Jeff Beck's "Wired"....now available as multi-channel hybrid SACD from Japan Sony

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had it listed soon. CD Japan might have gotten the scoop on it first because they're a Japanese company. You might see it listed on Amazon and other retailers soon. I just checked for the Japanese Blow By Blow SACD and found it on Amazon, Deep Discount, Import CDs & Bull Moose so it makes sense that those places would carry the Wired SACD as well.

Apart from CD Japan, there are independent retailers based in the Far East that will stock this (from whom I've bought a few things and always had low postage, reasonably fast shipping and no customs charges) and a couple of them are showing you can pre-order from them already.. but as much as I almost cannot wait to hear this in all its Surround SACD glory, I don't want to tie up £60 right now (or whatever it works out as) in a pre-order for the next 2 months since I could buy about 6-8 nice Quad LPs from my wants list with that money today if I shop around and they would all be of Quad stuff I haven't heard before so it would be half a dozen plus albums of genuinely new surround music.. we all have our own personal take on why we do and don't buy these things either at the time of release or down the line, there you go, tawdry tales of Freddums! :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if they had it listed soon. CD Japan might have gotten the scoop on it first because they're a Japanese company. You might see it listed on Amazon and other retailers soon. I just checked for the Japanese Blow By Blow SACD and found it on Amazon, Deep Discount, Import CDs & Bull Moose so it makes sense that those places would carry the Wired SACD as well.

The problem is that vendors like Deep Discount and ImportCD do have the Japanese mch SACD (yeah,the one with the out of phase rears) of Blow by Blow listed for $57 but it's been on backorder forever. AmazonUS usually gouges their customers on these Japanese Imports so I wouldn't trust them either. So we're really at the mercy of CDJapan if we want to ensure timely delivery of the upcoming WIRED before it goes OOP.

I'm not taking ANY chances.

The problem is that vendors like Deep Discount and ImportCD do have the Japanese mch SACD (yeah,the one with the out of phase rears) of Blow by Blow listed for $57 but it's been on backorder forever. AmazonUS usually gouges their customers on these Japanese Imports so I wouldn't trust them either. So we're really at the mercy of CDJapan if we want to ensure timely delivery of the upcoming WIRED before it goes OOP.

I'm not taking ANY chances.

None of the others in this wee series have gone out of print so far (afaik, have they?).. we should be ok hanging it out til November on this one, I think.. (well I hope so anyway! :eek: )

Well I ordered one last night and CD Japan showed that only 14 pre-order quantity remained. I am not sure if this is a single run or more will come.

At any rate, with shipping it was $67!! Sixty Seven Dollars!!!! :yikes

Well I ordered one last night and CD Japan showed that only 14 pre-order quantity remained. I am not sure if this is a single run or more will come.

:yikesThat is weird Jon - I ordered mine Friday last week and was about 54 bux with shipping all together. Which shipping option did you choose? How much was shipping?

Thanks for the tip off Jon, much appreciated :upthumb

Man.. only 14 copies left though eh..!?

Gotta say that's more limited than I'd have imagined in my wildest dreams!
(I notice all but one of the sellers in the Far East that I had on "Watch" have sold out their pre-orders btw.. and the one on eBay that says they've got 5 copies left for pre-order would be even bigger a cash clobberer, at approx £60 a piece to the UK..)

Ugh.. the harsh realisation of this is it means exactly what I wanted to avoid, £50 blinking quid tied up for the best part of 2 months on a (hopefully amazing.. well, it better be! :D ) glorified CD with a load of flashy packaging stuff I don't want or need.. the equivalent of $67 U.S. dollars might be small beer to some but the other half nearly croaked it this year so am sole bread winner now.. as happy as I am that Sony are doing these wonderful Quads on SACD and totally thrilled about Wired Quad happening in particular, I think I am going to have to scale back on this beloved hobby, my pockets ain't deep enough to keep up with you all! :p

Sorry to be a moaning minnie.. of course its a 1st World problem when one's even debating with one's self and one's online chums about splashing out on a 50 quid CD.. and I'm not quite in the gutter because of all this multichannel madness (yet).. but sheesh if I hear that line "nobody wants that Quad stuff.." blah blah blah trotted out again, I'll thcweam and I'll thcweam til I'm thick.. I mean, somebody's buying this stuff.. are they all Stereo only listeners and/or Jeff beck fans? I sincerely doubt that to be the case.. I'd love to be proven wrong though..!! :confused:

I'm waiting, I need to put a cap on my spending..out of control. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here Gene.. but I'd get even more out of control if I missed out on this one..
I mean I've only played that SQ record like 4,444,444 times (approximately :eek: ) since I got it last year! :eek:

I just looked at the CD Japan web page again and there is no mention of the '14 pre-orders left', so who knows?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10004

NOTE: The above link is not an endorsement or revenue generating link. Order at your own risk. Your results may vary. No speakers or decoders were abused in creating this post. All rights reserved. When visiting Universal, ask for "Babs"..........

