More publicizing of surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdysseyMusik

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Anyone who’ll join producing some texts we for example can mail to local or national press/media?
Or maybe creating a sort of lobby for spreading info about surroundmusic to local/nationals press and media?

Some oneliners could be:
"Why are 95% of all music played in a worse quality than the CD format from the 1980's?"
"Why only listen to stereo of music you really love if it instead could wrap around you - why be in a distance to your loved music when you can be in the center of the band?"
"It's like eating poor fastfood every day, never trying a gourmet restaurant"
"It's like drinking discount beer only, when you could get high quality beer"
Every band who respect their own music should make best quality versions (Hi rez multichannel)!!!

Yeah, I know Spotify/Youtube are the easy and cheap way to get quantity for most people, but if more and more began demanding better quality I'm sure Spotify/Youtube would follow.
Is the problem that surround systems are too expensive then?
Well maybe they don't have to be. 200$ surround headphones can be a good start if people don't have enough money or room for speakersystems, after my opinion! More on thread about surround headphones.

It was a sad day when I heard Fish and Steve Wilson had discussed if they should make remixes in 5.1 of all Fish albums and dropped the idea; "Not enough people would buy the stuff"
And now Opeth dropping 5.1 mix :-(

Last edited:
And now Opeth dropping 5.1 mix :-(

Where did you see this announced? I missed it the obvious (to me) places.

The reason I didn't pick up "Sorceress" at the merch table at Friday's show was because there was only the CD digital option. Since it was release day, the inevitable CD+BD edition would follow later given the "Watershed" CD+DVD and "Pale Communion" CD+BD releases. That said, four of the six packages on sale now are vinyl.

As for your question, I don't understand why we aren't arguing over uncompressed 7.1 versus object based digital audio formats for music with 96 kHz 24 bit (or "better"*) FLAC the de facto choice for download and BD (maybe BD-A) the de facto choice for physical media... in addition to stereo, since that will always be a valid choice for certain listening environments. I don't even understand why we keep getting lossy audio on DVD-V when DVD-V supports mutli-channel PCM. I know the answer, as do we all here at QQ, but we don't like it and even with Robert Cialdini's help I don't see us persuading sufficient folks to create the reality we want yet.

Optimistically, we are still in the early days of digital audio distribution over the interweb. Bandwidth and storage have only recently reach the no-longer-a-factor stage for many music-buying folks, so as they increase it may lead to demand from the consumer end. I know too little about the production end - particularly the toolset and manufacturing workflow factors - meaningfully speculate. Alas I also know we can't clone Steven Wilson yet.

*[A separate never-ending argument I'm not trying to restart here]

As for your question, I don't understand why we aren't arguing over uncompressed 7.1 versus object based digital audio formats for music with 96 kHz 24 bit (or "better"*) FLAC the de facto choice for download and BD (maybe BD-A) the de facto choice for physical media...

Yeah interesting!!! Could be a new thread!

About Opeth: Sorceress DVD-V are in 'fake' surround with only reverb in the rear channels. See info from iMachine: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...released/page4

Yes Steven Wilson surely are the best surroundmixer!!! But my guess's there are others who can make nice surroundmix, just waiting for bands waiking up and releasing their music in better quality! They don't do yet because around 99% of those who listen to music don't really know that music they love will sound a lot better in surround!
Now cheaper surround headphones has arrived for gamers, but they are fine for music too! When more need such thing they surely will be made for other devices too in a few years is my guess!

Music retailers/HiFi stores/department stores could take a big part in promotion of surround music if they began to play surround music as a feature of the actual software & equipment that plays them.
People would begin to take more notice.

I still remember being blown away at a HiFi show in the early 1980s playing Oxygen on a new music format called a Compact Disc.

Good idea Rana!
But not many stores left here in Denmark witch sells CD/DVD's...

If enough asked Youtube to open up for 5.1 streaming and they did, I think that would be the giant leap for multichannel music; Then a lot more will ask for it and artists will release more!

I seriously don't intend to demean or be negative, but, the issue is a lack of interest on the part of most people. I really thought that BD was going to make a difference, but then you have those who just refuse to accept they need to be educated. I manage property, and in lots of apartments. I see it in every one, 5 speakers piled up around the tv. I used to say something but the standing answer was, 'I know, I just don't want to bother, it sounds good enough" Then my buddy, who sees me set up a decent 5.1 system, likes it, yet settles for a PC 2.1 speaker set up with a mini-headphone connect. Plus, I know lots of folks who have a BD player and settle for what the TV audio offers. And then I have seen big money setups that-well in a word really sucked in sound quality. NO clue as to how to properly set up or use it.
I thought the single HDMI was going to open up surround to the masses. And I just can't get it out of my head the comment by Donald Fagen when asked why "Sunken Condos" was going to be 5.1, here you have a master of 5.1 use and very well done productions, not bothering, because he said all anyone listens with in ear buds or tiny speakers anyway-why bother? Well, I would love to see this change! I'm so jaded with the meager offerings of 5.1 and the quality sound I used to seek. $800.00 for a 5.1 avr-$500.00 for a BD player- and a bundle of good speakers, I can understand why no one would bother. I may not like it-but it is reality.

