HiRez Poll Coldplay - A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Coldplay - A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
Indeed, stereo is a rather wall of soundish compressed affair. I suppose that's the intention for this kind of music. The surround is another story, however!

So, for the disc content, it's a bit lacking. I say that because when you compare it to the like of the Yes and XTC re-issues, which retail for a similar price, you're getting far less for your buck here. BUT... you get the full album, a nice front end, instaplay and an MP3 download.

Musically, Coldplay have dropped in quality in recent years. It's still good stuff, but they've yet to top their first three albums, IMHO.

The 5.1 mix is superb and incredibly welcome. I've long maintained that if more current, big name acts issued 5.1 mixes, the format might begin to gather some more momentum. These acts might not be everyone's cup of tea, but with a fanbase the size of Coldplay's, you're going to get some decent traction. However, the fact this release comes some 10 months after the album was originally released, kinda takes the edge off. It's almost like an afterthought and an act to milk the last drop out of the album cycle.

But these are minor grumbles. It's good to have this and maybe it will help move things along :)

I'm a bit meh (as the youngsters say these days) about this, Now the last Coldplay I bought was X&Y. I do like the surround mix in general but on my setup the bass is too much, put it on after Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans, which I find lacking bass for instance and it's chalk and cheese, just Keeerikee. I don't want to be constantly twiddling with speaker volumes :rolleyes:. and the music is not grabbing me either, I've only listened 3 times so far twice in surround and once through headphones :music in stereo, maybe it will grow, I'll persevere.

Great to have a current release in surround! Some great modern pop here (bordering on "dance" music at times; lots of radio hits) with a discrete and moderately-enveloping surround mix. Sound quality is also excellent and not overly compressed. I give 2.5/3 each for fidelity, content, and surround mix, and 1 bonus point for being a current release in surround... so 8.5... (rounded to 9).

I was completely unfamiliar with this album before listening to this. Not really knowing who coldplay was. I can say without any bias that this is how a modern hi rez surround release SHOULD sound! This takes FULL advantage of the extended resolution which is only attainable with the dts-ma/dvd-a medium, unlike the so called flat transfers that sound dead and lifeless in comparison, the sonics here have wings and are a solid 10. The surround field is vibrant and immersive placing the listener in the center of the mix, a very liberal mix in more of a quad style. If you are the type who feels it essential that in a surround mix the vocals must be coming out of your tiny center speaker, then you will not like this. I however, give it a solid 10! This Is a must have for all surroundaphiles, SW could take a lesson from this release.

I'm a bit meh (as the youngsters say these days) about this, Now the last Coldplay I bought was X&Y. I do like the surround mix in general but on my setup the bass is too much, put it on after Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans, which I find lacking bass for instance and it's chalk and cheese, just Keeerikee. I don't want to be constantly twiddling with speaker volumes :rolleyes:. and the music is not grabbing me either, I've only listened 3 times so far twice in surround and once through headphones :music in stereo, maybe it will grow, I'll persevere.

UPDATE: I've left this alone for a while and come back to it, having adjusted my system a bit by changing the front speakers from small to large setting so the sub is used less, and now this sounds MUCH better and I enjoyed listening to it a lot, I don't think I'd change my score though.

Spinned this a while ago, and it sounds great, although the whole mix is still compressed (oh well, almost all todays movies sound tracks are :rolleyes:)
Bass is insane, mixed both in center/sub channels, and surround activity is top notch. Followed the band since their first album (my dad introduced me to Parachutes, as I'm just seventeen), and can wisely say that Simpson's work spreads the modern Coldplay to multichannel business just right. Some tracks, like Up&Up, can turn all your speakers to roaring tigers.
OK album, nice mix, and if it wasn't for the compression and/or the fact that Coldplay seems more cold than ever because of the mainstream adapting, I'd surely drop my jaw.
8/10.

This is a super great Blu Ray, and is top notch evidence that DR Values are numbers and not people.
Here are the DR Values with the BD-A being the best at a weak 10.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Coldplay&album=A+Head+Full+Of+Dreams
This is a prime example of using the DR Values only as a tool, and your/my listening experience can beat the odds. Thanks for bringing this up, I want to listen to A Head Full Of Dreams next.

This is a super great Blu Ray, and is top notch evidence that DR Values are numbers and not people.
Here are the DR Values with the BD-A being the best at a weak 10.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Coldplay&album=A+Head+Full+Of+Dreams
This is a prime example of using the DR Values only as a tool, and your/my listening experience can beat the odds. Thanks for bringing this up, I want to listen to A Head Full Of Dreams next.

If I'm interpreting the DR scores correctly, they accessed the LOSSY DTS 5.1 CORE codec [1509 Mbps] in lieu of the lossless DTS~HD MA 5.1 remix....which theoretically would posit higher DR scores.

Actually they are the same (ripped the DTS HD track and checked up w foobar2000).

I gave this an 8 not the best surround mix ever but very acceptable. Good songs and good mix and have to congratulate Coldplay for embracing a surround mix.Have like Coldplay since the days of "Yellow".

I've heard about this album once but got no chance to actually check it out to be honest...

I voted an 8. Definitely not an album I ever expected to get the surround treatment. I picked it up basically as an expensive single of "Adventure of a Lifetime", but it turns out there are a couple other decent tracks hiding on there.

The mix is pretty good! Nice discrete elements in the rears, such as backing vocals and handclaps. There are even a few around-the-room pans.

As others said they totally overdid it with the bass in the center channel, but I suppose the loudness and crazy bass are part of the intended sound.

I'd say the one mistake made with this release was the year-long gap between the stereo and surround releases. If it was double-issued at release that might have made a bigger statement. The last popular double-issue release I can think of was Rob Thomas' Something To Be in 2005.

I wonder how well this sold? The fact they aren't moving forward with the rest of the catalogue probably means it didn't make much of a splash. Too bad, I'd love to hear earlier hits like "Clocks" and "Viva La Vida" in 5.1.

It is definitely handy to have a modern hit with a good surround mix to demo to friends. Love seeing people's faces when the "woo-hoo" bounces between the front and back speakers at the end of "Adventure Of A Lifetime".

"Adventure Of A Lifetime":

Last edited:
Watched the A Head Full Of Dreams documentary on Amazon Prime at the weekend. Quite a good watch... Coldplay aren't exactly the most rock'n'roll band of all time but the music is top notch, over many years... Funny seeing the Dublin Castle pub on the doc - been there many times but was probably too pissed to remember any of the bands?!

Anyhow, watching the show prompted me to review the surround album again... I'm changing my vote to 8... It's actually quite good! :) I think the first few times I listened I was put off by the loudness and the excessive bass. I did try changing the levels on the centre but didn't get it quite right, took away too much oomph.

But the mix is really good! Overall I'd say Content - 8, Fidelity - 7 (because of the bass), Mix - 9. So a solid 8 it is...

Not sure what happened with the stock levels and why the price seems to have gone bonkers?! o_O It's not worth silly prices. But goes to show there is a healthy demand... I'd absolutely love to see A Rush Of Blood To The Head in surround, that would be epic!

I should add that I have to cut my subs about 1/2 way for this one.
Once that is done, this sounds pretty damn good, at around 75 db listening volume.
It's mastered a bit hotter than usual, so I get to 75 db earlier on the dial, but this sounds clean enough to these ears and my subs are loving this workout!

Back