More surround SACD albums from Audio Fidelity before the end of 2016?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, really scraping the barrel with those releases.

Hardly bottom of the barrel. Evil Empire is a great album, as is RATM's debut which was released by AF on SACD earlier this year. To me this is far more exciting than 95% of AF's other releases, surround or not. Glad to see they are continuing with the Rage catalog. There is music beyond 1975.

As mentioned before, Audio Fidelity will be issuing Multichannel SACDs on a less frequent basis from now on. Much as Acoustic Sounds has done for years with their SACD reissues. That's still the case.

Well that's good to know. I wish that they would dangle a title in front of us, like let us know what they are working on for the future. Maybe leak a picture of a tape box of something just to keep us excited, and hint at a January release in 4.0.

There are still some M/C discs coming FOR SURE. Marshall just ran two titles by me for my thoughts.

I let him know what I thought about them. (I hope that didn't tick him off!) ;)

There are still some M/C discs coming FOR SURE. Marshall just ran two titles by me for my thoughts.

Oh geez Jon - either that was a tongue in cheek comment...or you are suggesting that you weren't that happy with the selections. :yikes

Hardly bottom of the barrel. Evil Empire is a great album, as is RATM's debut which was released by AF on SACD earlier this year. To me this is far more exciting than 95% of AF's other releases, surround or not. Glad to see they are continuing with the Rage catalog. There is music beyond 1975.

I am with you on how excellent EE is but I will take 85% of AF releases in multichannel over this in stereo. My CD sounds fine.

Jon, can you at least give us an indication whether these titles were hard rock, soft rock, jazz or otherwise? Sounds like you weren't that thrilled with Marshall's choices.

Also were they SONY titles.......or Warner's?

Would sure love some Jefferson Airplane [WORST of] or Starship.

Jon, can you at least give us an indication whether these titles were hard rock, soft rock, jazz or otherwise? Sounds like you weren't that thrilled with Marshall's choices.

Part of the album selection process, whether they are for Stereo SACDs or Multichannel SACDs, are which albums are available from the artists and record labels for licensing.

The good news is that more Audio Fidelity SACD reissues are coming in the year ahead.

Part of the album selection process, whether they are for Stereo SACDs or Multichannel SACDs, are which albums are available from the artists and record labels for licensing.

The good news is that more Audio Fidelity SACD reissues are coming in the year ahead.

Brian, I'm well aware of that. The multichannel pool, Im sure, is serverely diminished by the factors you've expressed but methinks titles like Mannheim Steamroller 8 [where a perfectly exquisite DVD~A was still available] was not a good direction for AF to pursue.

Again, we at QQ have NO clue as to what sells and what does not but have noted that some of AF's multichannel SACDs have shown up at Acoustic Sounds for $10 which is a clear indication of poor sales, etc.

At this juncture, I think we are also aware that poor choices tend to diminish the possibility of healthy doses of increased multichannel releases and are thus concerned that they are 'somewhat' chosen with a modicum of wisdom.

Here's the deal: No, I am not going to tell you what the titles were, or if I thought they were great or sucked. I am assuming that Marshall is asking me in confidence, and I do not want to betray that confidence.

What I will say to you is that if it's a title that I think will not be a great quad release, or a title that might not fit what we're all looking for, I will tell him. It doesn't have to be a title that I particularly do not like to get a down vote from me. I think I can say without too much bull that I have a good feeling what the quad community will think is great and what they will think is crap.

For example, if Marshall asked me if I thought a title that I really liked and wanted in quad would be good, and I knew I would love it but most others would not, I would tell him that. I would also say that something I did not like but had a great quad mix and would be highly sought after by most of the QQ members, I would say that as well.

I want them to do well. I want them to release great quad releases. I don't want them to fail. The worst thing that could happen at this point is that they release a quad SACD of a so-so title that you all think is a bad choice, you don't buy, and the title itself does not sell stereo or otherwise. The first thing that would be said was "It didn't sell because we put the quad tracks on there".

I do not want that to happen.

I cannot control a thing but I can give an opinion. Brian does the same, and you, as their customers, can email them and suggest stuff and see what happens.

It is very important that the next few AF SACDs with surround tracks are "good" releases that we all get fired up about. Something that makes you all go 'eh', is not what I want to see.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. You know what I mean, right? (Even though I probably explained it like crap!)

Here's the deal: No, I am not going to tell you what the titles were, or if I thought they were great or sucked. I am assuming that Marshall is asking me in confidence, and I do not want to betray that confidence.

What I will say to you is that if it's a title that I think will not be a great quad release, or a title that might not fit what we're all looking for, I will tell him. It doesn't have to be a title that I particularly do not like to get a down vote from me. I think I can say without too much bull that I have a good feeling what the quad community will think is great and what they will think is crap.

For example, if Marshall asked me if I thought a title that I really liked and wanted in quad would be good, and I knew I would love it but most others would not, I would tell him that. I would also say that something I did not like but had a great quad mix and would be highly sought after by most of the QQ members, I would say that as well.

I want them to do well. I want them to release great quad releases. I don't want them to fail. The worst thing that could happen at this point is that they release a quad SACD of a so-so title that you all think is a bad choice, you don't buy, and the title itself does not sell stereo or otherwise. The first thing that would be said was "It didn't sell because we put the quad tracks on there".

I do not want that to happen.

I cannot control a thing but I can give an opinion. Brian does the same, and you, as their customers, can email them and suggest stuff and see what happens.

It is very important that the next few AF SACDs with surround tracks are "good" releases that we all get fired up about. Something that makes you all go 'eh', is not what I want to see.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. You know what I mean, right? (Even though I probably explained it like crap!)

Of course I trust your judgement in what would float QQ's collective boat and you explained your p.o.v. perfectly (imho!) the only thing I do kinda struggle with is that the inclusion of Quad on a title that doesn't shift units would be cited as the reason for its failure.. I mean, if it's an inferior album or an artist that no-one cares about these days blame it on that, it's a bit rotten to make Quad the scapegoat isn't it!? :eek:

I would normally be more optimistic about AF anouncing another 4.0 for the end of the year, but looking at how many of their catalog titles are out of stock, I would expect that they would repress the best sellers already mastered rather than release something brand new. They have a considerable number of titles on back order.

I ended up ordering "Spectrum" from Amazon last Friday. I am paying a little more than I wanted to but it's fine as long as it ships right away.

Since there are two or three SACD 4.0 titles from AF I have not yet bought, I'm fine with nothing more this year from a surround point.

I had been waiting until Spectrum came back in stock at importcds or collectors choice so that I could make a larger purchase and save on shipping and even the items bought. But I had to go and get Spectrum elsewhere because I waited five months already for the restock that has yet to happen.

I still need BOC and The Collection. Maybe I can find another AF title or a Jethro Tull SW remix box to get my order up high enough.

And I am still quite impressed that Full Sail came out and is such a nice disc. That one really shows why AF must keep the 4.0 line active. It's an artistic success, and maybe commercial one as well, not 100% sure. But I will always go back to that disc.

I hope that AF has the cash flow for repressing and restocking their sold out titles.

Back