Would you pay extra for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay extra for an Audio Fidelity Surround SACD?

• Total voters
Blrac - your post is spot in IMO. Even my best friend who LOVES surround in general (movies, music) simply refuses to spend any money on purchases a surround version of something he already purchased back in the day. He's frugal and spiteful that way...yet he has a multi-thousand dollar system and wouldn't think twice about switching speakers every 3 years. So, how do I know he love surround music if he never buys it?? Well.....I take my discs to his house and he always is blown away. But spending his own money on it? No chance.

There's at least a few realistic titles in that list, and those are "Holiday" by America and "Native Sons" by Loggins & Messina. (Boy, if AF end up releasing "Holiday" as a stereo-only SACD, that will really be the final straw as far as I'm concerned…)
The others are either tied up with licensing issues (Eagles, EWF, Billy Joel, Santana) or they may not be big enough titles for AF to make a decent profit on. (Though I would love some Seals & Crofts releases from AF.)

:)

I sincerely hope they don't do America's Holiday as Stereo only..
..but IF they v.regrettably did, not least because it is another wonderful Quad very much deserving of the AF surround reissue treatment,
it might also give you an idea how poor old Freddums here felt about RTF & WR.. for once I'm actually being serious, I felt crushed even just seeing the gold slipcases on the image mockups go up on the Amazon pre-orders the other day.. :violin )

Is there a problem with EWF Spirit Quad?
Hope not.. that's a pretty big title and never been done by anyone one SACD before.. and one of my favourites (and another excellent example of Larry Keyes' surround mixing abilities.. the Quad is excellent imho).

+1 to Seals & Crofts too.. Lets have all their Quads in a Quadio Blu-ray set and be done with it, if they're non-starters for AF of course, in which case if AF would consider them in Surround I'd be equally as happy to see them do it/them! ;)

I voted yes because I have been paying more, imho. $30 for a disc is very expensive if you ask me. Granted I typically get most of them for less. I even spend that on titles that aren't my cup of tea, just to support the releases. I don't want to show my displeasure of the the format by boycotting the releases, as I am thankful that there are new releases. Rather I think a poll like this or some type of positive feedback with the caveat of releasing more mainstream music would be more constructive.

I used to wish that someone like Taylor Swift would get on board with hi res and/or surround releases, but ultimately realized what a waste that would be. The younger generation doesn't care for quality as shown by the popularity of shitty headphones and playback devices, not home stereo or theater systems, and in mp3 formats. My kids love the surround music I occasionally play for them, and i have expanded their listening genres a bit in doing so, but it is not something that is of particular interest to them. Even my friends love it, but they would never invest what I have to hear it the same way. I have attempted to persuade them, and others, to get some new bda surround music and use their cheap home theater cube surround speakers just to hear the separation. Even that simple of a thing seems to be too much because the next feedback I get is that the releases are way too expensive. I can persuade and convince them with a lot of things, but can't rationalize or justify to them about having to pay 2 to 3 times as much for bda as the regular cd cost. No matter who the artist would be. That has been my typical brick wall so to speak. I have convinced by letting them hear my setup, talking about how great Hi Rez surround music is, but the price point ruins my whole sales pitch.

So my yes vote in reality has been overwhelmingly defeated by people not on this site that never bought anything in surround because they never will due to the price point of the media, much less a better home stereo setup. I know this may be a bit off point, but I thought about this after i voted and wanted to throw this variable in there as well. We here will typically see things differently because of a passion we have, and I wanted to share my experience with others concerning this. Honestly, i don'tknow if there is a price at which they would purchase surround music. And I am positive they can't or won't upgrade any equipment to make it sound even better. I posted a suggestion quite a while ago on SW's page here about advertising his music on Blu ray movie discs with the movie previews, thinking that he could have a screen with some info showing while one or more of his songs plays in surround, with his excellent separation and quality. I thought that would be a great way to expose potentially milions of people to surround music. Surely someone who heard it would be interested and join our ranks, but alas, it hasn't happened....yet. i still stand by that but obviously don't know the cost effectiveness or practicality of it.

Regardless, to me the bottom line is that there is a small market for surround music. Clearly the record companies and artists know we exist and that we already do spend more for the higher quality and surround releases. Some get it and appreciate us for trying to hear their music they way they want it to be heard and others are greedy or don't care. Either way, we are not enough to dictate much so we take what is delivered to us and like it, or not. Hopefully a poll like this will help show whomever reads it how we feel and why. Just my thoughts, all 100000000 words of it :confused:

Brilliant post, thank you! :)

You can share another 100000000 words of your thoughts with me anytime! :upthumb

Is there a problem with EWF Spirit Quad?
Hope not.. that's a pretty big title and never been done by anyone one SACD before.. and one of my favourites (and another excellent example of Larry Keyes' surround mixing abilities.. the Quad is excellent imho).

Not that I know of. I was referring more specifically to "That's the Way of the World" in Sergio's post. Titles like "Holiday" and "Spirit" are ones that AF just have to release as Multichannel SACDs. It would make no sense to go back to stereo for those two after the others have been Multichannel!

