More publicizing of surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that today, for most people (not us old fart veterans of the 1900's), music does not mean what it used to. I've said here before that where we would get a new album and live with it for weeks, playing it on our parents home stereo in the living room, then eventually getting our own receivers and systems and go through the motions of trying to out do our friends stereos and speakers and systems and things like that, today's modern folk take their phone and stick it in a charger/adapter and play it through a blutooth speaker and that's their stereo. They don't have a collection of LPs, tapes or discs, they have files on their phone. That's the way of the world and it's not going to change.

When we all die off there will be a small group of customers who will still have "stereos" in their homes and they will seek out vinyl and high resolution files, but it will be a small minority. You can beat these people over the heads with talk of "real sound" and loss of audio fidelity and it will not matter because the music is just not as important to them as it was to us.

How many young people listen to an entire album these days?
How many young people have never bought a CD or a physical product?
How many young people have purchased a receiver and speakers?
How many young people sit in one place and listen to their music without a laptop or tablet on their laps?

It's not the same. We had nothing else to do but sit in our rooms and listen to our music. Those days are gone. Long gone. Memories.

And despite our greatest hopes and wishes, anything we get from now until we die is going to be the exception, not the rule.

I'm still wondering who is buying all those (IMO, expensive) vinyl reissues, and, even more, the NEW titles and artists, from Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift to Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus. And yet when you get into surround reissues, the bin is nearly empty, or scattered, and clerks at B&N's and the like don't even know about a lot of this stuff.

While I do think files have pretty much taken over, as the 'new vinyl' bins indicate, not only is vinyl not dead, but people will still purchase specialty stuff like 3-D BluRays and, yes, high priced SACD's from Audio Fidelity. But this media will be niche at best (which AF has always been).

But the old truth is same as the new: most listeners DON'T REALLY NOTICE NOR CARE ABOUT ACTUAL SOUND QUALITY. That's because they just want the music and it would really have to sound shitty for them to worry about a different way of listening. And I agree with Jon that people who care about sound the most are, indeed, us creaky old farts who will eventually die out. Existence is an endless continuum, and 78's now seem so ancient that when you find them in thrift stores, they're likely to wind up in the dumpster eventually, even those that could still be played, because those who cared about that unique but fragile format are just about all gone.

Me, I just intend to enjoy what I can as often as I can--any format.

ED :)

Jon, very well said, the sad but true fact of the state of where things are at in today's music listening world.
There aren't very many young people, my son does sometimes join me when I am listening to surround music and he can sit through listening to a whole album.
Not sure if he will get his own surround system in the future but at least he has been exposed to it and knows how good it can sound.
My daughters rarely have joined me, they would much rather read a book or watch a movie but my wife is the same.

peter

yeah! We're lots of old farts in here;)
But I intent listen to surround next 30-40 years despite my age

Working with 16-19 year old youngsters and a few years ago I asked 100 of them things about music. And half of then told they would choose better quality than compressed music if it was just as easy to get.
And one of my sons schoolmate got the strix7.1 headset and searched after music in 7.1 but found nothing.... I believe some of the young will care for better quality and a lot buy good headphones so there is hope for the future!

But yes it have allways changed how the youth listened to music and it will again!;)

keep the faith OdysseyMusik :)

its only my experience/opinion but I am finding there are more new surround music releases coming down the pipe right now than I can handle.

surround music will never be anything but a tiny niche at best imho but I feel things are better today with regards the rate of new 5.1 releases and reissues of old Quads than they were when I first signed up here in 2009.

"don't give up on Quad, baby..
we can still come through.."

:upthumb

Someone should make a website for selling multichannel albums digital downloads. 10% can be added the price for running it and send money to the artists who sells downloads...

Maybe from QuadraphonicQuad 2.0 ??!!

I would use a LOT of money the artist could get!

