Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this gonna be sacd.iso capable and if not why not? is there some limitation of the hardware specs or is it some sort of licensing/law type thing that just won't allow for it?

Oppo was asked to remove ISO playback by the media companies. Since the 203 will be essentially identical to the 103 with 4K video added, don't expect ISO support.

Converting SACD ISOs to FLAC is very easy and fast. There are very few MCH SACDs mix/mastered in DSD (for those that hear any difference - I can't).

For me there's much more benefit to have the tracks as individual files for easy random or playlist playback on a media player than mucking around changing discs and spending huge bucks on a new universal player.

The only reason to buy the new Oppo is for 4K video at the moment, from what I can see. If you are looking to play SACD ISO spend $100 on a media player (after SACD ISO conversion to FLAC), it's bit perfect playback over HDMI, same audio quality for PCM, DTS-HDMA, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos etc. (assuming using same AVR).

Converting SACD ISOs to FLAC is very easy and fast. There are very few MCH SACDs mix/mastered in DSD (for those that hear any difference - I can't).

For me there's much more benefit to have the tracks as individual files for easy random or playlist playback on a media player than mucking around changing discs and spending huge bucks on a new universal player.

The only reason to buy the new Oppo is for 4K video at the moment, from what I can see. If you are looking to play SACD ISO spend $100 on a media player (after SACD ISO conversion to FLAC), it's bit perfect playback over HDMI, same audio quality for PCM, DTS-HDMA, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos etc. (assuming using same AVR).

Garry - you are likely correct. But, there are legions of loyal Oppo fans that simply want the newest they have to offer and wait for them patiently. Yeah, the 4K thing for me is an advantage.....but to date, I've been purchasing each new wave of Oppo's....love them. :)

Far too early to declare exactly what is the compelling reason(s) to buy the Oppo-203.
If you don't want to get into 4k video that takes away one reason on the face of it.

For myself, 4K is a non-starter for some time as I will need to replace my non-4k JVC projector and more than likely my pre-pro, my AT screen and my HDMI cable.
Granted the HDMI cable is the least of it but the deciding factor as always for me in A/V, is the source material.
Give me UHD movies mastered in 4k or 8k that I like that will convince me to re-buy them when I already have 2k versions that look great.
I'll have to go to a much larger screen and perhaps move my theater seats closer to that screen.
Unlike audio, video is thoroughly quantified.
No matter who you are or what you believe, the physical limitations of what your eyes can resolve at any given distance is a known quantity.
I'm not going out on a limb to say that 90% of consumers at least sit too far away from a given screen size for their optic nerve to resolve the resolution displayed even at 2k(1920x1080).
Further, how many consumers pay for an expert to calibrate their displays so that the colors, contrast, grey scale etc., are even remotely accurate?
Minuscule.
As important as increased resolution is, even more important is the leap in color depth that 4k provides.

Well, now that I've bloviated beyond belief, I'm waiting the Oppo above the 203, 205?, as I currently have a 105 and my main interest is in sound quality for my theater room 4k or not.

I'm just skeptical when people declare that "the only reason to buy that is this", when the product hasn't hit the street yet and people have a multitude of reasons why they prefer A over B over C.

Far too early to declare exactly what is the compelling reason(s) to buy the Oppo-203.
If you don't want to get into 4k video that takes away one reason on the face of it.

For myself, 4K is a non-starter for some time as I will need to replace my non-4k JVC projector and more than likely my pre-pro, my AT screen and my HDMI cable.
Granted the HDMI cable is the least of it but the deciding factor as always for me in A/V, is the source material.
Give me UHD movies mastered in 4k or 8k that I like that will convince me to re-buy them when I already have 2k versions that look great.
I'll have to go to a much larger screen and perhaps move my theater seats closer to that screen.
Unlike audio, video is thoroughly quantified.
No matter who you are or what you believe, the physical limitations of what your eyes can resolve at any given distance is a known quantity.
I'm not going out on a limb to say that 90% of consumers at least sit too far away from a given screen size for their optic nerve to resolve the resolution displayed even at 2k(1920x1080).
Further, how many consumers pay for an expert to calibrate their displays so that the colors, contrast, grey scale etc., are even remotely accurate?
As much as increased resolution and actually even more is the leap in color depth that 4k provides.
Minuscule.

Well, now that I've bloviated beyond belief, I'm waiting the Oppo above the 203, 205?, as I currently have a 105 and my main interest is in sound quality for my theater room 4k or not.

LOL! Yep. Well, I have a 65" TV with 4K and I sit about 7 feet away. It's a function of the size of my room. 4K videos from youtube look significantly better than 1080P for sure. It's noticeable to my eyes. I think I will benefit from 4K in my current setup. :)

There are very few MCH SACDs mix/mastered in DSD .

Actually there a number of Multichannel SACDs mixed and mastered in DSD available on the market.
And that number increases each month - and in some cases each week. :)

According to Oppo, 4K video is the main difference between the 103 and 203 disc players.
They are planning to bring the 203 in at a price close to the 103 - and probably $100 or so more if it comes in above the 103 price.

Garry - you are likely correct. But, there are legions of loyal Oppo fans that simply want the newest they have to offer and wait for them patiently. Yeah, the 4K thing for me is an advantage.....but to date, I've been purchasing each new wave of Oppo's....love them. :)

You could buy a lot of content for the price of a new Oppo. Probably every MCH music release for a year or more!

The Oppo 203 will have the same audio capabilities as the 103. Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64 (single rate DSD, not DSD 128 or DSD 256) and FLAC.
The key change vs. the 103 will be the addition of 4K video playback.

So does that mean no hdmi pc input for pcm and/or dsd? I can't lose the multiple playback options like jRiver, Foobar2000 and Musicbee for a limited interface. Thaught I read the 105D had this option but checking if that is true on the 103 or new 203? Maybe I am mistaken about the 105D?

So does that mean no hdmi pc input for pcm and/or dsd? I can't lose the multiple playback options like jRiver, Foobar2000 and Musicbee for a limited interface. Thaught I read the 105D had this option but checking if that is true on the 103 or new 203? Maybe I am mistaken about the 105D?

The 105D has a USB DAC jack that supports Stereo Audio up to DSD 128 and PCM - along with Multichannel DSD 64 and PCM via the USB inputs.
I would guess that the 205 will offer a similar set of audio features. Oppo's focus on the 203 and 205 is to add 4K Video to their current player designs.

The 105D has a USB DAC jack that supports Stereo Audio up to DSD 128 and PCM - along with Multichannel DSD 64 and PCM via the USB inputs.
I would guess that the 205 will offer a similar set of audio features. Oppo's focus on the 203 and 205 is to add 4K Video to their current player designs.

No info for me on the hdmi input of the last generation Oppo's and PC compatibility?

Not sure what you mean but my McIntosh MX122 has 4K upscaling.

Sorry but that doesn't put you ahead of the curve, maybe ONLY slightly behind, but definitely not ahead ;)

For those of you with the OPPO 10x series, be wary of getting rid of your player if you are going to purchase an OPPO 20x. As many of you probably know, the 10x series can be used to rip SACDs and it is quite possible that the new chip in the 20x series won't allow you to do this. In my case, I will probably keep my 105 and purchase the 205 when it comes out. I will still be able to rip SACDs and having the two players gives me greater flexibility with my setup. I wonder how much better the sound will be in the 205 as opposed to the 105.

it gets worse. Only the 9x series can actually playback burned sacd iso's to disc.

So to recap.

9x = playback sacd iso burned disc

10x = rip sacd iso

20x = ??

Oppos are almost perfect, shame they lost the ISO opening feature.

Back