Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a very nice machine, way way better than the Denon.

I'm going to have to go the Oppo route one of these days, as I'm not having a lot of luck with my Denons. I had one of their more expensive machines, a 4010ud, for a few years, until it decided to start skipping when playing any disc. I then got a cheaper model, a 1713ud, a couple of years ago. This played fine until recently. I got a new tv, and as a result I had to move everything. Once everything was in place, and cables back in, unfortunately my 1713ud then started skipping on playing discs too. Now here's the strange thing - I then noticed that the player didn't skip when playing if the tv display was on. If I turned the tv off the disc started skipping again. This is slightly annoying, but I can live with it. Does this make sense to anyone?

I've been musing on this one. Does your Denon have HDMI CEC? Consumer Equipment Control. If it does try turning it off on the Set-up menu. I'm wondering if you player is trying to handshake with the TV - which isn't there. Alternatively if its On in Set-up turn it off! The cr*p Denon would cut-out all sound if I was playing some music and turned on the TV (a 2010 Panasonic), then come back once the TV was fully on.

I'm going to have to go the Oppo route one of these days, as I'm not having a lot of luck with my Denons. I had one of their more expensive machines, a 4010ud, for a few years, until it decided to start skipping when playing any disc. I then got a cheaper model, a 1713ud, a couple of years ago. This played fine until recently. I got a new tv, and as a result I had to move everything. Once everything was in place, and cables back in, unfortunately my 1713ud then started skipping on playing discs too. Now here's the strange thing - I then noticed that the player didn't skip when playing if the tv display was on. If I turned the tv off the disc started skipping again. This is slightly annoying, but I can live with it. Does this make sense to anyone?

I've been musing on this one. Does your Denon have HDMI CEC? Consumer Equipment Control. If it does try turning it off on the Set-up menu. I'm wondering if you player is trying to handshake with the TV - which isn't there. Alternatively if its On in Set-up turn it off! The cr*p Denon would cut-out all sound if I was playing some music and turned on the TV (a 2010 Panasonic), then come back once the TV was fully on.

Many thanks Duncan. The HDMI Control was actually off, but I turned it to on, then back to off again. This fingers crossed seems to have sorted it, I have tried a few discs and no skipping (y)

Many thanks Duncan. The HDMI Control was actually off, but I turned it to on, then back to off again. This fingers crossed seems to have sorted it, I have tried a few discs and no skipping (y)

Remember the good old days when all you had was two analog outputs from a turntable to an integrated amp? I can't tell you the number of times simply rebooting (receiver) or unplugging (Bluray, universal player, iMac, Canon printer, etc.) this modern digital equipment has resolved what initially seemed to have been major problems.

The cr*p Denon would cut-out all sound if I was playing some music and turned on the TV (a 2010 Panasonic), then come back once the TV was fully on.

I've never had any HDMI-connected equipment that didn't do that, regardless of brand name or lossy/lossless audio format.

The worst one of all is my W*nd*ws computer which simply mutes any and all HDMI audio if I turn the TV off and will not bring it back without a reboot, making it useless as a headless renderer for multichannel FLAC.

I've never had any HDMI-connected equipment that didn't do that, regardless of brand name or lossy/lossless audio format.

The worst one of all is my W*nd*ws computer which simply mutes any and all HDMI audio if I turn the TV off and will not bring it back without a reboot, making it useless as a headless renderer for multichannel FLAC.

Yep, I had a Windows media centre PC that did just that. In fact, it got so bad that rebooting wouldn't work and I had to uninstall and reinstall the video drivers every time. In the end I sold it and I now use a Raspberry PI with Kodi, which works very well indeed.

Back