Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if BD-V sales are actually falling, but I have heard repeatedly that the content owners would rather have streaming replace physical media.

Streaming is still in search of a way to make revenue. So it's a little early for content owners to be moving there.
Now they are making some $ with downloads, so there has been some shifting there in terms of using CDs for releases vs. newer formats that cost more to make vs. CDs and downloads.

Probably a move to keep the price of the new player close to the former model.
Much as they dropped some of the apps from the 103 on the 203.
Actually, I don't think that has anything to do with cost, but rather the new architecture as governed by the new Mediatek SOC. Pretty sure HDCD decoding is handled by the Mediatek chip on the BDP-10X, and the apps also have to run on it. The UDP-20X uses a new Mediatek chip, which may not support HDCD decoding (no confirmation either way, but certainly possible due to near-deprecation of the format) and likely does not yet have many apps developed for it. Just as new apps have surfaced for the 10X over time, I imagine so will it be with the 20X. But I could be wrong... There was some press to suggest that they're abandoning apps due to the prevalence of smart TVs and other system components with such functionality.

Actually, I don't think that has anything to do with cost, but rather the new architecture as governed by the new Mediatek SOC. Pretty sure HDCD decoding is handled by the Mediatek chip on the BDP-10X, and the apps also have to run on it. The UDP-20X uses a new Mediatek chip, which may not support HDCD decoding (no confirmation either way, but certainly possible due to near-deprecation of the format) and likely does not yet have many apps developed for it. Just as new apps have surfaced for the 10X over time, I imagine so will it be with the 20X. But I could be wrong... There was some press to suggest that they're abandoning apps due to the prevalence of smart TVs and other system components with such functionality.

The focus on the 203 is to add 4K Video and to stay as close to the 103 price as possible. But cutting out apps and licensed technology like HDCD that certainly helps meet that goal.

The focus on the 203 is to add 4K Video and to stay as close to the 103 price as possible. But cutting out apps and licensed technology like HDCD that certainly helps meet that goal.
I don't think so. That ball is squarely in Mediatek's court. I would expect neither Mediatek nor Oppo to pay developers to create apps. Rather, it's in the content providers' best interest to create free apps and get people to pay for their services. As for HDCD, I'd bet that has more to do with Mediatek abandoning it as a dead format.

I don't think so. That ball is squarely in Mediatek's court. I would expect neither Mediatek nor Oppo to pay developers to create apps. Rather, it's in the content providers' best interest to create free apps and get people to pay for their services. As for HDCD, I'd bet that has more to do with Mediatek abandoning it as a dead format.

Enclosed is a listing [by genre] of over 5000 HDCD recordings. That certainly exceeds the amount of DVD~As by a wide margin. Reference Recordings continues to release in the format but I suppose in order to cut down on the list price of the 203.......something had to be sacrificed:

http://www.goodwinshighend.com/music/hdcd/hdcd_recordings.htm

As near as one can tell at this point, yes, but no confirmation either way that I've found. Could ask Oppo directly, I guess.

According to SamS over on the Hoffman Forum, who seems to be quite connected with Oppo (beta tester I think) the Mediatek chip used in the 203/5 does not support HDCD

I'm sorry to be a broken record on this but is there anyway (before it's release) to know if the new MediaTek chip in the BDP-203 can create SACD .iso like the 10x models? I'm ready to jump on this but honestly creating SACD .iso files is the biggest advantage to me and I'll get a 10x instead of this new one if it is not capable. I'm currently still on the Oppo 83se but would love the SACD .iso burning capabilty over everything else as I'm working to have my entire library digitized for disk-less playback.

I'm sorry to be a broken record on this but is there anyway (before it's release) to know if the new MediaTek chip in the BDP-203 can create SACD .iso like the 10x models? I'm ready to jump on this but honestly creating SACD .iso files is the biggest advantage to me and I'll get a 10x instead of this new one if it is not capable. I'm currently still on the Oppo 83se but would love the SACD .iso burning capabilty over everything else as I'm working to have my entire library digitized for disk-less playback.
If you want SACD ripping for sure better hurry up and get a 103 or 105 before they're gone.
The 103 & 105 are already gone from the Oppo site and the prices on Amazon are skyrocketing.
EBay looks like your last chance or Audiogon.
I'm trying to neutral here but in reality your dithering will most likely get you bupkis.

Thanks Milt. You made the most sense that since it is so important to me, get one now while I can. I found a used BDP103 for $310 and jumped on it. Now all I need to do is go back and read the threads on burning SACD.iso. Thanks again for your recommendation.

Thanks Milt. You made the most sense that since it is so important to me, get one now while I can. I found a used BDP103 for $310 and jumped on it. Now all I need to do is go back and read the threads on burning SACD.iso. Thanks again for your recommendation.

That sure seems like a fair price for the 103. Nice find onomsadlo...oops, backwards. Nice find OldAsMono. :banana:

Sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats.
I hope I didn't sound too harsh but I've seen this same scenario every time Oppo releases a new gen.
The current ones go poof without warning.

Hi. All

I thought a picture of the 203 would go well.

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

It's been a long 4 month wait.... but it's here and I can't get it hooked up as my wife is watching Downton Abbey on the BDP 103D with here sister.

Date/Time
Activity Location
12/28/2016 - Wednesday
2:54 pm Delivered Meriden, CT

Left at side door Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized
8:09 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery NORTH HAVEN, CT

8:03 am At local FedEx facility NORTH HAVEN, CT

6:11 am At destination sort facility EAST GRANBY, CT

4:38 am Departed FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

1:53 am Arrived at FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

12/27/2016 - Tuesday
5:31 pm Left FedEx origin facility MENLO PARK, CA

4:31 pm Picked up MENLO PARK, CA

3:27 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

Select time zone

Last edited:
FYI: My brother bought one, & it's defective; he's a fanatic, about things being PERFECT
He said it works beautifully; less some minor glitches the average human would never notice
Happy 2017!:rolleyes:;)

I'll stick with my Sony UHP-H1 ... Switching to this means having to update my HDTV and my Receiver along with purchasing new analog cables. My Yamaha RX-667 is 7.2 but the analogs are only 5.1 ?
I'll save my 550.00 + for now........ Always the latest and greatest lasts about a year.:mad:@:

waiting for anyone to confirm whether the 203 will rip sacd's like the 103

I've got an itchy trigger finger

I've seen quite a few YT reviews of the new OPPO, but none regarding the multichannel audio capabilities. Wondering if any QQ members have this unit and what you think of it from SACD, DVD-A playback perspective?

Back