DVD/DTS Poll Fleetwood Mac - MIRAGE [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Fleetwood Mac - MIRAGE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'll give it an "8". I loved this album when it was released but, unlike "Tusk", it hasn't aged well, IMO. Just a few too many weak tracks.

And again, unlike "Tusk", I'm not enjoying the new mix choices as much.

Liking it better the second time though, than the first. And the volumes are all over the place. Sounds kinda rushed like maybe the plug was pulled on the surround mix before they finished it back it the day?

Almost worth it all just for "Gypsy" which was a wonder in stereo and is all I hoped it would be in 5.1.

Only Lindsey could have turned this otherwise "B" Stevie song into a huge hit single.

Still thrilled to have the album. Overall an 8. Paid a lot for it though. :)

I'll give it an "8". I loved this album when it was released but, unlike "Tusk", it hasn't aged well, IMO. Just a few too many weak tracks.

And again, unlike "Tusk", I'm not enjoying the new mix choices as much.

Liking it better the second time though, than the first. And the volumes are all over the place. Sounds kinda rushed like maybe the plug was pulled on the surround mix before they finished it back it the day?

Almost worth it all just for "Gypsy" which was a wonder in stereo and is all I hoped it would be in 5.1.

Only Lindsey could have turned this otherwise "B" Stevie song into a huge hit single.

Still thrilled to have the album. Overall an 8. Paid a lot for it though. :)
What Keywhiz said is exactly how I feel. Gave it an 8 mostly for effort, it was kind of weak back in the day and 5.1 didn't help.

I'm on the third track, and it's sounding a bit clumsy to me. Christine's vocal level seems to leap up on Love In Store around the two minute mark. In general so far I would have liked more backing vocals in the rears to open them out a bit. I'm liking the extended outros on the songs. This is an album I'm fond of and familiar with in stereo but it sounded so slick in stereo. I'm wondering if there's some kind of sync error in places as the timing sounds very loose in places. It's refreshing if a little jarring at this point that the balance is so different to the stereo mix. It sounds a little underproduced compared to the original to these ears though. (I'm now only on track 4 at present to be fair.)

Hmm, do you reckon there could be some different takes and/or parts of the same instrument used on the 5.1? There's definitely some different vocals. Also, it seems to run a little slower to my ears on first impression. Wish You Were Here (one of my favourite tracks on the original album) is really nice with the extra parts - a highlight of this mix. Eyes of the World is the closest to what I expecting/hoping for in the surround mix, I think. Cool Water is a superb mix and a really nice bonus. I reckon this mix could be a grower, it's certainly not boring, and I like Ken Caillat's way of digging into the multi's. The 5.1 mix is like a set of outtakes in itself. Yep, I'm looking forward to giving it another spin.

The album is about two and a half minutes longer in 5.1 form. (Not including the bonus track.)

The mix is beautiful, well balanced, a bit bright-but I prefer bright to dull sounding (and as mentioned, "Hold Me" is a sort of a "deconstructed mix" but only to make it shine even more with the extra elements that were not too up front before), and it's a real treat for all of us FMac fans...

I know there's an ongoing debate about this, but my only minus point is the lack of a lossless version.
Mind you, DTS 96/24 sounds great , but it's the voices that really suffer from the compression- even the cymbals sound great, but there is a certain "grittiness" on the voices that would (almost surely) not be there in lossless.

A SOLID niner from me.

Initially I was unsure about getting this album, but I'm very happy that I did. There is much more here than one can glean from listening to the album on Youtube. It is extremely well done musically, so much so that even the simple stuff is very interesting and satisfying; and the 5.1 treatment really enhances this quality. I'd give it a 9 but have to dock a point because of the following:

McVie's voice on Love in Store and Wish You Were Here sounds like they gave her vocal chords a sandpaper massage...what Krunch refers to as "grittiness." It seems to be a quality of the original multi-track master as I also detect this grittiness in the 2 channel lossless version of Love in Store. She has a nice soothing voice, so I don't know why they messed with it with whatever they did; especially frustrating since Nick's guttural voice comes across so very well on this album.

The "grittiness" is even worse in the surrounds on That's Alright, especially the left surround. From about 1:00 onward it sounds almost as if distortion was introduced into the channel. I can't stand this kind of grainy midrange...not as bad as finger nails dragged across a chalk board but very annoying. The remaining tracks sound comparatively clean.