(From this thread)

I have made a new website where I offer free surround mix for artists who want that:
http://janprintz.dk/

Besides the five 5.1 mix’es of albums I’ve been involved in I’m right now working on an instrumental album by Keith Hopcroft and I’ve made a link to a almost 7 minutes teaser as a 96-24 multichannel flac:
If you hit "5.1 teaser (96-24 flac)" it should be played as 5.1 or stereo on computers having 5.1 speakers or stereo speakers connected. (My sons PC are playing it as 5.1 to stereo in his headphones and my own PC are playing it as 5.1)

But I could use your help:
It would be very nice if some of you can make a review of the teaser as a surround mix (not the music only the 5.1 mix) or other of my 5.1 mix. I’ve worked with surroundmix last 6 years, but I’m sure I could use some advice from you in here or if my work is painful to listen to, then I should use my time on something different! ;)
If I (in time) could show some good reviews of my 5.1 skills, then I could contact bigger names and ask them if I should make them some free 5.1 mix.

More info on my web (if you can understand my Danish-English;)

Have a plan later turning my website to a 5.1 streamingservice (in 96-24) for those artists who would like to have a track or two (or maybe more) on my web. Then people can by full album if they want them all....

Thanks for your time!
Hi from Jan:)

PS. I can give you a link for my Odyssey or Nexus Six mix if you like to make a 5.1 review (a short one or longer is ok with me)

I have had the idea of doing public "screenings" of surround mixes, but in Denver I have had very little enthusiasm returned when I table the idea.

I have changed my tactics. I now am making a point of sharing my surround passion with friends and acquaintances one or two people at a time. I try to have more than my own genre of music in surround so I can "meet them where they live." I am trying to be a Johnny Appleseed of surround. I keep track of what I have played in a session so that if they come back I can avoid overlaps.

Since my first session in 2013 I have conducted at lease 45 of these listening sessions. Many will walk away with a shrug, but few have not been impressed with what I shared. Several have gone on to buy their own systems, and that is the best I can hope for.

Perhaps some day I will find enough people to support a group session in a larger venue, but for now I am just chipping away and having fun doing so!

Thanks a lot!!! :banana:
And very happy to get a 9 out of 10 for the 5.1 mix;) :cool:

Working on a website where people can buy digital downloads of hi rez multichannel music (and stream some of the album for free in hi rez) starting with my own projects and the instrumental Keith Hopcroft album and hopeful others 5.1 mixes to come. Then the bands/artists can be supported if people buy full albums.
Everything is on Youtube ect in a poor quality and the artists get almost nothing for it. Think my website could work better for those who want to listen to hi rez music.

Hi!

I find it likely in a year or two that a LOT MORE will start listen to multichannel music. Synergy2.jpg

See more on:
http://printzmusic.com/Synergy.html

What is your opinion?

Any one in here know one who could make this kind of app?

Hello
I,m sure with the help of this community and others too , we can help channel new bands etc towards your project of 5.1 mixing and streaming of the music.
Its a wonderful offer .
Count me in to help out in any way i can.
Jc

This seemed like the best place to put this from a KSCope email I got. I can't get to the 5.1 playback, too far away!
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-optimist-51-playback-live-interview-qa-tickets-33992027068

ANATHEMA ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE THE OPTIMIST. ADVANCE 5.1 PLAYBACK EVENT IN LONDON MONDAY 5th JUNE 2017 – TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW

Anathema are giving fans the opportunity to attend an exclusive event in London to hear their new album The Optimist ahead of release in glorious 5.1 surround sound.

The event will feature a 5.1 Playback of the entire album on a high end surround system supplied by KEF in the presence of Daniel and Vincent Cavanagh.

Prior to the playback Amit Sharma (Kerrang! / Total Guitar / Planet Rock Magazine) will interview the brothers about how the record came to be. After the playback the audience can ask Daniel & Vincent whatever question(s) they may have.

Vincent Cavanagh “We're really looking forward to this. Listening to the album on a high end 5.1 audio system is a new experience even for us. The night isn't just a preview of 'The Optimist' but it's also a chance for people to gain a unique insight into what this album is all about. There's a lot to take in, especially with all the artwork/visual side of the story. After the playback Daniel and Vincent will open up the floor to questions from the audience.”