Also, I completely agree with those who point out that there are lots of great DVD-A/V and Blu-Ray releases (like the ones from King Crimson, Yes, XTC, Gentle Giant, etc.) that are relatively inexpensive and offer a lot more content compared to these SACD releases from Audio Fidelity, but at the same time, I also agree that SACD is the format of choice for AF and similar reissue labels, so discussion of any other formats in a thread like this is definitely a more futile point.

Carry on! :)

Absolutely! :upthumb
In a way I wish it were not so because I have gone through many up's and down's over the years in my love/hate relationship with SACD..
(without boring anyone or going OT.. initially avoided SACDs because they required yet another new player at the time and having splurged out in the space of a few years on Dolby Digital for LaserDisc and all the equipment that entailed, then DVD, then DTS, then DVD-Audio, really it was crucifying me as a kid paying for all that stuff.. but I stuck with it somewhat to hear what I really wanted to at the time.. when the Elton 5.1's were to be SACD only, that was the beginning of feeling forced/compelled to start getting SACDs.. it was years before I got to hear the SACDs I'd been picking up in Surround once I'd finally got an affordable ok-ish quality universal SACD/DVD-A player.. then around 5 or 6 years ago I was hooked on SACD and really started hoovering up as many as I could find, discovering so so many wonderful yet sadly out of print and often pricey surround titles exclusive to the SACD format.. now I'm a tiny bit out of love with SACD all over again, mostly since its a total bloody hassle getting it on the computer, among other things and I now do most Surround Music listening thru the computer, so that's one of the reasons I'm happy now more than ever to settle for DVD-V or preferably DVD-A and Blu-ray.. but SACD is what AF and other audiophile labels give us, so I suck it up and buy the SACDs.. like old times the desire to hear this stuff is so strong for me it has to transcend tribalism or format flag waving! anyway.... back to the discussion, sorry everyone, just rambling when I should be working, as usual! :eek: )

Not that I know of. I was referring more specifically to "That's the Way of the World" in Sergio's post. Titles like "Holiday" and "Spirit" are ones that AF just have to release as Multichannel SACDs. It would make no sense to go back to stereo for those two after the others have been Multichannel!

Hear hear! :upthumb

We would need several strong Scotch whiskies (or whatever your poison) to drown our collective sorrows if Holiday & Spirit were to be Stereo only.. :friday:

Also, I completely agree with those who point out that there are lots of great DVD-A/V and Blu-Ray releases (like the ones from King Crimson, Yes, XTC, Gentle Giant, etc.) that are relatively inexpensive and offer a lot more content compared to these SACD releases from Audio Fidelity, but at the same time, I also agree that SACD is the format of choice for AF and similar reissue labels, so discussion of any other formats in a thread like this is definitely a more futile point.

Carry on! :)
Ok, will not comment in this topic anymore.

Voted no, because:
1) at the current price they're already almost three times the cost of regular albums, here in Germany
2) somehow I'd have less of an issue spending more money if the artwork didn't look so cheap. That faux silver, faux stickered outer sleeve + grey-brown jewel case tray annoys me every time. Sorry. I'm fully aware that to some a paper sleeve feels cheap, while others (me) just don't like plastic. AF though, just seems to take the worst from both worlds.
c) Most stuff on AF is way out of my usual territory anyway. Only the dearth of surround releases got me to explore these – which I am totally thankful for because I never would have discovered a lot of those gems otherwise. Also I seem to be a sucker for supporting doomed but laudable endeavours and that's what I'd call the resurrection of 70's quad.

All that aside, there are definitely a few quad releases I would pay extra for.

And as has been mentioned: Charging say 10 additional bucks to make a dozen surround geeks happy won't do any good if it spooks 300 of the two-eared folks.

This thread reminds me how totally selfish I really am. I could care less about the future generation and what they get. I only care about myself, and what I get before I get in that box 6 feet under. LOL!

Just give me some Sabbath in Quad, charge me a few more dollars and I'll go to my grave (Children of the Grave that is...) a happy camper.

Yeah, tongue in cheek post...but you get my drift. :)

I'll pay $40 or more for these Surround SACD albums if Audio Fidelity release them

AMERICA - Holiday
THE CAPTAIN & TENNILLE - Love Will Keep Us Together
EAGLES - On the Border
EAGLES - One of These Nights
EARTH, WIND & FIRE - That's the Way of the World
EARTH, WIND & FIRE - Spirit
BILLY JOEL - Piano Man
BILLY JOEL - Turnstiles
BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Creedence Gold
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - All The Girls In The World Beware!!!
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - Shinin' On
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - We're An American Band
GORDON LIGHTFOOT - Sundown
JACKSON 5 - Greatest Hits
JIM CROCE - Photographs & Memories / His Greatest Hits
LOGGINS & MESSINA - Native Sons
THE MANHATTANS - It Feels So Good
BARRY MANILOW - II
BARRY MANILOW - This One's for You
BARRY MANILOW - Tryin' to Get the Feeling
PAUL MAURIAT & ORCHESTRA - Best Of Best
PAUL MAURIAT & ORCHESTRA - Love Themes Collection
RARE EARTH - Get Ready
SANTANA - (Any album)
SEALS & CROFTS - Diamond Girl
SEALS & CROFTS - Summer Breeze
BARBRA STREISAND - (Any Album)

A more completed list, I like to dream on...... in Surround :):):)

:cool:

Regards,

Last edited:
Ok, will not comment in this topic anymore.

