Jeff Beck's "Wired"....now available as multi-channel hybrid SACD from Japan Sony

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a shipped notice from CD Japan, but no package, then through the post this morning an invoice from the courier for £11.33 Import VAT (no problem with that) and an additional £13.50 Tax Clearance fee which is exorbitant. So it costs £13.50 to handle getting tax, all that happens is a parcel is scanned at the depot, its value is typed in, as is its a CD, and the software generates and sends an invoice, you pay on-line, the couriers software says you've paid and automatically sends the tax to HMR&C - a nice profit in there I think, why can't I charge £13.50 every time I pay a bill on-line? So I'll have to wait until the on-line payment has cleared before they'll deliver my copy of Wired. Grrrr! :(

Yes, it's time to vote on Jeff Beck's Wired in SACD Surround Sound.
Sounds like a "10" here. :)

Well, I cannot vote a '10' on it until I receive it!
(Well OK I could vote without hearing it but that would be irresponsible voting…)
However, I hope to have my SACD in hand this weekend!
In the meantime, I can enjoy my recently acquired "Beck, Bogert & Appice" SACD.

:)

two wrongs don't make a right but if you look at it from the angle that if this Quad had hypothetically been given the SACD treatment by Sony 15 years ago, copies on the aftermarket now would more than likely exceed $50 (I'm thinking of things like 3+3, Ship Ahoy, etc.. and I believe this title would have been much more sought after than either of those, so $50 at this stage would have been a potential bargain).. just hypothesising :eek:

Well, the Blow By Blow SACD with quad mix did get reissued not once more but twice. It's always been an audiophile evergreen on LPs and CDs anyway.

"Wired" is much less likely to get another SACD reissue not because it is not an audio evergreen like BBB is, but because we are finding ourselves at the end of the physical media era.

I really think the Sony had to charge nearly double the standard price for this disc. The shrinking of the surround market means fewer units sold. This higher price means the equivalent of double the sales numbers.

I hope that Sony does release more of these, and that they get the $50 retail price that they need, so long as the titles are all A-List selections.

Well it looks like those of us who ordered this SACD from US retailers will have to wait a while before it comes in…
amazon, Best Buy (who has a great price of $48.99), and Bull Moose are all showing this SACD as "Out of Stock" at the moment, meaning they never got any copies in to begin with.
And I was really looking forward to hearing it this weekend. Oh well…

Ok now that this is shipped and some even have their copy - it's time for the next quad 4.0 SACD announcement from Sony or Audio Fidelity, or maybe Analogue Productions has another H. Hancock title that they were thinking about. Or does Rhino / Warner have a Christmas surprise in store for us.

I don't care where it comes from I just want my vintage quad

See, we all knew it was time for more surround titles in 4.0 and 5.1 to be announced. And a good batch of Easy Listening / R&B is nice too, but what we needed most and needed fast is some vintage Pink Floyd mixed to surround perfection right about now.

Ok, so Meddle and Wired both arriving within a month, or I mean a week of each other, I think this takes the cake for best surround releases of the year!!! These two and AF's BOC are actually top titles for the rocker inner-child in many of us.

It really gets no better than this for rock in surround!!!

Since Best Buy (where I ordered "Wired" from) is showing that the SACD is currently backordered, I do not know when they will actually be able to ship it to me.
Therefore, I found a Discogs seller selling a mint copy of the SACD for 30 pounds (plus shipping) so I'll see if I can get the SACD sooner from there.

Since Best Buy (where I ordered "Wired" from) is showing that the SACD is currently backordered, I do not know when they will actually be able to ship it to me.
Therefore, I found a Discogs seller selling a mint copy of the SACD for 30 pounds (plus shipping) so I'll see if I can get the SACD sooner from there.

And it worked!
30 pounds for the disc, plus 6 pounds for shipping. Convert that to USD and it ended up being a $46 transaction for me.
Keep in mind that Best Buy were charging $49 for the disc, plus I had to pay around $4 in sales tax bringing that total to around $53, and they were saying they could not get the disc to me until January, so the fact that I am now paying less for the disc and I will get it sooner makes me one happy panda! :)

And it worked!
30 pounds for the disc, plus 6 pounds for shipping. Convert that to USD and it ended up being a $46 transaction for me.
Keep in mind that Best Buy were charging $49 for the disc, plus I had to pay around $4 in sales tax bringing that total to around $53, and they were saying they could not get the disc to me until January, so the fact that I am now paying less for the disc and I will get it sooner makes me one happy panda! :)

Nice work Ryan. Yeah, mine says backordered...even though when I placed the order, it said no such thing...

Nice work Ryan. Yeah, mine says backordered...even though when I placed the order, it said no such thing...

It looks like it's currently on backorder from a lot of US retailers. Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, amazon, Bull Moose, etc. all say backordered so it was just my luck that I found the Discogs listing for less.
I really can't wait to hear this one! "Beck, Bogert & Appice" is pretty good, but this one should really be a great one to have! :)

It looks like it's currently on backorder from a lot of US retailers. Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, amazon, Bull Moose, etc. all say backordered so it was just my luck that I found the Discogs listing for less.
I really can't wait to hear this one! "Beck, Bogert & Appice" is pretty good, but this one should really be a great one to have! :)

Are you of the opinion that all these backorders will eventually be honored? Any chance it will never materialize?

Are you of the opinion that all these backorders will eventually be honored? Any chance it will never materialize?

I don't have a crystal ball so your guess is as good as mine.
What's likely to happen is the orders will eventually come in to the US, but it will be a month or two before that happens, so if you can find a good deal from somewhere that can get you the disc sooner, go for it! :)

I don't have a crystal ball so your guess is as good as mine.
What's likely to happen is the orders will eventually come in to the US, but it will be a month or two before that happens, so if you can find a good deal from somewhere that can get you the disc sooner, go for it! :)

I got my delay notice from Best Buy on the 11th, and today they've updated the status on my order to "preparing" for shipment. I put my order in on 4 October...

Mine ordered 10/10 from Amazon, on 11/11 notified of back order with no new ship date. Wonder if anyone got a set from Amazon US ?
Updated ship date now 12/6, we will see. May also look elsewhere as new or used but have noticed resales at 80.00

Mine ordered 10/10 from Amazon, on 11/11 notified of back order with no new ship date. Wonder if anyone got a set from Amazon US ?
Updated ship date now 12/6, we will see. May also look elsewhere as new or used but have noticed resales at 80.00

The best price I've seen is ImportCD which still lists WIRED as backordered: http://www.importcds.com/wired-sacd-hybrid/4547366270730

With current TAKE10 [10% off] promo code, the price is $40.55 + s/h....and certain states ARE subject to sales tax, as well.

Check out their prices on Audio Fidelity and MoFi titles, as well. Some of THE lowest prices on the internet and with the 10% of sale (thru Nov. 22) UNBEATABLE! http://www.importcds.com/music/sacd

I got my delay notice from Best Buy on the 11th, and today they've updated the status on my order to "preparing" for shipment. I put my order in on 4 October...

Cool, but I'm still glad I went with the Discogs seller instead of Best Buy.
It ended up being cheaper that way, and it's already on its way to me! :)

Is this available as a download? (Officially for money.)

I'm not interested in investing in a Playstation3 or an Oppo today (or tomorrow either). But I would purchase a download and convert the DSD files to PCM to listen to.

Is this available as a download? (Officially for money.)

I'm not interested in investing in a Playstation3 or an Oppo today (or tomorrow either). But I would purchase a download and convert the DSD files to PCM to listen to.

As a surround sound download? No, that doesn't exist. There are high-res stereo download options available.

Back