Doors open at 18:30 and the event is scheduled to end around 22:00.

Tickets available here: www.eventbrite.co.uk

EDIT: Tickets are £27.50!

Hi!

At last my new web-site have started! :banana:

Surroundmusic.one offers streaming & sales of high res multichannel music & has official opened today & I hope that I can get a lot other artist to sell their MC-flac on this site! Starting to ask all with 5.1 on Bandcamp (who only supports 44-16 stareo sales & streaming) - Please spread the word!
If you visit an 5.1 artist on their blog, forum or social media-site (as facebook) please them them they can support the spreading of high res multichannel music (and maybe sell some more of their music) on Surroundmusic.one

Until now I've added my own ambient/electronic projects (most for testing) but soon (21. July) will a very nice instrumental album be released:
Keith Hopcroft - Route Secondaire be released as 96-24 flac / blu-ray.
Keith plays a very nice guitar (and the other instruments/programming) - Listen to a 5.1 teaser og stereo form Soundcloud on:
https://surroundmusic.one/album/keith-hopcroft-route-secondaire/

This site is a part of my new small company Printz Music. I'll offer 5.1 mix out of stereo album instrument / vocal tracks as I did with Keith Hopcroft album.
Next project will be two guys who soon have finish an album inspired of the music of Beatles.

Hi!

At last my new web-site have started! :banana:

Surroundmusic.one offers streaming & sales of high res multichannel music & has official opened today & I hope that I can get a lot other artist to sell their MC-flac on this site! Starting to ask all with 5.1 on Bandcamp (who only supports 44-16 stareo sales & streaming) - Please spread the word!
If you visit an 5.1 artist on their blog, forum or social media-site (as facebook) please them them they can support the spreading of high res multichannel music (and maybe sell some more of their music) on Surroundmusic.one

Until now I've added my own ambient/electronic projects (most for testing) but soon (21. July) will a very nice instrumental album be released:
Keith Hopcroft - Route Secondaire be released as 96-24 flac / blu-ray.
Keith plays a very nice guitar (and the other instruments/programming) - Listen to a 5.1 teaser og stereo form Soundcloud on:
https://surroundmusic.one/album/keith-hopcroft-route-secondaire/

This site is a part of my new small company Printz Music. I'll offer 5.1 mix out of stereo album instrument / vocal tracks as I did with Keith Hopcroft album.
Next project will be two guys who soon have finish an album inspired of the music of Beatles.

Hi
Impressive work and a site dedicated to 5.1 is most welcome for us all.
Jc

It's possible that I get the chance doing a 5.1 mix of Marco Minnemann's new album Borrego (feat. Joe Satriani & Alex Lifeson)
He loves 5.1 and would like to have a 5.1 mix of his albums.
So if some of you are on Facebook you can push that in the right direction and ask for a 5.1 mix on his page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=737840888&fref=ts

Borrego is in my ears one of the best albums in this millennium; So great drums, guitars and arrangements. Variated and intense and it grows the more I hear it!

Released yesterday on:
Lazy Bones: http://lazybones.com/buy-stuff
PledgeMusic (where you’ll also receive exclusive video and audio bonus content):
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/marcominneman

It's possible that I get the chance doing a 5.1 mix of Marco Minnemann's new album Borrego (feat. Joe Satriani & Alex Lifeson)
He loves 5.1 and would like to have a 5.1 mix of his albums.
So if some of you are on Facebook you can push that in the right direction and ask for a 5.1 mix on his page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=737840888&fref=ts

Borrego is in my ears one of the best albums in this millennium; So great drums, guitars and arrangements. Variated and intense and it grows the more I hear it!

Released yesterday on:
Lazy Bones: http://lazybones.com/buy-stuff
PledgeMusic (where you’ll also receive exclusive video and audio bonus content):
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/marcominneman

Wow! What a great idea!
I sent him a personal message to push him to do a surround mix
and to come over here to this wonderful place! :)

Back