Only Over You is mastered about 3 to 4dB louder than it should based on the two tracks around it. I have no idea why this happens...done on purpose, problem with mastering, authoring or whatever.

The box set with the 5.1 DTS DVD is still available at Import CD's for $53 as of this writing. Do I think it is worth the $53 even with the above annoyances? Absolutely! (y)(y)(y)

Oh my! This release is a hoot. After only a quick run through on the PC I am sold, it's worth the baggage of the high priced box. Such an excellent mix.

First off, I went to use DVD Audio Extractor and was thrown a bit as it showed the DTS to be 5CH and the AC3 to be 6CH!!?? :confused: :confused:

View attachment 27377

I extracted them both to see what the difference was and they were both 5.1. Not quite sure how to put this but the DTS extract sounded a bit better than the AC3, but my bias factor may contribute to my findings...............anyway.

Listened to the two "hits", Gypsy and Hold Me. Snood is not kidding, wow, Hold Me is a revelation. Some "purists" are going to say it's a mess. Others, like me, are going to love it for what it is. A 5.1 mix of a song we all know.

First off, Christie McVie is alone in the front left channel for the vocals, while Lindsey Buckingham's harmony is in both the front right AND the center, which makes his vocal almost overpower hers. Neither is heard in the rears. And when you listen to the fronts, each one at a time, it appears that Christie's vocals are a bit more potted down than Lindsey's, so the song now becomes a Lindsey song with McVie harmonies!!! Stranger Things!

The mix on this one is spread out well and, again, as Snood has pointed out, you hear a LOT of stuff you never heard before, or a lot clearer than you ever heard it. Oooo's and Ahhh's are scattered about the rears and center. The overall effect makes this a terrific surround mix and a full-on 5.1 listening experience.

Here's a peek at the wav's but they don't do it justice. Listen to it, and yes, there will be complaint's I'm sure from the purists, but honestly, they always have the stereo mix to fall back on.

I am now on to listening to the entire disc. More later................

View attachment 27378

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was just playing around with this one and I noticed something interesting. Compared to the older version of DVD audio extractor that you used, the newer one is reporting both DTS and AC3 as 6ch now so that's good.. but I noticed that when I ripped it to FLAC it gave me 96khz for some reason.. which is weird because everyone reports 48khz for this mix. So I started digging around and noticed when selecting "Same as input" it assumes that the input is 96khz instead of 48, but only for the DTS mix.. not the AC3. Is it possible this is actually a DTS 24/96 mix?

mirage.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible this is actually a DTS 24/96 mix?

It is indeed.

To help anyone out in the future- here's the rundown on all Fleetwood Mac surround releases:

MLP 96/24 (DVD-Audio)- Rumours, Say You Will

DTS 96/24- Tusk, Mirage

Dolby Digital 48/16- Fleetwood Mac, The Dance

It is indeed.

To help anyone out in the future- here's the rundown on all Fleetwood Mac surround releases:

MLP 96/24 (DVD-Audio)- Rumours, Say You Will

DTS 96/24- Tusk, Mirage

Dolby Digital 48/16- Fleetwood Mac, The Dance
Interesting.. I wonder why DVD Audio extractor shows 48khz on the primary screen but will actually output 96. Also, most places where you can find info about the release also report 48khz.

Here's the surround sound: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/116454
and the stereo: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/116730

So, did we all know Mirage was 96/24? Geez....now I'm gonna fire mine up and see what's up....
You know, if it turns out to be 96/24......I will instantly think it sounds better than I'd thought originally. :rolleyes:

Looks like something weird is going on with this one.. here's something I found on a certain red site:

PHP:
foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2016-12-21 16:34:09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: ? / ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR13 0.00 dB -18.69 dB 3:17 ?-01 - Love In Store
DR14 0.00 dB -18.12 dB 2:46 ?-02 - Can't Go Back
DR14 0.00 dB -18.30 dB 3:12 ?-03 - That's Alright
DR13 0.00 dB -19.64 dB 4:02 ?-04 - Book Of Love
DR14 -0.75 dB -21.18 dB 5:04 ?-05 - Gypsy
DR13 0.00 dB -15.73 dB 4:23 ?-06 - Only Over You
DR13 0.00 dB -20.14 dB 3:03 ?-07 - Empire State
DR13 0.00 dB -18.75 dB 4:11 ?-08 - Straight Back
DR13 0.00 dB -18.15 dB 3:47 ?-09 - Hold Me
DR15 0.00 dB -19.31 dB 3:00 ?-10 - Oh Diane
DR13 -0.29 dB -19.65 dB 4:12 ?-11 - Eyes Of The World
DR14 0.00 dB -20.69 dB 4:52 ?-12 - Wish You Were Here
DR11 -2.09 dB -19.71 dB 3:17 ?-13 - Cool Water (surround mix bonus track)

Number of tracks: 13
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bitrate: 1510 kbps
Codec: DTS

*I know it says 48kHz, but when I bitstream the files to my receiver it says 96/24.

