Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always buy a media player that supports those apps. There's a few around that are quite affordable.

I feel like a audio heretic for this, but I just use my TV's integrated apps, with TOSlink back to my receiver (it can do DD+ but not more), coupled with a Chromecast . I don't think I've used the streaming functions of my Oppo 93 in a year or more.

I feel like a audio heretic for this, but I just use my TV's integrated apps, with TOSlink back to my receiver (it can do DD+ but not more), coupled with a Chromecast . I don't think I've used the streaming functions of my Oppo 93 in a year or more.

Unspeakable! :yikes

"Off with his head unit...!!!"

Details continue to trickle out ahead of the official announcement of Oppo Digital's upcoming BDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc player.
According to What Hi-Fi and Forbes, the BDP-203 will be a universal disc player "including SACD, AVCHD, CD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and, of course, Ultra HD Blu-ray".

The BDP-203 will also support a variety of music file formats including "FLAC, WAV, two-channel DSD256 and multichannel DSD64 and DSD128."

Oppo203Official.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...udp-203-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/#1d419ef14d3a
http://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-unveils-its-first-4k-blu-ray-player

This is great news, I've been waiting patiently for the release of these units.

But I am willing to wait a bit longer for the 205 version, because an excellent music performance result is for me by far the more important expectation to be met.

Does anybody know if they will offer the rack-mounting accessory as an extra-cost option again?

Last edited:
This is great news, I've been waiting patiently for the release of these units.

But I am willing to wait a bit longer for the 205 version, because an excellent music performance result is for me by far the more important expectation to be met.

I will wait for the 205 as well!

You can bet your life, I will have one of these sweet machines the moment they send me a pre-order link! And...they will. :) :)

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I will finally be able to really check out my 4K TV to its fullest.

I will likely upgrade to 4k, but I may never get the full benefit unless they come up with some sort of "3D Eye-Floater Compensation" option. My constant companions are always swirling about.

I will likely upgrade to 4k, but I may never get the full benefit unless they come up with some sort of "3D Eye-Floater Compensation" option. My constant companions are always swirling about.

Us eye-floater sufferers got to stick together! I went to the optometrist to see what they were and he said, "eye floaters, don't really know what they are, don't worry about it". Mine aren't too bad though and I only notice them against a mostly light-coloured background.

This machine looks pretty neat. Looking forward to when all of the 4K hardware is a decent price, with all of early generation bugs worked out and with lots of content available. By then, 8K will probably be right around the corner.

I had to google it.... eye floaters... so that's what you call em. Yes, I think I have them too. Like small dark spots that show up every now and then. Mine often look like a thread with an irregular shape at the end of it. I cant say that they would bother me when watching video though. I started seeing them years ago when I would go diving.

I haven't seen this one posted yet, but this looks like a very promising machine.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...udp-203-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/#799618e94d3a

Excellent assessment of a much anticipated UHD launch. We probably won't see Dolby Vision in this particular unit but it will probably be implemented in either the 205 or future OPPO designs.

As I have always maintained, OPPOs are godsends and represent some of the greatest bang for the buck in current audio/video technology.

I do lament the fact that UHD has NO provision for 3D (other than 1080 3D) as there are still a load of current films shot in 4K resolution and above in 3D. Perhaps, that too, will be implemented in future designs.

Thanks for the encouraging article, bk.

Last edited:
I've got them as well, the number of times I've gone to swat a fly I thought was heading towards me!

What is the chance this will do multichannel dsd from a pc using hdmi? Does the 105-D do multichannel pcm from a PC and not dsd. My 10+ year old processor died and I am going to try to stay away from a mass market reciever with preouts. I have a multichannel preamp and this could be the ticket if it handles all the audio from my PC. Would be pretty cool if the 205 did 9.2 with built in Atmos and DTSX but not going to get my hopes up too high on that. ...wish their new DAC did multichannel.

My Oppo 105EU does multichannel flac and dsd over ethernet. i do not have a HDMi connection to test.

I guess the media playback will be improved with this new series, but don't take my word for it.

Nice. So you can use any media player and send over ethernet? Or is it a UPNP thing? Gapless? I am still using an Oppo 83se with ZERO streaming features and my Outlaw Audio 990 died the other day :( No hurry, just checking out every option. Sony TA-P9000ES is the heart of the system with a cheap dts processor + Oppo 83 and ancient PC with analog outs. Surprisingly, not missing the Outlaw TOO much...

UPNP/DLNA. I have a audio pc with vortexbox on it, this has a Logitech Media Server. I can access the files using the Oppo media control app and have gapless flac. Dsd is not gapless. It can be done using a cue sheet, but I have not tried.

I can also use iPeng as controller with the Oppo as media renderer, but no gapless on flac or dsd this way.

What is the chance this will do multichannel dsd from a pc using hdmi? Does the 105-D do multichannel pcm from a PC and not dsd. My 10+ year old processor died and I am going to try to stay away from a mass market reciever with preouts. I have a multichannel preamp and this could be the ticket if it handles all the audio from my PC. Would be pretty cool if the 205 did 9.2 with built in Atmos and DTSX but not going to get my hopes up too high on that. ...wish their new DAC did multichannel.

The Oppo 203 will have the same audio capabilities as the 103. Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64 (single rate DSD, not DSD 128 or DSD 256) and FLAC.
The key change vs. the 103 will be the addition of 4K video playback.

is this gonna be sacd.iso capable and if not why not? is there some limitation of the hardware specs or is it some sort of licensing/law type thing that just won't allow for it?

Back