having the SQ LP only with better separation and better EQ and sound quality with the Q8's separation/discreteness only taken to the nth degree and similarly with eminently superior sound.

In an ideal world this superb album would have received a new 5.1 remix from the multi's but failing that (and never say never but I can't see it happening tbh) the old Quad in master tape quality has surely got to be the next best thing for us surround-heads and for doing so with this Surround SACD I apppalud/salute/love Sony Japan forever! :worthy :D

You guys need to review this one in the forum! (Only 4 or 5 reviews so far:))

Just got mine today :banana: all the way from Japan packed in nice sturdy box :banana:

along with Bent up Tull from BULLLLLMOOOOOOOOSE packed like sheeeeeeeet in bubble envelope :howl marked FRAGILE

LMAO :rolleyes:

Just got mine today :banana: all the way from Japan packed in nice sturdy box :banana:

along with Bent up Tull from BULLLLLMOOOOOOOOSE packed like sheeeeeeeet in bubble envelope :howl marked FRAGILE

LMAO :rolleyes:

Oh you got it but have not listen to it yet...

Anyone else get this and have opinions? Very few votes in the poll. I guess it's rare and going to stay that way for now.

I plan to do a more 'technical' review of this at some point like I did with the Beck, Bogert & Appice SACD, but in a nutshell this disc is every bit as good as the BBA SACD. The sound quality of the quad mix is far superior to the stereo version to the extent that I'd probably prefer to listen to a stereo folddown of the quad mix over the actual stereo mix. The stereo mix is really congested and midrangey whereas the quad mix is much more open with really nice treble (and especially) bass extension.

The only caveat with this is that the track Sophie is an upmix from the stereo version (as it was on the original Q8 and SQ LP) and there are a couple of other mixing differences, as someone mentioned on the other thread, including the lead synth being a bit buried on one of the tracks, but they're small quibbles in my opinion. I'm glad I'll never have to go back to the stereo mix again on this one.

Haha :yikes- mine is still wrapped. I really need to unwrap and give it a listen.

See? Unwrapped... :banana:

62392791-74BC-4EAB-BEDD-993CC489A47B.jpg

I gave it a first listen at the weekend, thought it sounded great, an album I've always loved, now in pristine Quad :banana:

A friend recently got the Wired JSACD and his thoughts are the similar to mine regarding the multichannel mix. He commented that it sounded like it was "recorded in a trash barrel". I agree with that comment 100%. We have almost identical systems with the Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Salk speakers and Wyred 4 Sound amps.

I just listened to the first three tracks and stopped it and ejected the disc. My thoughts haven't changed and now I tend to believe Wired is just a poor recording and the multichannel mix doesn't sound any better than the stereo mix. I know I'm in the minority on the overall SQ of the Wired JSACD multichannel mix. But it just sounds horrible IMO from an overall SQ aspect not just the placement of instruments in the mix. I was hoping that the multichannel mix would be incredible as it's one of my favorite albums of all time. But it's not to my ears unfortunately.

Bill

It's a bummer Bill Mac that is your experience. Not mine at all. I pretty much love all Japanese SACD recordings, except a few. All Jeff Beck's are sterling. The bullshit that Analogue Productions pulled with Blow By Blow for out of phase rears was rediculous. Only through critical listening with pen and paper could you tell the difference. Trust the Japanese they are good.

'Pen and paper'? The audible difference between BlowbyBlow out of phase,and BbB in phase, is not subtle.

Totally, agree...$50 is WAY TOO MUCH for ONE disc..I'd understand maybe $35 for the extra stuff, which, if it were a REAL BIG POSTER or something really cool, THEN I'd reconsider....

Back