Interesting.. I wonder why DVD Audio extractor shows 48khz on the primary screen but will actually output 96.

The latest update added the ability to rip the DTS 96/24 and not just the 48 kHz "core". It just doesn't say DTS 96/24 when you throw the disc in. The Tull releases and EMI quad DVDs (Ten Years After, ELO, GG) will rip to 96/24 as well.

The latest update added the ability to rip the DTS 96/24 and not just the 48 kHz "core". It just doesn't say DTS 96/24 when you throw the disc in. The Tull releases and EMI quad DVDs (Ten Years After, ELO, GG) will rip to 96/24 as well.

That's true that it can properly rip DTS 96/24 but it should accurately report the sample rate.. with this disc it seems not to, there's something wrong with the authoring of the disc it seems. Here's a different one with proper sample rate reporting. mirage.png

That's true that it can properly rip DTS 96/24 but it should accurately report the sample rate.. with this disc it seems not to, there's something wrong with the authoring of the disc it seems. Here's a different one with proper sample rate reporting.

Different codec- that's a blu ray encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio @96/24 which it does report correctly.

DTS 96/24 is still lossy- I think it just adds a few extra bits if decoded properly (sort of like how DD+ is slightly better than DD).

No authoring issue with this disc- if you try to rip any DTS 96/24 DVD it will rip but not report 96/24 on the first screen. I'm sure the DVDAE folks can fix this in a future update.

Doesn't really matter to me how it reports it as long as it correctly rips as 96/24

Different codec- that's a blu ray encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio @96/24 which it does report correctly.

DTS 96/24 is still lossy- I think it just adds a few extra bits if decoded properly (sort of like how DD+ is slightly better than DD).

No authoring issue with this disc- if you try to rip any DTS 96/24 DVD it will rip but not report 96/24 on the first screen. I'm sure the DVDAE folks can fix this in a future update.

Doesn't really matter to me how it reports it as long as it correctly rips as 96/24

Ok so it's just incorrect reporting in DVD audio extractor, thanks! (y)

i think i'll shoot the dev a message and let him know

Since this release has 29 votes, why does it not appear in the Surround Polls? I was looking for QQ reviews of this release, so I typed it into the search box on the polls page, and no results showed up. Surprised, I searched for it on the main site and found these helpful reviews. I ordered the set for $52, including shipping and taxes. I hope to write a review after it arrives and hope to see this release in the Surround Poll. Peace

Since this release has 29 votes, why does it not appear in the Surround Polls? I was looking for QQ reviews of this release, so I typed it into the search box on the polls page, and no results showed up. Surprised, I searched for it on the main site and found these helpful reviews. I ordered the set for $52, including shipping and taxes. I hope to write a review after it arrives and hope to see this release in the Surround Poll. Peace

It's a DVD, not a DVD-Audio, so it's in the second poll tab. "Audio DVD's and DTS CD's"

Hmm, do you reckon there could be some different takes and/or parts of the same instrument used on the 5.1? There's definitely some different vocals. Also, it seems to run a little slower to my ears on first impression. Wish You Were Here (one of my favourite tracks on the original album) is really nice with the extra parts - a highlight of this mix. Eyes of the World is the closest to what I expecting/hoping for in the surround mix, I think. Cool Water is a superb mix and a really nice bonus. I reckon this mix could be a grower, it's certainly not boring, and I like Ken Caillat's way of digging into the multi's. The 5.1 mix is like a set of outtakes in itself. Yep, I'm looking forward to giving it another spin.

The album is about two and a half minutes longer in 5.1 form. (Not including the bonus track.)
Long time to wait to reply to this post, but oh yeah. Lots of different takes and parts and mixing choices. used on the 5.1. That way with most of the Mac 5.1s. Makes them fun for me since I know the originals almost TOO well

One of these days I’ll take the time to list them all!

Back