I don't think money is the problem, but rather that very few people sit down to listen to music these days. And with surround you have to sit and that's it. With 2.0 you can wander around the room and it's still OK.

It's the same for me - I'm listening to Blackwater Park right now, but it's the only surround I've heard for a week - all other listening is on the iPhone (OK, with B&O H8 headphones, so sounding pretty good).

IMHO..... The killer of surround are wives. In a kept house, typically women don't want to see the wiring, boxes, etc. These ideas have lead to the term "Man Cave". I have mentioned to one of the two big surround decoding companies..... No more helicopter flying, robot throwing, crash sequences on the demo disc. Find content that speaks to females. As far as music for surround? A streaming site is going to have to partner with a dts or Dolby, and when music is streamed to the AVR. The AVR decodes the content. It's just going to be made easy, and speak to females.

Thanks for the inputs!

How many people on Earth have the opportunity to get a multichannel-system (MCS) if that was top priority? 100 million residences?
How many of those have a MCS? 0,1% ? (I'm just guessing)
If that rose to 2-5 % or more I think more artist would start releasing their albums in surroundsound!

If bands like Camel, Fish, Led Zeppelin, O.S.I, Pink Floyd, Manfred Mann, Tool and many more would start making more surroundsound albums, wouldn’t that be GREAT?!!

Why does that take so long?? Yes, peoples ignorance (and wives' will) works against the spread of surround. It takes some skills to set up a proper MCS (besides money and room for it at home) - So why care thinks most people! (They don’t know about surround headphones for one)
Do they choose the bad quality because that's the easy way OR do they simply not know about the existence of surroundsound? This year the possibility of giving relative cheap surround systems for X-mas has come: True surround headphones from £160 and up.

I would like to see some big artist starting releasing their albums in better quality / surroundsound, despite almost all their listeners prefer compressed streaming. Because the artist respect their own music and will have it in maximum quality also. Could that happen for e.g. Adele Adkins? (I do not hear that, but have an idea that she a very skilled musician) So many on Earth must have a feeling that Adele are so wonderful to listen to. If they hear about some others listen to a even better 5.1 mix telling it's the most wonderful thing on Earth they'll maybe get a surround-headset or even better. That could boost the demand for 5.1 sound!

Maybe the right questions to the right artists could start the moving against better quality / more surroundsound! Or if enough asked Google when 5.1 sound will come (become better than the other streaming services)

If you can't get people to observe simple driving rules of the road or make them understand that tobacco is killing them you can't do this which is y them one of the reasons publicizing surround sound like common sense in most people is a cuss word. I understand your point and I hate to bring this to your attention don't need to be negative but you're beating a dead horse

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

OdysseyMusik is not "beating a dead horse" imho.

Peaceful petitioning and opening up a dialogue with artists and labels can bring about the result we want.

Just look at the example of the upcoming Alan Parsons Project 5.1.. it was to be hidden away in a big pricey boxset, now after some of us here moaned on to the Pledge site about it Mr. Parsons himself stepped in and got the label to release a standalone 5.1 product.

Getting in touch with labels and artists, maintaining a respectful and moderate tone even if in the face of negativity at the time (you never know when that artist or label may have a change of heart), can and does work.

Please lets encourage any endeavour by any member here or anyone we bump into offline day to day or on other sites and discussion boards to promote surround music wherever and whenever they can.?

Yeah! Not easy to open the eyes of humans!
But there is a chance more people will found out there is better quality of music and give that more attention!
We could for example spread the idea of surround-headphones for X-mas on social medias;)

OdysseyMusik is not "beating a dead horse" imho.

Peaceful petitioning and opening up a dialogue with artists and labels can bring about the result we want.

Just look at the example of the upcoming Alan Parsons Project 5.1.. it was to be hidden away in a big pricey boxset, now after some of us here moaned on to the Pledge site about it Mr. Parsons himself stepped in and got the label to release a standalone 5.1 product.

At this point (unless I missed it) there is no standalone release on the schedule.

Getting in touch with labels and artists, maintaining a respectful and moderate tone even if in the face of negativity at the time (you never know when that artist or label may have a change of heart), can and does work.

Please lets encourage any endeavour by any member here or anyone we bump into offline day to day or on other sites and discussion boards to promote surround music wherever and whenever they can.?

Thanks fredblue! Very nice ideas you got there!
That is what this thread should be about!

'Many small streams makes a river'

e.g.
- Tell around about the opportunity to get cheap surround with gamer headphones for those who don't have surround systems (for birthday/Xmas or just get'em)
- Tell the story to the media: Why do so many listen to music in poor quality here in 2016 when there's much better alternatives?!!
- Constantly remind artists about they should release their albums in best quality/surround: Give the music the respect it deserves!!! E.g Fish need to told on his facebook! "Please make the 5.1 mix of your albums!!!!!!" - Can we make a petition for 'who would buy Fish 5.1 mixes' if they were made?

Back