Do *YOU* want more Big Big Train in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joined, and left a couple comments. Hopefully this pans out. Who's this Jan person? Is this just a hypothetical discussion, or is this something the band is actually considering??

I added what I wanted to say to the discussion too.
I don't think it will really change anything just because if it's financial limitations that prevent them from doing this, that's tough to overcome!
Most of the best independent 5.1 surround mixes released this year were largely in-house efforts.
(Bruce Soord mixing the Pineapple Thief in surround, Giancarlo Erra mixing nosound in surround, Rob Reed mixing "Sanctuary II" in surround, Steven Wilson mixing "4 1/2" in surround)
Now there's definitely some exceptions to that as well, but at the very least, it's nice that the band provides that Facebook group to directly interact with its fans. They all seem like very lovely people, and I do hope they release more in surround in the future so I can further support them! :)

(BTW does anyone else besides me think that Greg Spawton looks a lot like Peter Buck, from R.E.M.? I have never seen them in the same room together, so…) ;)

...if so you may want to know your views known on a current Facebook thread on the band's page discussing that age old question of supply and demand:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/big...t=group_comment_follow¬if_id=1475137266670317

If you do the Facebook thing and have an opinion, especially if you have/liked "Stone & Steel" please add a comment or two in support!

Yes or stems that I can mix myself. A few bands including Lamb Of God, Nine Inch Nails and Dream theater have offered stems for fans to mix themselves.

I added what I wanted to say to the discussion too.
I don't think it will really change anything just because if it's financial limitations that prevent them from doing this, that's tough to overcome!
Most of the best independent 5.1 surround mixes released this year were largely in-house efforts.
(Bruce Soord mixing the Pineapple Thief in surround, Giancarlo Erra mixing nosound in surround, Rob Reed mixing "Sanctuary II" in surround, Steven Wilson mixing "4 1/2" in surround)
Now there's definitely some exceptions to that as well, but at the very least, it's nice that the band provides that Facebook group to directly interact with its fans. They all seem like very lovely people, and I do hope they release more in surround in the future so I can further support them! :)

(BTW does anyone else besides me think that Greg Spawton looks a lot like Peter Buck, from R.E.M.? I have never seen them in the same room together, so…) ;)

There is a solution. STEMS. To mix the stereo album multitracks are often converted to stems: I.E drum track(s), final lead vocal, final backgrounds etc.

OFFER A CHANCE FOR PEOPLE TO BUY THEM. It costs NO ADDITIONAL MONEY for the artist!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a solution. STEMS. To mix the stereo album multitracks are often converted to stems: I.E drum track(s), final lead vocal, final backgrounds etc.

OFFER A CHANCE FOR PEOPLE TO BUY THEM. It costs NO ADDITIONAL MONEY for the artist!!!!!!!!!!!

Stems could work, but not all artists are open to releasing stems to the fans.

Stems could work, but not all artists are open to releasing stems to the fans.

Indeed they are not but Nine Inch Nails, Feared, Lamb of God, Dream Theater and others have. Feared now have stems available on all their deluxe editions.

I have asked for stems from a few artists on bandcamp that I loved, most thought it was a great idea but did not have them anymore. One group said it was up to the label, I.E they did not own rights.

Personally I would be happy with this option and it costs artist no extra money. The main issue is if their material is owned by a 3rd party, if not they can do what they want with it. Let people who want a surround version DL stems to make it themselves, or they can ask somebody else to do it for them.

I really enjoy "do it yourself" surround and would be happy to purchase stems from artists who would otherwise never mix their music into surround; when you mix it yourself, you never have to worry about "black holes" and "ambience in the rear channels"... you can be as adventurous, aggressive, or whatever you want. Stems are better than nothing, and as keenly says, it's no extra cost to the artist!

Stems are not finally mixed.
I don't think this is a solution.

If an artist otherwise WILL NOT give us a surround mix, it is perfect.

I would be happy to mix an album of stems for free, that everyone can DL, and just donate to artist. I.E anyone that has financially contributed gets DL link for surround mix.

Of course I would prefer SW or ES mix everything, or even Jens Bogren(plus Bruce Soord is getting better with each mix), BUT that costs an artist money. Making DVD Audios costs them money.

Uploading stems or multis literally costs them nothing.

What genre do you like? I will send you an example? Beatles? Hard Rock? Soft pop?

This is why I have been posting tracks on here, so I can get feedback. Here is a free DL https://www.dropbox.com/s/sov31c40o3bsg4n/Johnny Lokke A Whsiper To A Scream.wav?dl=0

Releasing DIY stems/tracks would have to be a very last resort imo. Surely the best way forward with this kind of situation is some kind of crowd funding project to pay for the mixing to be done at the very least.

I'm all in for more BBT in surround. I'd love to hear Full Power and The Underfall Yard in particular.

Yes.... more BBT in 5.1.
They have a more gentle laid back rock that pleases the Missus too.........so a definite yes.
Others know the band better than me ..so any album will do.
Stone and Steel really was very good.
I don,t do facebook either so can,t post there but Neil , feel free to tell them joechip would like more surround from them as well.

Looks more certain the The Underfall Yard will get the 5.1 treatment but not released until 2019 & 10th anniversary: -

Touching on Mr Wilson, he’s remixing albums into 5.1, if it were viable would you want to pick an album from your back catalogue and remixing it into 5.1?

Greg ‘The Underfall Yard is a very important album for us, it was the first album David was involved in, he joined the band, it was a relaunch, it’s where we started writing about history and landscape and is where it all came together really, in 2019 that will be the tenth anniversary of that album, so I imagine when we play live we’ll be doing a number of songs live from that album, and we’ll be doing a reissue, it’s never been available on vinyl, and there’s definitely demand for a vinyl release and we will be doing a 5.1 release as well, 5.1 is interesting, you need that critical mass of fans to warrant the remixing and producing discs in 5.1. I’m not 100% convinced we’re there yet to do it for every album, but it’s something we’re keeping an eye on, and as the fan base is growing its something that will happen when the time is right. We’d all love to celebrate the Underfall Yard in a couple of years and that’s ripe for 5.1.’

Link to interview
https://progarchy.com/2017/08/05/big-big-train-a-big-big-interview/

Back