Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still a little shocked and dismayed that the 4K UHD standard does NOT include 3D since a LOT of newly released movies are still presented in 3D [and IMAX]. Unless, that will be introduced down the line with newer models just like with the introduction of 2K players [early players did not have 3D capability but later models did].

But I suppose for now, upconverted 3D will probably be better and have fewer artifacts than plain ole vanilla 1080p.

It's cheaper for me to buy directly from OPPO as with Amazon, even though I have PRIME, I'd still be subject to $40 sales tax.

I'm still a little shocked and dismayed that the 4K UHD standard does NOT include 3D since a LOT of newly released movies are still presented in 3D [and IMAX]. Unless, that will be introduced down the line with newer models just like with the introduction of 2K players [early players did not have 3D capability but later models did].

But I suppose for now, upconverted 3D will probably be better and have fewer artifacts than plain ole vanilla 1080p.

It's cheaper for me to buy directly from OPPO as with Amazon, even though I have PRIME, I'd still be subject to $40 sales tax.

Hi. 4-earredwonder

I have read some ware the reason there is no 3D in 4K is to do with the 4K Disc format it is stretched to its limit as it is, to fit a 3D version would not fit & that's way it has not been supported in 4K but who knows what is in the future.
Bill..

Last edited:

As I understand it, consumer 3D is seen as a dying format - they offer the discs at a luxury price, but fewer and fewer new TVs have 3D, and it's become a luxury feature. I think the expectation is that 3D is going to fade away, thus its noninclusion in the spec.

I've been eyeing the 203, but the truth is that my 93 still does everything I want perfectly. I just chose to get a 1080p OLED set instead of going 4K, so I suspect it will be some time more before I feel a need to upgrade from the 93.

As I understand it, consumer 3D is seen as a dying format - they offer the discs at a luxury price, but fewer and fewer new TVs have 3D, and it's become a luxury feature. I think the expectation is that 3D is going to fade away, thus its noninclusion in the spec.

I've been eyeing the 203, but the truth is that my 93 still does everything I want perfectly. I just chose to get a 1080p OLED set instead of going 4K, so I suspect it will be some time more before I feel a need to upgrade from the 93.

According to a number of articles I've read, even BD~V is a dying format because of streaming and downloading of video, in general. I've stockpiled a lot of 3D content (usually at VERY agreeable prices) and am currently purchasing 4K UHD discs (VERY carefully as MOST are upsampled 2K) but the future of video will probably fall in line with the future of physical discs, as well.......NOT a pretty picture.

I did buy an 4K OLED 55" TV recently [3D capable] as the prices have come way down [to OVER half off] so for me the 203 is a no~brainer purchase but I do rationally understand your reluctance to do so. I have been extremely happy with my OPPO BDP~105 and even though it's HDMI out, I did find it was superior to all previous OPPOs (I've had them ALL) because of it's beefier power supply.......yes, it does make a difference and I will probably also buy a 205 if and when it becomes available.

According to a number of articles I've read, even BD~V is a dying format because of streaming and downloading of video, in general. I've stockpiled a lot of 3D content (usually at VERY agreeable prices) and am currently purchasing 4K UHD discs (VERY carefully as MOST are upsampled 2K) but the future of video will probably fall in line with the future of physical discs, as well.......NOT a pretty picture.

I did buy an 4K OLED 55" TV recently [3D capable] as the prices have come way down [to OVER half off] so for me the 203 is a no~brainer purchase but I do rationally understand your reluctance to do so. I have been extremely happy with my OPPO BDP~105 and even though it's HDMI out, I did find it was superior to all previous OPPOs (I've had them ALL) because of it's beefier power supply.......yes, it does make a difference and I will probably also buy a 205 if and when it becomes available.

Here is a comment from the Oppo Digital FAQ database...just received this email today.

Will there be a UDP-205?

Yes, the UDP-205 will be released in early 2017, around 2-3 months after the UDP-203. Details for this particular model will be available at a later date.

Here is a comment from the Oppo Digital FAQ database...just received this email today.

Will there be a UDP-205?

Yes, the UDP-205 will be released in early 2017, around 2-3 months after the UDP-203. Details for this particular model will be available at a later date.

Thanks, Gene. I knew there would be a 205 but for my bedroom and OLED TV, the 203 is perfect (just wish it currently included Dolby Vision). The 205 will be for my main system.

In the days of olde, I paid upwards of $3K+ for Laserdisc players and I can't even look at a laserdisc anymore [:yikes] as those BD~Vs blow them outta the water. So, in reality, the OPPOs are bargains anyway you look at it!

Thanks, Gene. I knew there would be a 205 but for my bedroom and OLED TV, the 203 is perfect (just wish it currently included Dolby Vision).

Well, you could get that with the firmware upgrade they seem to promise....

Does the UDP-203 support Dolby Vision?

At release, the UDP-203 will have support for HDR10. The UDP-203's hardware was designed with Dolby Vision support in mind, however, and customers can expect a firmware upgrade in early 2017 that brings Dolby Vision support to the player.

I don't know if BD-V sales are actually falling, but I have heard repeatedly that the content owners would rather have streaming replace physical media. It destroys the resale market and allows the owners to control their content better. I Blu-Ray will remain an audiophile format for quite a while longer, though - streaming isn't going to replace niche markets nearly as quickly.

To be honest, since I use my disc spinner purely as a HDMI transport, I probably would just get the Sony UHP-H1 and save the $200 if my Oppo craps out. With each successive player Oppo adds one or two more features, but the 203 really seems like it's essentially the 103 with 4k, which was just a 93 with 4k upscaling and DAC functionality. I understand that the calculus is different for the xx5 models, or if one is pairing this with a 4K TV.

To be honest, since I use my disc spinner purely as a HDMI transport, I probably would just get the Sony UHP-H1 and save the $200 if my Oppo craps out. With each successive player Oppo adds one or two more features, but the 203 really seems like it's essentially the 103 with 4k, which was just a 93 with 4k upscaling and DAC functionality. I understand that the calculus is different for the xx5 models, or if one is pairing this with a 4K TV.

You act like Oppo just plugs in the 4k widget, sticks a new number on it & wipes it's a$$.
Yeah, it's nothing more than adding 4k, new input and output boards, power supply, DACS, chassis, firmware, Wi-Fi section and USB circuit
Damn near identical to me.

You act like Oppo just plugs in the 4k widget, sticks a new number on it & wipes it's a$$.
Yeah, it's nothing more than adding 4k, new input and output boards, power supply, DACS, chassis, firmware, Wi-Fi section and USB circuit
Damn near identical to me.

Obviously it's nontrivial for the maker of the device. But yes, as someone without a 4K display, it's damn near identical from a user perspective. If I had a 4K TV, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Back