Would you pay extra for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay extra for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD?

• Total voters

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
All the processes and so on required to bring about a Surround SACD on Audio Fidelity costs the label extra money to make it happen..

Would you be prepared to pay more for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD than a Stereo only Audio Fidelity SACD?

YES..?

or

NO..?

This hypothetical question is completely of my own accord, not solicited by Audio Fidelity nor anyone connected with them, nor Jon or QQ at all.

Just something I've been thinking about for a little while.. and now seeing how many people here are seemingly willing to pay $49 for the right Surround albums & artists (Sony Japan's upcoming Surround SACD of Jeff Beck's "Wired") it seemed a good time to ask here.

Thanks..! :upthumb

Last edited:
Ps. I should add, posing the question is completely of my own accord, not solicited by AF nor anyone connected with them, nor Jon or QQ at all
(just something I've been thinking about for a little while.. and now seeing how many people here are willing to pay $49 for the right Surround albums & artists, seemed the right time to ask around..)

I think it's worth a $50 bill. But- I agree with snooder it depends on the title and artist

Yes, but it has to be more mainstream as you've suggested.

I wonder what the price ceiling is for possible future AF surround product..?

I mean, if Audio Fidelity were to do very limited print runs of premium product like these Sony Japan Jeff Beck 7" SACDs, of major artists like Aerosmith, Santana, Edgar Winter, etc.. and the SACDs had the Surround/Quad on them.. what would be your limit?

Bearing in mind these Japanese Sony SACDs are $49 US (£37 GBP) before shipping etc..
and currently an AF SACD whether its surround or not retails at $24.99-$31 on Amazon.com..

..my question is; Would you stretch to $40 for an AF SACD with Surround on it..?

I think it's worth a $50 bill. But- I agree with snooder it depends on the title and artist

Ok, so that's 5 of us so far who would splash out more for Surround on an AF SACD.

Thanks everyone so far :)

I think I will try and start a QQ Poll on it now (wish me luck, I am technically useless! or rather useless technically.. or both! :D ) and try to open the question & debate out for a wider response.

I think the Sony Beck QUAD SACDs are premium priced because of the elaborate packaging and I'm sure if you polled enough potential QUAD buyers, they'd much rather have the plain AF slipcase packaging [or NOT] versus paying upwards of $20 more for designer enclosures.

Same analogy applies to box sets with marbles, scarves, coasters, etc. I just want the QUAD/Surround disc and if I want scarves, marbles or coasters I'll go to a local boutique and buy them separately.

And would I pay a premium price for certain artists in surround...........Sure, why not. It's ONLY money!

Thank you Ralph.

I'm thinking: forego the elaborate packaging of the Sony Japan Surround SACDs,.. Just theoretically would you pay more for AF discs if they were Surround rather than Stereo only but still in the same packaging as they are now.. is the gist of where I'm coming from at the moment.

..my question is; Would you stretch to $40 for an AF SACD with Surround on it..?

I would pay top dollar for ANY label to remaster and reissue the Quadraphonic mix of "Blue Jays" by Justin Hayward & John Lodge! (Moody Blues-offshoot)
But other than that title, I ideally would not want to pay more than $20-30 per Quad mix.

(Also, I would definitely be willing to pay $100 for a Blu-Ray Quadio box set from the Doobie Brothers!) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Ralph.

I'm thinking: forego the elaborate packaging of the Sony Japan Surround SACDs,.. Just theoretically would you pay more for AF discs if they were Surround rather than Stereo only but still in the same packaging as they are now.. is the gist of where I'm coming from at the moment.

ABSOLUTELY. Especially when considering AF's stellar track record and am looking forward to AF's upcoming double Stereo SACD remaster of Santana's Lotus for $40
  • especially considering they valiantly searched for the missing QUAD masters. Guarantee the street price (ImportCDs, i.e.) will be $25 or $26 which roughly translates to $13 per SACD (and it WAS a triple LP).