Man.. only 14 copies left though eh..!?

Gotta say that's more limited than I'd have imagined in my wildest dreams!

What I get from this is simply that Wired is a much more anticipated and popular title than those recently released. I think most of these Japanese discs are limited and you basically have to buy it as soon as you see it. Some titles will give you the impression that they're not as limited simply because they'll take a little longer to sell.

This also doesn't mean that they won't repress, but you can't take that for granted.

Outrageous price, but all things considered this is one I'd want in the collection and not just as a PlayStation rip. There are not that many releases that that are worth such high price. I pray that the sound quality leaves nothing to be desired.

So preorders are selling out, not the entire run correct?

What I get from this is simply that Wired is a much more anticipated and popular title than those recently released. I think most of these Japanese discs are limited and you basically have to buy it as soon as you see it. Some titles will give you the impression that they're not as limited simply because they'll take a little longer to sell.

This also doesn't mean that they won't repress, but you can't take that for granted.

Thank you Simon.

fwiw, I do have a rough idea kinda how that stuff works already.. I first started importing video games from Japan in 1989, starting with NEC's PC Engine, for which you could never get the console, peripherals or games in this country, it was a right old hassle - and expensive to a 13 year old kid saving up his pocket money for that Japanese-exclusive crap.. but thankfully I had a very hip, very kind and loving (and understanding!) Grandpa who used to help me with all the logistics of it and help me fund it, I will never forget that wonderful man.. I miss him every day. I bet he is playing Gunhed in Heaven now!

Anyway, I digress, sorry.. :eek: ..it was just the seemingly ultra limited nature of this Wired SACD that shocked me.. I mean, only 14 copies left..!?

Bloody hell, even at these astronomical prices there are clearly gonna be some disappointed people come release day, even if there is a repress down the line..

What's that you say?

Demand outstrips supply with Surround music yet again..?

Surely not! :confused:

I just looked at the CD Japan web page again and there is no mention of the '14 pre-orders left', so who knows?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10004

NOTE: The above link is not an endorsement or revenue generating link. Order at your own risk. Your results may vary. No speakers or decoders were abused in creating this post. All rights reserved. When visiting Universal, ask for "Babs"..........

Oh that Babs..

latest

...she's a hard little bunny to track down, she's always flitting about the place with Buster! :banana:

Thank you Simon.

fwiw, I do have a rough idea kinda how that stuff works already.. I first started importing video games from Japan in 1989, starting with NEC's PC Engine, for which you could never get the console, peripherals or games in this country, it was a right old hassle - and expensive to a 13 year old kid saving up his pocket money for that Japanese-exclusive crap.. but thankfully I had a very hip, very kind and loving (and understanding!) Grandpa who used to help me with all the logistics of it and help me fund it, I will never forget that wonderful man.. I miss him every day. I bet he is playing Gunhed in Heaven now!

Anyway, I digress, sorry.. :eek: ..it was just the seemingly ultra limited nature of this Wired SACD that shocked me.. I mean, only 14 copies left..!?

Bloody hell, even at these astronomical prices there are clearly gonna be some disappointed people come release day, even if there is a repress down the line..

What's that you say?

Demand outstrips supply with Surround music yet again..?

Surely not! :confused:

Your Grandfather sure sounded like a sweet man. :)

I just had another thought. Maybe that counter is for another purpose.

CDJapan often gives bonus gifts with certain pre-orders. I've recently purchased the Japan version of The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl (not for the bonus but because of the larger size sleeve like it was the case with the 2009 remasters). A few days before shipping the page indicated that there were 11 copies left that came with the bonus photo. So maybe that counter is used for that purpose but since those Beck SACDs do not come with a bonus item, this makes the mention of the remaining copies rather useless. Makes sense?

In another thread I said "I would pay extra for an album I want" and I just preordered WIRED and am looking forward to hearing it in QUAD!

But the cdjapan.co.jp site say the multichannel content is in 5.1 "translated" from the original quad master.

That's actually not what it says:

"The disc is divided into two layers as follows: SACD (5.1ch) and CD. The CD layer uses audio source translated from SACD (2ch). Both layers feature the latest remastering. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging. Japanese original release."

That's actually not what it says:

"The disc is divided into two layers as follows: SACD (5.1ch) and CD. The CD layer uses audio source translated from SACD (2ch). Both layers feature the latest remastering. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging. Japanese original release."

I prefer this post. I will get to enjoy a surround Wired regardless.

But the cdjapan.co.jp site say the multichannel content is in 5.1 "translated" from the original quad master.

Could mean that the center and lfe channels are filled in from the quad mix. Same quad master with additional info from the 4.0 added to the remaining two channels.

Not sure how I feel about this added step, for dts discs it makes less sense because of the limited bits to go around. For SACD's, that isn't a problem, but the additional process seems needless. I am still on the fence on this subject. Final result, however achieved, is all that matters.

Back