Well things can change Robert.. and if enough of us vote with our wallets, then SACD doesn't necessarily have to be the dominant format for these kinds of audiophile reissues in the future.. I'm keeping an open mind about all that stuff.. in the here and now it seems the labels like SACD, so we either take it or leave it I guess and if you choose to leave it on that basis I respect you for that 100% even if I would not do the same at this stage :)

Well things can change Robert.. and if enough of us vote with our wallets, then SACD doesn't necessarily have to be the dominant format for these kinds of audiophile reissues in the future.. I'm keeping an open mind about all that stuff.. in the here and now it seems the labels like SACD, so we either take it or leave it I guess and if you choose to leave it on that basis I respect you for that 100% even if I would not do the same at this stage :)

It's a VERY DIFFICULT CHOICE!!!

SACDs
AND
DVD-As
need dedicated players

BUT
BDs players are much cheaper then either of the former ones...

AAAANNNNNNNDDDD
not to mentioning, licensing BDs is VERRRRRRY Espensive.....

sooo...

we are at a crossroads....

anyone?....

bueller???

could be, I do not know. i do know there are some great cd/bda sets out their for equal or less money with a lot more content. But no sacd/dsd, so for a lot of audiophiles it does not count. Whatever, they are happy with their sacd, I am happy with pcm based audio. I do not see why we should be paying even more to Bronstein when he is only interested in such a small part of music lovers. His mistake, the world is wide open for bda and even more so for download flac.

Robert, I totally agree that BD~A is GROSSLY underutilized and could positively make a dent in the surround arena by including MULTIPLE 4.0/5.1 remixes on ONE disc. At least the Classical labels got the memo and they are packing hours of hi res content on a single BD~A in glorious stereo and surround....for pennies on the dollar.

Unfortunately, the powers that be don't agree and are more interested in the single disc approach catering primarily to their STEREO legions of fans who still consider QUAD or 5.1 gimmicky.

Yeah, Robert, being in the minority [niche surround market] really does SUCK!

It's a VERY DIFFICULT CHOICE!!!

SACDs
AND
DVD-As
need dedicated players

BUT
BDs players are much cheaper then either of the former ones...

AAAANNNNNNNDDDD
not to mentioning, licensing BDs is VERRRRRRY Espensive.....

sooo...

we are at a crossroads....

anyone?....

bueller???

Maybe they could all be 2 disc sets with 96/24 DTS DVD-V's.. or DVD-A's with Dolby and DTS in the Video TS.. plus a CD for the Stereo redbookers.. that'd work for everyone, wouldn't it?

I mean, would a CD plus a DVD be cheaper for both the label and the customer than an SACD..?

Ah... this question poses more questions than it answers, maybe.. I mean Yes! No, I mean No..!!

:ugham:

Robert, I totally agree that BD~A is GROSSLY underutilized and could positively make a dent in the surround arena by including MULTIPLE 4.0/5.1 remixes on ONE disc. At least the Classical labels got the memo and they are packing hours of hi res content on a single BD~A in glorious stereo and surround....for pennies on the dollar.

Unfortunately, the powers that be don't agree and are more interested in the single disc approach catering primarily to their STEREO legions of fans who still consider QUAD or 5.1 gimmicky.

Yeah, Robert, being in the minority [niche surround market] really does SUCK!

Its ok being a minority.. when you're part of a great community :wave

Its ok being a minority.. when you're part of a great community :wave

Absolutely, CHAMP.

I still hold out hope that Rhino/Warner will pull another trick out of their collective hats and reward us with more BD~A boxsets like Chicago. I'm sure sales were robust.

Absolutely, CHAMP.

I still hold out hope that Rhino/Warner will pull another trick out of their collective hats and reward us with more BD~A boxsets like Chicago. I'm sure sales were robust.

I'm hoping it was not a bust. I hope it is moving units at Christmas, and eventually sells out completely. But you never know.

I'm hoping it was not a bust. I hope it is moving units at Christmas, and eventually sells out completely. But you never know.

I'm sure RHINO received a LOT of intense praise for releasing this stunning boxset. As it took almost a year from inception to fruition I don't think we can reasonably expect any new material in the form of BD~A 5.1s from them any time too soon but who knows how these companies operate.

This one did come outta left field...as the expression goes.

If AF went much higher for cost I think it could be pretty tricky to get one imported over without exceeding the VAT threshold, or through a seller that would take care of it. Once you get to £20 and beyond I'm expecting/wanting extra discs of material for the money.

Back