IMO, AF IS our ONLY hope, at present, in delivering the QUAD goods as if one notices, the newer SACD reissue companies like Analogue Sparks/Razor & Tie are producing STEREO SACDs ONLY even though there was a QUAD/5.1 master of both Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell and The Sound of Music.

I would pay top dollar for ANY label to remaster and reissue the Quadraphonic mix of "Blue Jays" by Justin Hayward & John Lodge! (Moody Blues-offshoot)
But other than that title, I ideally would not want to pay more than $20-30 per Quad mix.

(Also, I would definitely be willing to pay $100 for a Blu-Ray Quadio box set from the Doobie Brothers!) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great response Ryan! Thank you.

The Blue Jays Quad is lovely! I'd snap that up on an AF SACD in a heartbeat, even if it meant throwing down a few more quid you wouldn't hear me quibble...!!

Do you think it might be good idea to start a QQ Poll on this subject?

Just a simple thing like "Would you pay extra for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD over an Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD?"

Options = Yes & No..

..and just let the conversation flow..?

(Ps. A "Doobies Quadio" Box just has to be the best solution for that artist and those mixes.. I think a box of Doobies Quadio would do good business for Rhino at this point..)

All the processes and so on required to bring about a Surround SACD on Audio Fidelity costs the label extra money to make it happen..

Would you be prepared to pay more for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD than a Stereo only Audio Fidelity SACD?

YES..?

or

NO..?

This is a purely "Hypothetical Question"..

..completely of my own making, unprompted by any external influence, with no prompting from Audio Fidelity or anyone connected with Audio Fidelity, nor QQ Jon, nor anyone else connected with QQ in any way.

Thanks! :upthumb

Over to you..

All the processes and so on required to bring about a Surround SACD on Audio Fidelity costs the label extra money to make it happen.. Would you be prepared to pay more for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD than a Stereo only Audio Fidelity SACD?

To christen your NEW thread....YES, FRED, a thousand times YES. IMO, AF is the ONLY reissue label who cares about Quality QUAD/5.1 releases as I mentioned on another thread that even the newer SACD reissue companies like Analogue Sparks/Razor & Tie are reissuing Stereo only SACDs when QUAD/5.1 masters DO exist (Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell & The Sound Of Music come to mind).

Now do I get a gourmet cookie or designer scarf for my RAPID response?:ugham:

To christen your NEW thread....YES, FRED, a thousand times YES. IMO, AF is the ONLY reissue label who cares about Quality QUAD/5.1 releases as I mentioned on another thread that even the newer SACD reissue companies like Analogue Sparks/Razor & Tie are reissuing Stereo only SACDs when QUAD/5.1 masters DO exist (Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell & The Sound Of Music come to mind).

Now do I get a gourmet cookie or designer scarf for my RAPID response?:ugham:

Thank you Ralph.

Could you please cast your "YES" vote, in the little box above?

I voted YES.....but it's a conditional YES. Basically the more expensive the title, the less likely I will be to spend the money for a title I only have a marginal interest in. However, I would certainly spend the cash to get 4.0 SACDs of some of my favorites like Turnstiles, Piano Man, Blue Jays, etc.... Not to mention some of the rumored unreleased quads like ELO's El Dorado or Rundgren's Initiation.

I voted YES.....but it's a conditional YES. Basically the more expensive the title, the less likely I will be to spend the money for a title I only have a marginal interest in. However, I would certainly spend the cash to get 4.0 SACDs of some of my favorites like Turnstiles, Piano Man, Blue Jays, etc.... Not to mention some of the rumored unreleased quads like ELO's El Dorado or Rundgren's Initiation.

This.

I voted no, reason is AF, and thank God for them, is still a niche market and they could ruin themselves. Also what they have released in stereo and mch is more of soft rock, lets say compared to classic rock. When classic rock gets mentioned on QQ it really gets people going, whereas a lot of AF soft rock or obscure rock fits even less people in an already niche market. It's up to them and I am sure they are making money but as I see it I don't want to blindly support them to charge more money for more of what they have been doing. Now Acoustic Sounds and Japanese releases are fewer but they can really release some blockbusters, and most rock artists love that Japanese market.

Back